Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Fuck the EDL!

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 39 posts ] 
Fuck the EDL!
Author Message
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2987Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Dogma's Demise wrote:I don't think I've said "next decade". Think multiple generations.


:lol:

The time frame doesn't really matter, you're still talking shit
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:19 pm
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

>Fuck the EDL!
>Uses the same logic and statements the EDL does.

Please, do go on about how much you hate the EDL.
Truly, the EDL is an idiotic waste of space and an excuse for nationalists to pursue a cultural superiority over those whom immigrate into the country. No questions about that.
But you're hardly in a position to rant about horrible an organization is if you hold the exact same ordeals that you criticize them for.

Think of it as an American neo-Nazi criticizing a member of the KKK for pushing for white rights.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 pm
Dogma's DemisePosts: 576Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Like I said, the problem with the EDL is that they're not what they claim to be, a peaceful activist group opposing political Islam.

At least I'm not buying it anymore given the repeated shortcomings if not outright failures of this group. Nor do I think they can ever reform into something proper.

I don't have a problem with Jihad Watch for example or its director Robert Spencer. He's not violent, he doesn't inspire violence, he's a far better public speaker than Tommy Robinson, and his case is far more convincing than anything the EDL has to offer. For those who think he's a bigot, well he doesn't hate Muslims, or think that Muslims are generally working against the west in secret, he just thinks Islam is a load of crap and he's opposed to its political aspects.


EDIT: By the way, what do you mean by "cultural superiority"? I mean I know there are a lot of aspects here, I don't think for example that European cuisine is better or worse than Islamic cuisine or whatever, but I think it's safe to say any European culture treats women better than Islamic culture. And that really is something you can and should be proud of.
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government" - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5007Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Dogma's New Champion wrote: I had a feeling you'd reply in that manner.


Of course you did, the premeditated nature of this thread is blindingly obvious.

So defending EDL = bad Criticizing EDL = still bad


No, defending them is untenable, criticising them to gain brownie points with the gallery is laughable.

You agree with them in all ways except their competence, which is ironic because your competence in arguing the espoused views is just as clear.

You're obviously not an idiot, but every single argument you've put forth has been resoundly destroyed, and you still cling to your dogmatic position beyond reason.

You are far more of a threat than the insignificant and barely literate thugs of the EDL; you're a true believer.

It looks like a no-win situation.


This isn't the Kobayashi Maru. You hold the same views as them and disown them because they're quite obviously idiots. That's the only reason.

You might think being able to read a Robert Spencer book makes your argument more refined, but it doesn't; it only shows that you are easily swayed by confirmation bias. A sign of a weak mind, much like the persistent use of straw men, false dichotomies, arguments from popularity, authority and ignorance, what if scenarios, chronically dumb analogies, and blatant falsehoods.

But really now, I actually do feel a bit embarrassed for ever saying something positive about them.


No one really cares, mate. It doesn't strengthen your position one iota.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:57 pm
Dogma's DemisePosts: 576Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Prolescum wrote:You are far more of a threat than the insignificant and barely literate thugs of the EDL; you're a true believer.


Remind me again who actually has voting rights in the UK? Me or Tommy Robinson and his goons?

Who has the power to mobilize a bunch of angry football hooligans?

Who wastes countless taxpayer money on police escorts?
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government" - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 am
bluejatheistPosts: 525Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:28 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Dogma's Demise wrote:
Remind me again who actually has voting rights in the UK? Me or Tommy Robinson and his goons?

Who has the power to mobilize a bunch of angry football hooligans?

Who wastes countless taxpayer money on police escorts?


You know, there were ten other sentences in Prole's post you didn't address.
Just helping out.
Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:55 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5007Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Dogma's Demise wrote:
Prolescum wrote:You are far more of a threat than the insignificant and barely literate thugs of the EDL; you're a true believer.


Remind me again who actually has voting rights in the UK? Me or Tommy Robinson and his goons?


