Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

How would you manage without the Holocaust?

[ 14 posts ] 
How would you manage without the Holocaust?
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post How would you manage without the Holocaust?

if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:58 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: How would you manage without the Holocaust?

Eh...
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:10 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

;)
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 am
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

WTF?!?

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:20 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Fortunately for myself, lately, I've flooded myself with a few holocaust movies and documentaries.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Last edited by Andiferous on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:23 am

I thought her message was pretty transparent, heavy-handed even...

She is the holocaust, and is asking Israelis to recognise what she was, and is, to them, and to recognise that a ghetto is a ghetto... Sick of being ignored, she offers herself to Palestine.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:30 am

That's strange and interesting.

However, Prolescum, it would be worth explaining this continental exchange, cuz I still do not get it.
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:45 am
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2749Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

I think she is trying to make a point that Jews have gotten away with allot of crap (special int the contex of Isrealo-palestinian conflict) with the excuse that they were once victims of genocide. However to say that the presentation was shity is being to nice.
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:36 pm
FrengerBloggerUser avatarPosts: 831Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

There's a book by Norman Finkelstein on this idea. I haven't got round to reading it yet but I did watch one of his lectures on the subject. As far as I can tell it kind of makes sense although I don't believe anyone has wilfully exploited the holocaust, more everyone has it in the back of their minds whenever they approach the problem of Israel.

The book is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Holocaust-I ... 262&sr=8-1

Good reviews at least.
Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Andiferous wrote:That's strange and interesting.

However, Prolescum, it would be worth explaining this continental exchange, cuz I still do not get it.

You could take her being an anthropomorphic representation of the holocaust as a metaphorical conceit; like, say, Britannia or something. :)

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:09 pm
EpiquinnUser avatarPosts: 93Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:Sick of being ignored, she offers herself to Palestine.

She doesn't need to do that, though, the Palestinians already applaud her.
Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:50 pm
theyounghistorian77ContributorUser avatarPosts: 726Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 amLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:You could take her being an anthropomorphic representation of the holocaust as a metaphorical conceit; like, say, Britannia or something. :)

Certainly left me with the taste of "performance art" and quite amateurish performance art at that. I can understand her message, however it's the way it's being delivered on-screen that's so incredibly off-putting. It's almost something i woud do if i were 5 years old and judging from her other video this style is par for the course for her:

And yes, i have noticed the likes/dislikes bars on both.
"Politics is weird, and creepy, and now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality." - Shep Smith
Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm

theyounghistorian77 wrote:Certainly left me with the taste of "performance art" and quite amateurish performance art at that.

Is there any other kind of performance art? In my experience, it's either performed by amateurs or artists with more passion than talent.

As an aside, I recently met a self-proclaimed poet (just left art college, quelle surprise) who didn't know what a synonym was. I decided not to further criticise the works I was shown. You have no idea how much restraint that took :lol:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 pm
theyounghistorian77ContributorUser avatarPosts: 726Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 amLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:
theyounghistorian77 wrote:Certainly left me with the taste of "performance art" and quite amateurish performance art at that.

Is there any other kind of performance art? In my experience, it's either performed by amateurs or artists with more passion than talent.

:lol: I always thought some are better at conveying themselves than others

Prolescum wrote:As an aside, I recently met a self-proclaimed poet (just left art college, quelle surprise) who didn't know what a synonym was. I decided not to further criticise the works I was shown. You have no idea how much restraint that took :lol:

:lol:
"Politics is weird, and creepy, and now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality." - Shep Smith
Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 pm
 [ 14 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law