Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot
Author Message
WhisperelmwoodUser avatarPosts: 127Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:38 amLocation: Chippenham, UK Gender: Female

Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot

Yeah, so I hang out on SodaHead from time to time (I tend to stick around for a couple weeks, arguing with the stoopids, until I get completely disheartened by them and begin to fear that the human race is made up of nothing but stoopids, so I leave for a month or so, before getting pulled back in again when I get an email update on the latest questions and one catches my interest... it's a vicious cycle...) and I spend the time I'm there either telling people who asked stoopid Twilight questions that I couldn't care less, or arguing with stoopids.

(Before you ask, I'm Baggins )

This is one of my latest 'discussions' with a stoopid. The Original Post was a rant about homophobe's, but the person I ended up 'discussing' with is this guy: Patrioteer

Anyway, onward:

Patrioteer wrote:Your logic about whether or not gays "choose" their sexual orientation is faulty. it IS natural for a boy to be attracted to a girl, and very unnatural for him to be attracted to another boy. You saying differently doesn't make it so.

You also seem to think that if someone disapproves or disagrees with the gay lifestyle that they automatically hate them. That isn't true in all cases. Some people will hate no matter what. I personally think that homosexuality is unnatural and pretty disgusting, but I don't hate gays. I can get pretty excited thinking about putting my tongue in my wife's mouth (and elsewhere), but it would sicken me to think about doing the same with another man. IT JUST ISN'T NATURAL!

The other parts of your rant are just silly and based on immature thinking.


Something that occurs in nature is natural. Therefore, homosexuality is natural. (That was really my only quibble - he's allowed to be disgusted if he wants.)


Patrioteer wrote:Do you people actually listen to what your saying? Something else that occurs in nature, for ONE example, is that male wolves will kill aggressive male pups to prevent problems when they become adults. So following your logic we should kill aggressive children to keep them from becoming violent adults! Please try to think once in awhile!


Nope, difference between wolves and people?? This is a really obvious one, I do hope you get it! People can think up ways to treat aggressive children to prevent the aggressiveness!

Anyway, killing children would still be natural, because it happens in nature (various species of animals kill pups, people kill children). That's not to say it is nice or accepted or good for the community as a whole, just that it's natural. Try looking up what words mean before you start utilizing them for arguments.


Patrioteer wrote:Please don't act like you are so superior. You can't believe how silly it makes you look. That is a sad way to try and shift attention from an issue to attempting to belittle someone. I understand words perfectly! Why is it Liberals can't carry on a conversation without acting like an ass? I just came to this site, but it happens all over the internet!!!


(I freely admit that by this point I was simply playing with him)

And now you are moving away from the issue itself. Homosexuality - according to you - is 'unnatural'. I contest that fact by pointing out that not only is is found in nature, so it is actually natural, it is also found in other non-human animals, so again, it is natural.

Ever so sorry if I hurt your sensibilities by pointing out that it's a good idea to understand the definition of a word before using it in an argument. (Also, I'm English, living in England, so I'm not sure the term 'Liberal' as the American's use it applies to me...)

So, now knowing that homosexuality is indeed natural, what other argument can you come up with?


Patrioteer wrote:That's your OPINION!!! Only an opinion, nothing more. I'm done talking to you. BYE!!!


Uh, not actually an opinion, it's fact. Homosexuality is found in nature, therefore it is natural. If you have an objection to it's existence, you need to find some other justification.


Patrioteer wrote:I don't need to do anything! I don't need your permission to find it disgusting and unnatural. All of your lame reasoning is meaningless. A two-year-old has more sense than you do, using a lame argument to excuse disgusting behavior. I have no problem with you wanting to be a homosexual. you have a right to live whatever lifestyle you want. But you can in no way force me to accept it! Quit wasting your breath!


Firstly, I'm not a homosexual :)
Secondly, I'm ever so sorry if my pointing out reality to you has hurt your sensibilities quite so much. My arguments are not 'lame' they are correct. You are wrong in your assumption that homosexuality is 'unnatural' therefore you need to find another justification for you rampant homophobia.
Thirdly, I'm typing, therefore, not 'wasting my breath' as my breath is not involved.

(Again, I admit I was sort of being maybe, perhaps, a little, childish? XD But on that website, you need a little childishness now and then, srsly)


Patrioteer wrote: {Patrioteer resorted to childish images, so I left it there}



The above 'discussion' was primarily about my taking umbrage at his choice of words. He is free to feel disgusted by homosexuality, of course, but declaring it to be 'unnatural' will always result in my disagreeing and arguing.

----

This next 'discussion' is on an entirely different note. It is with a highly credulous woman who believes not only in psychic phenomena, but also that she has prophetic dreams. I decided to call her on it, and the resultant discussion follows.

The Original Post was a simple poll asking if you believe in psychic radings [sic] and astrology. The woman I am 'discussing' with is Huki68.


huki68 wrote:Yes, yet the ones on TV and by phones they just want your money, God has provided us with people that have special powers, yet it doesn't work when is utilized in the wrong way, we have those in our government forces to help on crimes... I do believe it if is done the right way.