Which part of the quote is exclusive to Britons? How about you take what someone says in context? True believers (fundamentalists like yourself) are a bigger problem than opportunistic thugs.

Who has the power to mobilize a bunch of angry football hooligans?


Which is more of a threat, a bunch of ignorant skinheads and their calls to end Iraqi law in the UK and for the destruction of Muslamic ray guns, or a relatively articulate and otherwise intelligent orator?

Here's a comparison (I know you like those - no, you don't have to answer it)...

Who is more of a threat: a thousand ignorant, barely literate Christians or Eric Hovind?

Who wastes countless taxpayer money on police escorts?


All marches and demonstrations to be held in public require you to notify the police, so a police presence isn't a waste of money; they are protecting the public and their property (you know, one of their duties). This argument holds no water.

Why haven't you challenged my assertion that you suffer severe confirmation bias or that you persistently use straw men, false dichotomies, arguments from popularity, authority and ignorance, what if scenarios, chronically dumb analogies, and blatant falsehoods?
I've said it a number of times...
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 pm
thelawcourtPosts: 2Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:05 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Wow, intense debate to say the least! I just cannot envisage the EDL ever gaining credibility as a pressure group. I wonder what inspires individuals to join, i mean those who are intellectually astute... I suppose the argument would be ethnic minorities (muslims) are "sponging" off the government and the public purse.
Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:46 pm
WWW
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5007Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

As I understand it, their argument lies in a risibly simplistic view of the Qur'an and not the typical "they took our jobs" rhetorical tropes of slow-minded racists. At least as far as their public discussion goes.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:45 am
Dogma's DemisePosts: 576Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Is this how some EDL members show support for victims of Islamic violence:

http://www.edlnews.co.uk/index.php?opti ... Itemid=240
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government" - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:44 am
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4324Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

They're morons. There's no point taking them seriously.
Image
Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:18 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2987Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Interestingly the EDL are in Norwich today (my home town), but you will probably find this more interesting; their website has been hacked:

http://englishdefenceleague.org/

Personally, I have a bit of a problem with the line: "A racist organization like you don't deserve to exist." I mean I don't exactly support the EDL, but what is the difference between saying "Islam doesn't deserve to exist" and "A racist organization like you don't deserve to exist." Not much really I say. The world is full of morons and hypocrites on all ends of the "political spectrum", I guess we should be used to that by now.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 pm
Dogma's DemisePosts: 576Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

UAF engages in similar bullying tactics. They ruined an opportunity for debate between Muslims Debate Initiative and Tommy Robinson about a month ago.

Ironic when the far left behaves worse than fundie Muslims. :lol:
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government" - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:20 am
Your Funny UncleUser avatarPosts: 556Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 amLocation: UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

australopithecus wrote:They're morons. There's no point taking them seriously.

This is how seriously we should take groups like the EDL...

http://wtvr.com/2012/11/11/white-supremacy-rally-clowned-by-counter-protesters/
“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.” - Isaac Asimov
Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 am
WWW
Dogma's DemisePosts: 576Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

I wouldn't necessarily compare them to white supremacists, I'd say EDL is probably a mix of people genuinely concerned about Islam, but too stupid and uneducated to express themselves without hooliganism, Christian supremacists (the kind of people who see Britain as Christian and only Christian, it's not that they give a shit about secularism or atheism), hardcore British nationalists, and yes, white supremacists/nationalists.
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government" - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4324Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

Dogma's Demise wrote:Ironic when the far left behaves worse than fundie Muslims. :lol:


Don't recall UAF flying planes into skyscrapers recently.
Image
Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:27 pm
Dogma's DemisePosts: 576Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

I was referring to the fundies from MDI, not the terrorist kind.
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government" - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:06 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4324Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

So you do draw distinctions when it suits you then?
Image
Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2987Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Fuck the EDL!

australopithecus wrote:So you do draw distinctions when it suits you then?


Ka-pow!
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 am
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 39 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest