Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

What to do about North Korea?

[ 112 posts ] 
What to do about North Korea?
SparhafocPosts: 1653Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: What to do about North Korea?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-north ... DE2ON?il=0

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. Senate committee on Tuesday held the first congressional hearing in more than four decades on the president’s authority to launch a nuclear strike, amid concern that tensions over North Korea’s weapons program could lead to war.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:05 am
TreePosts: 158Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:08 pm Gender: Tree

Sparhafoc wrote:http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2017/09/no-we-cannot-shoot-down-north-koreas-missiles/141070/

It's time national leaders speak realistically about missile defense.

The number one reason we don’t shoot down North Korea’s missiles is that we cannot.

It should be noted that missile defense technology is not 100% reliable, especially if they shoot multiple rockets at once.

Hence why NK disarmament in the long-term is preferable. The sooner it's done the easier it will be for everyone. (At some point it will become impossible) Maybe if they did this during the Bill Clinton era there would have been far less trouble. There was a time when they didn't have nukes at all.

Another reason why it's not set in stone that military intervention = always bad.

If South and North Korea are going to have a war, it’s going to be all because of Trump.

"all because of Trump" no, I can think of dozens of other people who have far more responsibility for this mess, like the last 3 presidents and of course the psychopath in chief Kim Jong Un. And Karl Marx and everyone who ever took his ideology seriously without which there would be no communist NK.
Last edited by Tree on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Tree wrote:"all because of Trump" no, I can think of dozens of other people who have far more responsibility for this mess, like the last 3 presidents and of course the psychopath in chief Kim Jong Un. And Karl Marx and everyone who ever took his ideology seriously without which there would be no communist NK.

And Vasco de Gama for discovering India, and Mitochondial Eve for being the ultimate forebear of Kim Jong Un's mother who bore him, and Yahweh for magicking up the world.... and anyone else except the two narcissists beating their chests at each other while possessing the capacity to rain destruction down on the world. Oh wait, no - one of those is at fault too, but not the other one: he's a saint.

And remember, Im So-jeong asserts otherwise, so you must be wrong. Right? That's how it works - we divine truth by how confidently someone asserts their position.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:54 pm

I didn't say that, I just debunked the claim that you can use Trump as a scapegoat for all of this.

NK and SK were heading for war before Trump. Hell, they still are at war technically. No peace treaty was ever made, it's a decades old armistice.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Tree wrote:I didn't say that, I just debunked the claim that you can use Trump as a scapegoat for all of this.

Which claim was that?

And where did you 'debunk' it?

And where was any statement made that has Trump as a scapegoat?

Tree wrote:NK and SK were heading for war before Trump.

I am still intrigued as to where you purchased your crystal ball. Was it from Amazon, by chance?

Tree wrote: Hell, they still are at war technically. No peace treaty was ever made, it's a decades old armistice.

So they weren't heading for war is what you're saying? ;)
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Which claim was that?

And where did you 'debunk' it?

And where was any statement made that has Trump as a scapegoat?

I am amused by these attempts to play the ultra-skeptic while in reality you're either in denial or have a really short attention span.

You quoted someone say:

If South and North Korea are going to have a war, it’s going to be all because of Trump.

"ALL because of Trump"? Not even remotely true. This is propaganda. In order to find the culprits for the problem and assess their level of responsibility for it, you have to go back to the roots.

Why did NK get nukes? Clinton allowed them to with a shitty deal that was just a cover to continue their program in other ways and Bush wasn't forceful enough to stop them.

Why was NK allowed to continue this? Obama did nothing.

Why does NK even exist and why is Kim regime even in power? The US and SK didn't destroy it when they had a chance. Well it's only going to get a whole lot worse.

Trump will have his share of blame, but it's not a lot. There's actually very little he could do to avert a crisis there.

He can sit idle - shit will happen, Kim will think US is weak and attack SK (US is not going to defend SK if Kim can point nukes at the US to get it to back off, period)
He can go to war - shit will happen (doesn't mean bigger shit won't happen later down the line from inaction)
He can try diplomacy - very likely it won't succeed because the Kim regime doesn't accept any negotiations on the nukes and ICBMs, that's not a point they want to negotiate

What do you want him to do at this point?

I am still intrigued as to where you purchased your crystal ball. Was it from Amazon, by chance?

You don't need a crystal ball to notice that Kim's goals are Korean reunification under communism and the only thing stopping them is the promise of US retaliation.

But as I said, US will not interfere if Kim can start pointing ICBMs at the US armed with nukes. No ally will be worth the risk then.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Tree wrote:I am amused by these attempts to play the ultra-skeptic while in reality you're either in denial or have a really short attention span.

You are amused by the products of your own imagination.

As I obviously cited the paragraph in question, I also know the context. But I am provoking you to actually note the context which consequently undermines your confident assertions. To wit: you cite the post in which I quote some lady on the street saying X, you ignore the entire content of my post to address that quote instead, and you do so by just asserting your way through the entire conversation.

Tree wrote:You quoted someone say:

"ALL because of Trump"? Not even remotely true.

See?

You did it again.

It's quite simple Tree, you actually seem to think you can dictate reality, that your opinion is the law whereas it's not actually worth a ha'penny jizz because there's nothing beneath the surface of the assertion except the assertion itself.

That was the entire point of that post - to hold up a mirror to you.

Tree wrote:This is propaganda.

:lol:

Propaganda by those dastardly South Koreans who are uber secretly in league with North Korea and want to be invaded by him?

Crackpottery - and predicted crackpottery at that. It's like you didn't even read my post!

I pre-empted you in that very post by telling that lady that she's committing treason because... Tree disagrees with her. :D

Tree wrote:In order to find the culprits for the problem and assess their level of responsibility for it, you have to go back to the roots.

Culprits for what problems?

She said IF X happens, then Y is to blame.

She's talking about a proximate relation, i.e. someone blustering and loudmouthing and escalating the tension which then creates the actual conflict.

While I don't accept her opinion as fact, hers at least doesn't depend on specious forays into handwaving to evade criticism of a single individual.

Tree wrote:Why did NK get nukes? Clinton allowed them to with a shitty deal that was just a cover to continue their program in other ways and Bush wasn't forceful enough to stop them.

Yes, we did this, and Vasco de Gama discovered India, and Mitochondrial Eve ultimately birthed Jong-un's mother. Also, the price of fish is increasing, isn't it?

Tree wrote:Why was NK allowed to continue this? Obama did nothing.

Why on Earth did Genghis Khan fail to conquer Korea?

Tree wrote:Why does NK even exist and why is Kim regime even in power? The US and SK didn't destroy it when they had a chance. Well it's only going to get a whole lot worse.

Those Altaic Koguryo people who colonized the Korean peninsula have a lot to answer for!

Tree wrote:Trump will have his share of blame, but it's not a lot. There's actually very little he could do to avert a crisis there.

I pre-empted all of this in the post you're supposedly replying to! :lol:

Sparhafoc wrote:Now, now South Korean lady, get with the program! Trump's here to save you from war by going to war. You know - there's this threat, the potential of North Korea attacking you because, as we all know, that's what bad people do. So what we're going to do is ensure that threat occurs by attacking North Korea, because that's what good people do. It makes sense just so long as you give it not a moment's thought. Thinking about it is, for all intents and purposes, treason.

One thing Trump could do to avert a crisis there is to not cause a crisis there.

Clearly, this is rocket science.

Tree wrote:He can sit idle - shit will happen, Kim will think US is weak and attack SK (US is not going to defend SK if Kim can point nukes at the US to get it to back off, period)

Was it this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Amlong-Crystal-B ... B000PNACEG

Quite expensive, but I guess a small price to pay for knowing all possible future outcomes.

Tree wrote:He can go to war - shit will happen (doesn't mean bigger shit won't happen later down the line from inaction)

Better the shit we know than the shit we don't amirite? Especially as all that shit happens to those foreign people.

Tree wrote:He can try diplomacy - very likely it won't succeed because the Kim regime doesn't accept any negotiations on the nukes and ICBMs, that's not a point they want to negotiate

Name a country which does!

Oh wait, Iran did and look where that got them with Trump! :lol:

Tree wrote:What do you want him to do at this point?

I've got a long list of things I want Trump to do, but in terms of nuclear wars - just one thing: not start one.

Have you really still not grasped this?

Tree wrote:
Sparhafoc wrote: am still intrigued as to where you purchased your crystal ball. Was it from Amazon, by chance?

You don't need a crystal ball to notice that Kim's goals are Korean reunification under communism and the only thing stopping them is the promise of US retaliation.

No you don't - what you would need a crystal ball for is all the claims about the future and all possible future outcomes that you have confidently asserted numerous times.

Tree wrote:But as I said, US will not interfere if Kim can start pointing ICBMs at the US armed with nukes. No ally will be worth the risk then.

More Trump isolationism. It's amazing how far he and his supporters have dragged us backwards to a much more brutal and fearful past, and in such a short time.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 pm

You are an incredibly confused person.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Tree wrote:You are an incredibly confused person.

Is that what you think? Why don't you dictate up some more reality according to the gospel of Tree. Some ad hominem attacks on your interlocutor will show how stellar your reasoning capacity is - I mean, look how well it worked calling me treasonous! :lol:

Have you ever heard of the term in psychology called 'projection'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually intolerant may constantly accuse other people of being intolerant. It incorporates blame shifting.

Note the point about the habitual nature of the phenomenon, how the person engaging in such projection constantly accuses others of that quality?

Tree wrote:This shows not only how confused you are morally...

Tree wrote:A total waste of human potential that this morally confused simpleton just dismisses out of hand.

Here I am not just confused, but I am a simpleton too! :)

Tree wrote:You are very confused morally.

Tree wrote:I hope that clarifies why I will not retract any statement I made about Sparhafoc's character.

What is clear is that I am not confused by your repeated specious arguments, so if I am confused, I am not confused enough for you.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm
MindHackPosts: 61Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:05 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Couldn´t this (secretly) be about the weapons industry just wanting to sell weapons?

I mean, how useful it would be for the arms dealers, to have a tool like Trump actively destabilizing world relations - making everybody feel as if they need to prepare for some impending doom?
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 pm
MindHackPosts: 61Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:05 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

North Korea just isn't the threat they are made out to be by the Trumpoids.

Last edited by MindHack on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:00 am

Well, it is really disturbing on a whole new level in discussing the usage of nuclear weapons when hearing it from a sock puppet! :shock: :lol:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:41 am
Previous
 [ 112 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law