Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl
Author Message
SparhafocPosts: 1333Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40731035

Some 20 people from Multan, Pakistan, have been arrested for ordering the rape of a teenage girl, in revenge for a rape her brother allegedly committed.

Police said the families of the two girls are related.

Members of both had joined forces to decide what should be done.

"A jirga [village council] had ordered the rape of a 16-year-old girl as punishment, as her brother had raped a 12-year-old," police official Allah Baksh told AFP.

He said the village council was approached earlier this month by a man who said his 12-year-old sister had been raped by their cousin.

The council then ordered the complainant to rape the sister of the accused in return - which police say he did.



Probably not a topic that will inspire much surprise or discussion, but I always feel the need to react to such barbaric bullshit.

Perhaps I can recontextualise it to generate more reactions...

Same inane bullshit as in the Bible, where one person pays for the crimes committed by another. Sin transmitted endlessly from father to son, begotten in ancient history, and penalized for today. Jesus' big deal is how he 'sacrificed' himself to pay for our sins, as if that represents justice!

This again shows how the modern world has improved dramatically in terms of moral behavior and reasoning comparative to the past, and comparative to places where religion still holds autocratic sway.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 765Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

I'm tempted to say the more Islamic a place is the more barbaric, more inhuman and more down right evil it is, but I'd be just told that I'm racist.

But yeah, if there are some people who truly deserve an asylum in the West it's people like this girl.
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:21 am
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

Do you think these people from the council should be allowed to live in your country?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 165Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

thenexttodie wrote:Do you think these people from the council should be allowed to live in your country?


Do you mean these particular people in that particular council, or are you talking in a broader sense?

As a general rule (subject to revision in specific situations)......no, I wouldn't like to have those particular people living in the same country as me.
It isn't always entirely up to me though.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:39 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

Steelmage99 wrote:Do you mean these particular people in that particular council, or are you talking in a broader sense?

As a general rule (subject to revision in specific situations)......no, I wouldn't like to have those particular people living in the same country as me.
It isn't always entirely up to me though.


Since living in Europe for the last 6 years, I have to say I have had the "borders kill" "kein mensch ist illegal" ect..mantra drilled at me by 95% of the people I interact with. Where does this idea come from? Because this seems to me a new thing in Europe since my last sabbatical.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:06 am
Steelmage99Posts: 165Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

thenexttodie wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:Do you mean these particular people in that particular council, or are you talking in a broader sense?

As a general rule (subject to revision in specific situations)......no, I wouldn't like to have those particular people living in the same country as me.
It isn't always entirely up to me though.


Since living in Europe for the last 6 years, I have to say I have had the "borders kill" "kein mensch ist illegal" ect..mantra drilled at me by 95% of the people I interact with. Where does this idea come from? Because this seems to me a new thing in Europe since my last sabbatical.


I cannot speak on behalf of Europe. I can only speak for myself.

I am 42 years old, and I have been brought up in a global holistic setting with a mind towards an inclusive attitude towards people from other countries and cultures.
Both my parents were school teachers. My farther specialized in integration of immigrants, and my mother set up social clubs for the women from countries that didn't have a particularly impressive attitude towards women.
So it isn't exactly a "new thing" for me. I cannot remember a time where it wasn't the case that my country received refugees and immigrants from other countries and cultures.

I also cannot recall a time where this state of affairs didn't lead to discussion and debate on what the effects of such immigration would be.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:34 am
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

Steelmage99 wrote:
I cannot speak on behalf of Europe. I can only speak for myself.

I am 42 years old, and I have been brought up in a global holistic setting with a mind towards an inclusive attitude towards people from other countries and cultures.
Both my parents were school teachers. My farther specialized in integration of immigrants, and my mother set up social clubs for the women from countries that didn't have a particularly impressive attitude towards women.
So it isn't exactly a "new thing" for me. I cannot remember a time where it wasn't the case that my country received refugees and immigrants from other countries and cultures.

I also cannot recall a time where this state of affairs didn't lead to discussion and debate on what the effects of such immigration would be.


Did your Mother and Father teach people that borders kill?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 165Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

thenexttodie wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:
I cannot speak on behalf of Europe. I can only speak for myself.

I am 42 years old, and I have been brought up in a global holistic setting with a mind towards an inclusive attitude towards people from other countries and cultures.
Both my parents were school teachers. My farther specialized in integration of immigrants, and my mother set up social clubs for the women from countries that didn't have a particularly impressive attitude towards women.
So it isn't exactly a "new thing" for me. I cannot remember a time where it wasn't the case that my country received refugees and immigrants from other countries and cultures.

I also cannot recall a time where this state of affairs didn't lead to discussion and debate on what the effects of such immigration would be.


Did your Mother and Father teach people that borders kill?


First of all, I didn't capitalize the words "mother" and "father". Why did you?

As to your question; no, as far as I know they are (and were) fine with the concept of borders and separate nation states - as am I.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:44 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

Steelmage99 wrote:




First of all, I didn't capitalize the words "mother" and "father". Why did you?
I don't know. I don't really pay much attention to what words I capitalize. I know I go back and forth in God, god, Bible,bible a lot. This is not for any particular reason. Actually now that I think about it, I think in the country I live in, Mother and Father is always captilized.

Why do you ask?

Steelmage99 wrote:As to your question; no, as far as I know they are (and were) fine with the concept of borders and separate nation states - as am I.
Where do you think the whole "borders kill" mantra arose from?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1333Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

thenexttodie wrote: I don't know. I don't really pay much attention to what words I capitalize. I know I go back and forth in God, god, Bible,bible a lot. This is not for any particular reason. Actually now that I think about it, I think in the country I live in, Mother and Father is always captilized.

Why do you ask?


To resolve this one swiftly.

The words 'mother' and 'father' are not capitalized except when used as a name, i.e. when you call your parents by those monikers or write them in a card, then they're capitalized.

e.g.
my mother
a group of fathers
Hey Mother (Ma, Mama, Pa, Dad etc) do you want a cuppa?
It's Mum, she's on the phone!


thenexttodie wrote:Where do you think the whole "borders kill" mantra arose from?



I've never heard of it but it makes sense immediately in at least one respect.

It's the same way that cliffs can kill if you're floundering at sea, the same way that walls can kill if you're fleeing a mortal threat, the same way that being blocked from escaping an imminent danger can directly result in death.

Kill, of course, is politically neutral. It doesn't charge anyone with anything, it just means to result in death.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 765Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

thenexttodie wrote:Do you think these people from the council should be allowed to live in your country?

No.

I'm a firm believer of "my house, my rules". Do you think that rape is an acceptable punishment? Do you think raping an innocent is a good punishment for the relatives of that innocent? If you do, then no, you have moral values so far removed from ours that I can not imagine you being a good member of our society.

On a more positive note that gives a glimmer of hope: Pakistani police arrest village council who 'ordered rape of girl as revenge for brother's crime'
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 165Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

thenexttodie wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:




First of all, I didn't capitalize the words "mother" and "father". Why did you?
I don't know. I don't really pay much attention to what words I capitalize. I know I go back and forth in God, god, Bible,bible a lot. This is not for any particular reason. Actually now that I think about it, I think in the country I live in, Mother and Father is always captilized.

Why do you ask?


Sheer curiosity. If you had answered; "because I am German" I would understand much better. :) Are you German?

thenexttodie wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:As to your question; no, as far as I know they are (and were) fine with the concept of borders and separate nation states - as am I.
Where do you think the whole "borders kill" mantra arose from?


I have no idea.
I haven't heard that particular mantra.
Were I to guess, it is just a simple (somewhat hyperbolic) contraction of; "We should be more open to a more world-wide society, as some people needs our help to such an extent that us not helping could lead to their death."
Doesn't quite roll of the tongue as "Borders Kill!!". :)
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 am
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistan village council orders 'revenge rape' of girl

Steelmage99 wrote:
Sheer curiosity. If you had answered; "because I am German" I would understand much better. :) Are you German?



I am an American but have been living and working in Germany for a long time. I love Germany.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests
cron