Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

What to do about North Korea?

[ 188 posts ] 
What to do about North Korea?
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4304Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: What to do about North Korea?

I have split the topic seeing as it moved away from North Korea.
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2597Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

australopithecus wrote:I have split the topic seeing as it moved away from North Korea.

I find your wording here offensive and insensitive... to all those people who cannot just "split" and move away from North Korea.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1831Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Speaking as a representative of North Korea's government: we're taking names.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:13 am
MatthewLeePosts: 65Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:04 pm Gender: Male

Sparhafoc wrote:Speaking as a representative of North Korea's government: we're taking names.

Have they discussed Juche yet in this thread? any discussion of NK I feel should include a discussion of their political and propaganda philosophy. We keep talking about how to handle them but maybe we can talk about WHY to handle them and why they think like they do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCG5qMgmBo

Does anyone know anything interesting about this?
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2963Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

The problem is that allowing anyone to have nukes is going to make other people want them. The world is an uneven playing field so far as nuclear weapons go, some countries have them, some don't. So long as that scenario exists you'll always run the risk of a rogue country coming along and trying to gain some negotiating power on the world stage by developing nuclear weapons. Its also understandable that North Korea might feel threatened having seen what the US had done in Iraq. It would go a long way to solving the issue if the superpowers in the world took meaningful steps towards disarmament. How can someone quite hostile come along and tell you that you can't have any nukes while themselves sitting on a stockpile? The argument for North Korea abandoning their nuclear programme would be bolstered if other major powers were also committed to disarmament. It might seem like pie in the sky, but I think its far more sensible than playing power games with weapons that could kill everyone on the planet.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:51 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 784Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Laurens wrote:The problem is that allowing anyone to have nukes is going to make other people want them. The world is an uneven playing field so far as nuclear weapons go, some countries have them, some don't. So long as that scenario exists you'll always run the risk of a rogue country coming along and trying to gain some negotiating power on the world stage by developing nuclear weapons. Its also understandable that North Korea might feel threatened having seen what the US had done in Iraq. It would go a long way to solving the issue if the superpowers in the world took meaningful steps towards disarmament. How can someone quite hostile come along and tell you that you can't have any nukes while themselves sitting on a stockpile? The argument for North Korea abandoning their nuclear programme would be bolstered if other major powers were also committed to disarmament. It might seem like pie in the sky, but I think its far more sensible than playing power games with weapons that could kill everyone on the planet.

I think you are overly optimistic. Even if all the nuclear powers decided tomorrow to dismantle all their nukes, there would be some country ten or twenty years from now, if not at this moment, that would try and build one. The nuclear kitten can't be put back in the box, as much as we'd like to think it would be a very good idea. There is something soothing in having the biggest stick in the neighborhood after all, specially if you are doing things other people don't like.
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2963Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Visaki wrote:
Laurens wrote:The problem is that allowing anyone to have nukes is going to make other people want them. The world is an uneven playing field so far as nuclear weapons go, some countries have them, some don't. So long as that scenario exists you'll always run the risk of a rogue country coming along and trying to gain some negotiating power on the world stage by developing nuclear weapons. Its also understandable that North Korea might feel threatened having seen what the US had done in Iraq. It would go a long way to solving the issue if the superpowers in the world took meaningful steps towards disarmament. How can someone quite hostile come along and tell you that you can't have any nukes while themselves sitting on a stockpile? The argument for North Korea abandoning their nuclear programme would be bolstered if other major powers were also committed to disarmament. It might seem like pie in the sky, but I think its far more sensible than playing power games with weapons that could kill everyone on the planet.

I think you are overly optimistic. Even if all the nuclear powers decided tomorrow to dismantle all their nukes, there would be some country ten or twenty years from now, if not at this moment, that would try and build one. The nuclear kitten can't be put back in the box, as much as we'd like to think it would be a very good idea. There is something soothing in having the biggest stick in the neighborhood after all, specially if you are doing things other people don't like.
I agree that it is very optimistic. I do not see another solution though, other than North Korea has nukes and we have to accept that and whatever it might bring.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 am
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 784Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Laurens wrote:I agree that it is very optimistic. I do not see another solution though, other than North Korea has nukes and we have to accept that and whatever it might bring.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Only other option I can think of is that China gives NK, and more importantly Kim in person, security guarantee and a defensive alliance for giving up the nukes. But I'm not that sure it really is an option as I don't know Kim that well.
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:13 pm
Previous
 [ 188 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law