Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 4 of 4
 [ 71 posts ] 
Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental
Author Message
thenexttodiePosts: 567Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

Laurens wrote:
This pretty much confirms that you're just trolling. Have fun, I'm not going to feed you anymore. You're clearly not interested in sensible discussion.


Really? Just because I knew someone who accidently blew his fucking head off while high on marijuana? That makes you so mad you don't want to talk to me anymore?
Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:15 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2934Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

thenexttodie wrote:
Laurens wrote:
This pretty much confirms that you're just trolling. Have fun, I'm not going to feed you anymore. You're clearly not interested in sensible discussion.


Really? Just because I knew someone who accidently blew his fucking head off while high on marijuana? That makes you so mad you don't want to talk to me anymore?


Yes really.

You clearly just make shit up to be a troll. You have never contributed anything sensible to any discussions. You consistently derail interesting threads and quite frankly you ought to have been banned long ago. Most trolls don't last this long here.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:53 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

I've never heard of anyone committing suicide while smoking pot. :o
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:26 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 567Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

It wasn't a suicicide. It was an accident. It was the boyfriend of my best friends sister. I was only like 11 or 12 at the time.
Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:23 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

thenexttodie wrote:It wasn't a suicicide. It was an accident. It was the boyfriend of my best friends sister. I was only like 11 or 12 at the time.


Sorry about that, I mis-read your post, and I am sorry that he died.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:33 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 567Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

Laurens wrote:You clearly just make shit up to be a troll. You have never contributed anything sensible to any discussions. You consistently derail interesting threads and quite frankly you ought to have been banned long ago. Most trolls don't last this long here.


Your side is winning, Laurens. So don't worry. You basically have the entire support of world wide, main stream media and government, of your worldview.
Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:13 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 663Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

thenexttodie wrote:I don't see why anyone would protest an accurate conveyance of ones beliefs. Or at least an attempt to. Vasaki can correct me if he does not in fact support suicide. Perhaps it's a bit off topic but he was the one brought it up. So wtf?

It's a red herring but... my answer is yes and no. I think I've made myself clear in the euthanasia thread but if you have further questions or want to discuss this matter further that'd be a better place for it.

God had men women and babies killed. I believe we all have fundamental right to life but I also believe God has the authority to end our lives or to give the authority to for instance, judges, who should sentence people to death for committing certain crimes like murder.

What's with the "but"? Can we say something is a fundamental right if we have a "but"?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness but....

I know it all totally blows your mind and you will never understand it.

Yes, I will never understand why one willingly want's to be amoral.
Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:11 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

Visaki wrote:The difference between the two should be obvious. I'd love to see statistics on how many lives cars save each year vs how many lives guns save each year but I guess that's rather hard to do. But is anyone here actually for 100% ban on gun ownership of private citizens? Or for 100% free everything goes weapon owning?


I'm not sure how many of the members here are for a total ban on firearms, but I bet most are for a ban on hand guns and assault rifles. Which are the two types of firearms under attack in the States. I could be persuaded on the assault rifle ban but not had guns.

Visaki wrote:I went into the "does a gun make you a danger / more dangerous" bit with thenexttodie because I disagree with his statement that having a gun doesn't make you more dangerous, not because I think all guns should be banned only because they make their carrier more dangerous.


How does it make the carrier more dangerous? I mean, if the carrier does not have a violent past and is not a violent person, then I doubt that getting a gun is going to change his/hers violent tendencies.


Visaki wrote:P.S. Why did car deaths plummet in 2007-8? Did people loose their cars in the crash too? Did the Americans finally discover seat belts? Yes I'm being silly but it would be interesting to know the reason for that.


It could be down for those years due to high gas prices, which means less unnecessary travel.


Visaki wrote:P.P.S. If I'm not mistaken most of those gun deaths are suicides. I wonder how many of those could have been prevented if there isn't a suicide button in hand? Mind you this isn't really a good argument for gun bans, the least a total ban, but I think it should be a worth remembering.

EDIT: Found a newer graph. Nothing much new there though, but new stats are better than old stats.
Image


I tried to commit suicide a few years ago and I am glad I did not have a gun at that moment.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:15 am
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 663Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

tuxbox wrote:I'm not sure how many of the members here are for a total ban on firearms, but I bet most are for a ban on hand guns and assault rifles. Which are the two types of firearms under attack in the States. I could be persuaded on the assault rifle ban but not had guns.

I've probably said this before but I find the Finnish way pretty good. We have a ban on automatic weapons, you can own a semiauto rifle (of course shotguns and hunting rifles too), even a Valmet Petra (which is a semiauto version of Finnish army RK95 rifle), and you can get a handgun. You need a permit for each and a reason for getting one (hunting, shooting hobby etc). Licence to carry a handgun in a public place is very hard to get. So we have pretty strict control, but gun ownership is possible if you have a reason for getting a gun.

How does it make the carrier more dangerous? I mean, if the carrier does not have a violent past and is not a violent person, then I doubt that getting a gun is going to change his/hers violent tendencies.

Accidents happen, even to the most qualified gun handlers. We have a case here where a police officer teaching gun safety shot one of his student by accident a few years back. Every person is a danger, the question is how much of a danger. Having a gun raises that danger. The amount might not be significant nor a good argument against gun ownership (and I never claimed it was), but it's not zero unlike thenexttodie claimed. It's a cost/benefit calculation: what is the cost or benefit of this person having a gun, and is it worth it for the society.

Visaki wrote:It could be down for those years due to high gas prices, which means less unnecessary travel.

We're getting offtopic, but... That might be a factor, but the drop is significant and permanent it seems and I find it hard to believe it's just because of drop in km traveled because of gas prices.

I tried to commit suicide a few years ago and I am glad I did not have a gun at that moment.

For what's it worth I'm glad also.
Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:45 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

Visaki wrote:I've probably said this before but I find the Finnish way pretty good. We have a ban on automatic weapons, you can own a semiauto rifle (of course shotguns and hunting rifles too), even a Valmet Petra (which is a semiauto version of Finnish army RK95 rifle), and you can get a handgun. You need a permit for each and a reason for getting one (hunting, shooting hobby etc). Licence to carry a handgun in a public place is very hard to get. So we have pretty strict control, but gun ownership is possible if you have a reason for getting a gun.


Yeah, I like Finland's policy for firearms.


Visaki wrote:Accidents happen, even to the most qualified gun handlers. We have a case here where a police officer teaching gun safety shot one of his student by accident a few years back. Every person is a danger, the question is how much of a danger. Having a gun raises that danger. The amount might not be significant nor a good argument against gun ownership (and I never claimed it was), but it's not zero unlike thenexttodie claimed. It's a cost/benefit calculation: what is the cost or benefit of this person having a gun, and is it worth it for the society.


Accidents=/=dangerous is my opinion. Dangerous would be someone with a disregard to gun safety. Someone who is reckless due to either recklessness or someone who disrespects the power of handling a firearm.


Visaki wrote:
We're getting offtopic, but... That might be a factor, but the drop is significant and permanent it seems and I find it hard to believe it's just because of drop in km traveled because of gas prices.


fair enough...

Visaki wrote:For what's it worth I'm glad also.


Thank you! :)
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:45 am
thenexttodiePosts: 567Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Alcohol vs. firearm: what makes a right fundamental

tuxbox wrote:
I'm not sure how many of the members here are for a total ban on firearms, but I bet most are for a ban on hand guns and assault rifles. Which are the two types of firearms under attack in the States. I could be persuaded on the assault rifle ban but not had guns.


The people who tell assault rifles are bad are the same ones who secretly give them away to civilians in other countries.


tuxbox wrote:I tried to commit suicide a few years ago and I am glad I did not have a gun at that moment.


That's terrible. Never, never, never commit suicide. No matter what.
Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:52 pm
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 4 of 4
 [ 71 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests