Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Legalize Prostitution

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 45 posts ] 
Legalize Prostitution
Author Message
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

AFAIK, in the UK at least, it's solicitation for sex that's illegal not the act or the exchange of money. I'm not sure in this instance how legalising solicitation makes the 'industry' safer, or protects sex workers. Sure regulation works to a point, but it doesn't solve all the problems. Jailing women for prostitution solves nothing either, the pimps and traffickers need the boot up the arse.
Image
Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

Visaki wrote:
tuxbox wrote:I am pretty surprised that has not been mentioned up until now, but a truck load of girls ( and I do mean girls) and women are forced into prostitution against their will. Which in my mind makes laws against prostitution perfectly legititmate.

I disagree. That is not, in my opinion, a good reason to ban prostitution alltogether. It is, however, a good reason for laws and regulations to be put in place to combat human trafficking, then again we already have those and I think that forcing someone into prostitution (specially underage persons) is pretty much illegal in most civilized countries. Here in Finland it's illegal to buy services from an underage (below 18) prostitute and I think that's one of the rare thing the Finnish prostitution legistation gets right.

The question really is if the side effects of prostitution (like human trafficking, forced prostitution and underage prostitution) is a legimate reason to deny the option of becoming a prostitute from those that are willing to consider it without outside coersion? For me the answer is "no". Or do we have members that think that selling sex should be illegal in itself, without even having to consider the negative side effects?


If you asking if I think prostitution should be illegal because I think it is immoral, then the answer is no. However, I cannot ignore the negative side effects which many of them would still exists even if it were legal.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 am
Dogma's DemisePosts: 576Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:If you asking if I think prostitution should be illegal because I think it is immoral, then the answer is no. However, I cannot ignore the negative side effects which many of them would still exists even if it were legal.


Yes, it's not easy to repair the damage that those who made it illegal in the first place created.

Every time you ban a commodity you don't like (but has a large demand nonetheless) you're going to create a black market. Since prostitution deals cannot be legally enforced, the only way to enforce them is by force (violence). It's similar to drug trade. (or alcohol during Prohibition, the mafia was heavily involved in it) Every commodity you make illegal is going to attract the underworld (since they're the only ones with the balls to provide it) and that's the problem, not the commodity itself.
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government" - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 am
Gunboat DiplomatUser avatarPosts: 394Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 pm

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:If you asking if I think prostitution should be illegal because I think it is immoral, then the answer is no. However, I cannot ignore the negative side effects which many of them would still exists even if it were legal.

Hold on a second...

You do know that all these "side effects" that you're talking about, such as human trafficking, exist right now despite how illegal prostitution currently is in North America, right? Is it your contention that these "side effects" will increase if we legalize it? You don't think they might decrease since, if prostitution were perfectly legal, the prostitutes could turn to law enforcement for help?

As it is right now, we here in North America can't help them because we've made what they do illegal. We would be legally obligated to put them in jail for the crime of... according to you, being victims. I don't see how making their profession illegal is helping these women at all. It honestly makes me wonder if you really care about helping them...
Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:30 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

Let's assume for a second that legalizing prostitution will actually cut down on human trafficking. There are still issues like STDs that would more than likely increase. Would it not??
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 am
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 812Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:Let's assume for a second that legalizing prostitution will actually cut down on human trafficking. There are still issues like STDs that would more than likely increase. Would it not??

If human trafficking is cut then it would be safe to assume that the total number of prostitutes is cut, thus less STDs. Also if prostitution because legal they would have access to better healthcare and education about the dangers of STDs, thus less STDs. Legal prostitutes would have a better chance of having control over their customers (I think at least) and having a mandatory "only do me with a condom" policy, thus less STDs. I might be wrong in all these points but I don't think STDs can be used as a good argument for banning prostitution. After all there are ways of protecting oneself from them, and both prostitutes and non-prostitutes use them all the time.

tuxbox wrote:If you asking if I think prostitution should be illegal because I think it is immoral, then the answer is no. However, I cannot ignore the negative side effects which many of them would still exists even if it were legal.

Because it's immoral, because you hate women (no, I don't think you do), because your dog said it would lead to the end of the World (again, I don't even know if you own a dog), but you got the jist of my pondering. I'm not asking you to ignore negative side effect of prostitution if it was legalized. I'm more into asking if the negative side effect are smaller when prostitution is legalized than when it's illegal and if the negative side effects of legal prostitution are so high that they are a good reason to limit freedom (of working in an industry you want to).
Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:36 am
EpiquinnUser avatarPosts: 93Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:Let's assume for a second that legalizing prostitution will actually cut down on human trafficking. There are still issues like STDs that would more than likely increase. Would it not??

No, they would not, they would more likely decrease. Even if you legalize prostitution, I don't see why the demand and use of prostitution services (which already are pretty high) would significantly rise. With legalization of prostitution more regulation and control tools become available, like mandatory STD checks on a regular basis. While prostitution is illegal, people still do it and it remains a completely unregulated black-market, with all the risks and dangers that can possibly occur.

It's almost the same thing with prostitution and pre-marital sex. If you teach kids abstinence-only, they're going to have sex in secret with little idea how to do it responsibly.
Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 am
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:Let's assume for a second that legalizing prostitution will actually cut down on human trafficking. There are still issues like STDs that would more than likely increase. Would it not??

Image
Image

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:56 am
WWW
ClockworkFoxPosts: 5Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:52 am

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:Let's assume for a second that legalizing prostitution will actually cut down on human trafficking. There are still issues like STDs that would more than likely increase. Would it not??


Greetings,

With regards to Nevada's system at least, I am not aware of any particular problem with STDs. In addition to mandatory screening, condoms are required for all penetrative sex acts. Amusingly, this situation may have resulted in a higher risk of brothel prostitutes acquiring an STD through their 'off the clock' relations.

In addition, should a prostitute expose a client to HIV, the brothel owner can be held liable for damages. This at the very least appears to provide an incentive for brothels to maintain a low-risk environment.

I would argue that with proper oversight STD infection rates should not increase following a legalization of prostitution, and could potentially decrease. The previously mentioned pieces of Nevada's setup provide (in my opinion) good examples of things that can be done to further that goal, or at least decent starting places. Essentially, I am agreeing with Epiquinn in a rather roundabout manner.
Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

I have changed my position due to the arguments posted by Visaki, Gunboat Diplomat, Epiquinn, and ClockworkFox. That said, I am not too sure that STDs would decrease. Sure the high priced prostitutes would most certainly force their customers to wear protection, but I am not sure the street corner hookers who are addicted to crack, crank, and heroin would.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:18 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:
tuxbox wrote:Let's assume for a second that legalizing prostitution will actually cut down on human trafficking. There are still issues like STDs that would more than likely increase. Would it not??

Image


lmao
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:I have changed my position due to the arguments posted by Visaki, Gunboat Diplomat, Epiquinn, and ClockworkFox. That said, I am not too sure that STDs would decrease. Sure the high priced prostitutes would most certainly force their customers to wear protection, but I am not sure the street corner hookers who are addicted to crack, crank, and heroin would.


If it was legalized, I would go to a mid-priced whore-house where they would, and where I'm sure they get tested on a weekly basis.

In fact, I'd come at the beginning of the week after their testing schedule so I feel a wee bit better about the whole ordeal.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:19 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:
If it was legalized, I would go to a mid-priced whore-house where they would, and where I'm sure they get tested on a weekly basis.

In fact, I'd come at the beginning of the week after their testing schedule so I feel a wee bit better about the whole ordeal.


You have an above average IQ (or higher), so of course you are going to wear a Jimmy Hat and take extra precautions. That does not mean some dumbass who has drank himself silly and then decides he wants a BJ is going to do the same.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 pm
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:
)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:
If it was legalized, I would go to a mid-priced whore-house where they would, and where I'm sure they get tested on a weekly basis.

In fact, I'd come at the beginning of the week after their testing schedule so I feel a wee bit better about the whole ordeal.


You have an above average IQ (or higher), so of course you are going to wear a Jimmy Hat and take extra precautions. That does not mean some dumbass who has drank himself silly and then decides he wants a BJ is going to do the same.

Pretty much any whore house is going to require protection. The biggest risk here is that a condom can break.
Image

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:48 pm
WWW
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 3190Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

Greetings,

One of the issues regarding STDs and whether or not to use protection would be solved by an easy way to test for STDs.

Note this BBC report.

Note the ability to detect very low levels of HIV infection.

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:05 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:Pretty much any whore house is going to require protection. The biggest risk here is that a condom can break.


True, but not all prostitutes will be located in brothels. The independent hookers addicted to drugs will be the health threat along with the idiots who hire them.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:07 pm
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:
Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:Pretty much any whore house is going to require protection. The biggest risk here is that a condom can break.


True, but not all prostitutes will be located in brothels. The independent hookers addicted to drugs will be the health threat along with the idiots who hire them.

This is where licensing will be golden.

"You meet rigorous state certifications? No?
Oh."

If you go to an unlicensed person, you should always do it knowing that the quality may be let and the health may be a gamble.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:21 pm
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:
Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:Pretty much any whore house is going to require protection. The biggest risk here is that a condom can break.


True, but not all prostitutes will be located in brothels. The independent hookers addicted to drugs will be the health threat along with the idiots who hire them.

Part of the risk. If the prostitute does not want to use protection, then its your fault if you get sick.
Image

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm
WWW
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:This is where licensing will be golden.

"You meet rigorous state certifications? No?
Oh."

If you go to an unlicensed person, you should always do it knowing that the quality may be let and the health may be a gamble.


Good point.

Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:
Part of the risk. If the prostitute does not want to use protection, then its your fault if you get sick.


That was kind of my point. Not everyone uses their brain, which increases the risk of STDs spreading to innocent people.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 812Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Legalize Prostitution

tuxbox wrote:That was kind of my point. Not everyone uses their brain, which increases the risk of STDs spreading to innocent people.

That is the case in just about every activity known to man. If you are stupid you can get hurt.
Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:57 pm
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 45 posts ] 
Return to Politics & Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron