Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The death penalty

[ 127 posts ] 
The death penalty
itsdemtitansBloggerUser avatarPosts: 706Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm Gender: Male

Post The death penalty

What's everyone's opinion on the Death Penalty? Useless? Justified? Absurd?

I for one find it to be barbaric. If even one innocent man is given the death penalty, and we know many have been wrongfully executed, then it isn't worth it.
Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:52 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5001Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: The death penalty

It's an anachronism. It isn't a deterrent, it isn't justice, and it certainly isn't civilised. That it still happens in a supposedly modern liberal democracy beggars belief.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:11 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3318Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Let us not forget the outright racism that appears to be inherit to it in the U.S.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:01 pm
YIM WWW
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2354Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Two words: Derek Bentley.
Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:27 pm
surreptitious57Posts: 218Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:09 am Gender: Male

So if you want a human bring to suffer for a crime that they have committed the worst thing you can do is to execute
them for one rather very obvious reason. However the best thing you can do is to put them into solitary confinement
for the remainder of their life and then deprive them of all mental and physical stimulation beyond what is absolutely
necessary to keep them alive. Now I would gladly take execution every single time if that were the only other option
And so those that believe in the death penalty as the ultimate form of punishment have not got the first clue about it
As once someone is dead they cannot suffer any more. Keeping them alive is the logical thing to do in that scenario

However it goes without saying that in the twenty first century no country in the world including the non developed ones
should be executing their own citizens regardless of their crime. Instead imprison them and make productive use of their
time so that it is not wasted even if they are never actually going to be released. As that is the right and proper thing to do

What is not the right thing and proper thing to do America is to strap someone down then wait for up to twenty five minutes
for them to die from the lethal injection you just gave them. It takes all of one second to fire a bullet into someones skull and
instantly kill them. So if you really must insist on executing your own at least do it by the most quick and least painful method
possible. And lest I be accused of selectivity the same goes for all other countries that indulge in this barbaric practice as well

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:06 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4282Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Definitely nope.
Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:14 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1183Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Societies that focus on rehbilitation instead of punishment seem to have bettter qualit of living for all citizens than those crazy for punishment.

On one hand I'd want to execute them all. But I realise this leads nowhere, at least no where good. So why keep doing something that we know doesn't work?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:30 pm
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

The fact that free will probably doesn't exist makes it even harder to justify the death penalty, IMO.
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:49 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

My opposition to the death penalty has to due with the justice system. It is too easy for the wrong person to get convicted of a crime they did not commit. Also, I'm not a big fan of the lack of free will defense.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:07 pm
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

To be clear, I don't see the lack of free will as a legal defence -- society needs a means of dealing with crime -- but I think it has to inform how we treat criminals.
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

SpecialFrog wrote:To be clear, I don't see the lack of free will as a legal defence -- society needs a means of dealing with crime -- but I think it has to inform how we treat criminals.

Well, in that case I agree with you.
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 pm
redPosts: 142Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:11 am

tuxbox wrote:My opposition to the death penalty has to due with the justice system. It is too easy for the wrong person to get convicted of a crime they did not commit. Also, I'm not a big fan of the lack of free will defense.

The death penalty seems to make little difference as a deterrent. Yet it seems to make a large slice of society feel "safe". Incarceration serves the same purpose, but needs a wholesale root and branch cleansing. (Prisons are the best training grounds for criminals.)
Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:07 pm

red wrote:
tuxbox wrote:My opposition to the death penalty has to due with the justice system. It is too easy for the wrong person to get convicted of a crime they did not commit. Also, I'm not a big fan of the lack of free will defense.

The death penalty seems to make little difference as a deterrent. Yet it seems to make a large slice of society feel "safe". Incarceration serves the same purpose, but needs a wholesale root and branch cleansing. (Prisons are the best training grounds for criminals.)

I totally agree with you here!
Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:18 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 518Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Definitely against the death penalty. In the US, I think our entire penal system is broken and people get cashiered through the system, server their time, and find no future waiting for them when they get out. I don't think a nation is considered sane when you jail someone for a minor drug offense, ruin their life, and cause them to be dependent on the same institution for their future needs...
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:21 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Let us not forget the outright racism that appears to be inherit to it in the U.S.

Not sure what you mean by this. I have been all over the U.S. as well as the E.U. Europe is so racist that even the white people are racist against other white people. And if you happen to be black, forget about it.

In the U.S. sentences are generally mandated by a point system. And we have a system for appeals. Not saying its a good system, but I think you are trying to paint a picture of judges sentencing people to death because they are black. Right?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:43 pm

thenexttodie wrote:In the U.S. sentences are generally mandated by a point system. And we have a system for appeals. Not saying its a good system, but I think you are trying to paint a picture of judges sentencing people to death because they are black. Right?

Judges don't sentence people to death in the US. Juries do.

The factors that affect how often this happens are complicated but here are some good links:
- http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issu ... y-and-race
- http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-and-death-penalty

And while racism in Europe certainly exists, it is kind of irrelevant in this case because nowhere in Europe has the death penalty (except apparently for Belarus).
Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3318Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

thenexttodie wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:Let us not forget the outright racism that appears to be inherit to it in the U.S.

Not sure what you mean by this. I have been all over the U.S. as well as the E.U. Europe is so racist that even the white people are racist against other white people. And if you happen to be black, forget about it.

In the U.S. sentences are generally mandated by a point system. And we have a system for appeals. Not saying its a good system, but I think you are trying to paint a picture of judges sentencing people to death because they are black. Right?

I am not painting anything. Unlike you, when I make a claim, I can back it with facts and statisics. This is beyond the excellent point that SpecialFrog brought up about judges and juries, which exposes your lack of knowledge of this field. Which is not surprising, considering your track record on this forum this far.
Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:57 pm
YIM WWW

thenexttodie wrote:In the U.S. sentences are generally mandated by a point system. And we have a system for appeals. Not saying its a good system, but I think you are trying to paint a picture of judges sentencing people to death because they are black. Right?

SpecialFrog wrote:Judges don't sentence people to death in the US. Juries do.
Yes!

SpecialFrog wrote:The factors that affect how often this happens are complicated
Of how often what happens? What are you talking about?

SpecialFrog wrote:And while racism in Europe certainly exists, it is kind of irrelevant in this case because nowhere in Europe has the death penalty (except apparently for Belarus).

The reason why Europe does not have the death penalty has nothing to with racism. Europeans are way more racist than Americans are.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:42 pm

thenexttodie wrote:Europeans are way more racist than Americans are.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 pm
YIM WWW

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
I am not painting anything. Unlike you, when I make a claim, I can back it with facts and statisics. This is beyond the excellent point that SpecialFrog brought up about judges and juries, which exposes your lack of knowledge of this field. Which is not surprising, considering your track record on this forum this far.

LOL Ok buddy. Europe is way more racist than the U.S.
Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:06 am
Next
 [ 127 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law