Evidence please? Every single psychic that has ever been tested has been shown to be NOT psychic.


huki68 wrote:Whatever you called, I personally do believe that many people has special powers like cure, find... I do believe it, becuase it happened to me


Anecdotal evidence means nothing. There are hundreds of things that could explain what you experienced. Hence scientific testing and studies. All of which have shown psychics, healing etc to be false.


huki68 wrote:Well baggings I will not be here to discusse something that I do believe and the other don't because we will be here all day, everyday getting nowhere. ty for you for your input


I have almost no idea what you just wrote. I'll take a guess and respond with: 'This is a discussion forum - if you don't want to have discussions... why post here?'


huki68 wrote:Well I do understand your point, many those people help on crimes, people that was kidnap.
I know if you have that special talent I called 6 sense if you utilized well it will work, do you believe in dreams, I do I have dreamed that I will have a car accident the next day, I have 3 accidents not my fault, one day I told my friend when I dreamed of my 4th accident, I told her, You know, damn this is weird, I always have this dreams about accidents and always come true, after that I never had another car accident or whatever accident. It sounds crazy yet it is the truth. I don't have powers, yet can you explain that too me? It will be nice if someone knows more than me and tell me. If you ahev the answer please do


Re the dream>accident - there are over 6billion people on this planet, the law of probability states that x number of them will have a dream of an accident and the next day have an accident. That's not psychic, that's math.

Were your 'dreams' EXACTLY the same as the accident? Or are you confirmation biased and just deciding that because you had an accident, it MUST be the accident in your dream? How many times have you dreamed of accidents and not had one? How many times have you not dreamed of accidents and had one? How many times have you dreamed of receiving a gift and then not received one? etc

There has been no evidence, to date, EVER, of psychics who profess to have helped the Police ACTUALLY proving useful. None. (Except in anecdotes provided by the psychics and as we know, anecdotes do not equal evidence.)


huki68 wrote:Everytime I have a dream that I would have an accident only happened when I didn't tell anyone., since I tell I never have any. That is my conclusion about that


That is called 'confirmation bias' - you are looking for reasons, therefore you find reasons that suit you. The real reason you have no accidents after some of your dreams is down to pure chance. It is statistics and mathematics that answers this, not 'psychic abilities'.


huki68 wrote:Don't know, I am not a Psychic, yet I really don't know why... Chances? I am glad that is over



----


If none of you have played on SodaHead before, this should give you an idea of the kind of stoopid you can find on it. It's fun, for a while. There are some very good skeptics and atheists there though, and we all do our best, but we're being thoroughly overrun.
Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 pm
WWW
lwatson74User avatarPosts: 5Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 pm Gender: Female

Post Re: Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot

I found it pretty hilarious when he started resorting to "I'M NOT LISTENING, *covers ears*" na nana..." instead of actually trying to refute your logic, or come up with another point. There's plenty of creatures that participate in homosexual behavior in nature, he's just not willing to accept the truth: that humans are animals, too. :roll:
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." ~Andre Gide
Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:37 pm
WhisperelmwoodUser avatarPosts: 127Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:38 amLocation: Chippenham, UK Gender: Female

Post Re: Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot

lwatson74 wrote:I found it pretty hilarious when he started resorting to "I'M NOT LISTENING, *covers ears*" na nana..." instead of actually trying to refute your logic, or come up with another point. There's plenty of creatures that participate in homosexual behavior in nature, he's just not willing to accept the truth: that humans are animals, too. :roll:


That's pretty much the level of argument on that website - I've had many, many, discussions that end up in the other person resorting to foul language, 'nanananana' and/or simply telling me they will no longer participate in the discussion. Sometime's I just have to laugh - but sometime's it makes me weep for humanity. Ah well!
Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:44 pm
WWW
lwatson74User avatarPosts: 5Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 pm Gender: Female

Post Re: Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot

I find that sometimes, people's beliefs are oftentimes not rooted in rationality, so many people don't need you to tell them that it is just that: irrational. They're more aware of it when they begin arguing, of course. I do wonder what type of justification they're trying to conjure up in their minds, though.

I guess--to him--the disgusting nature, or rather, what he considers disgusting, is enough to continue believing that a homosexual lifestyle is wrong, rather than considering it objectively. Not unlike many Christian fundamentalists out there.
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." ~Andre Gide
Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot

I like the whole attacking you for being "liberal" bit. As though being liberal is a bad thing?

But that's sort of the overall mindset, isn't it... that guy has been convinced that everyone who is different from him is wrong and probably evil. Not for any reasons, mind you. Just because they are different. All the excuses are just post-hoc rationalizations. People like that start with the hate, and then twist reality to justify it.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:54 pm
WhisperelmwoodUser avatarPosts: 127Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:38 amLocation: Chippenham, UK Gender: Female

Post Re: Sodahead - breeding ground of stoopid - Homophobic idiot

lwatson74 wrote:I find that sometimes, people's beliefs are oftentimes not rooted in rationality, so many people don't need you to tell them that it is just that: irrational. They're more aware of it when they begin arguing, of course. I do wonder what type of justification they're trying to conjure up in their minds, though.

I guess--to him--the disgusting nature, or rather, what he considers disgusting, is enough to continue believing that a homosexual lifestyle is wrong, rather than considering it objectively. Not unlike many Christian fundamentalists out there.


As far as I can tell, in these sorts of instances at least, the whole belief is rooted in irrational fears or hatred, with absolutely no logic to them whatsoever. And you're right, they absolutely abhor having that pointed out to them.


ImprobableJoe wrote:I like the whole attacking you for being "liberal" bit. As though being liberal is a bad thing?

But that's sort of the overall mindset, isn't it... that guy has been convinced that everyone who is different from him is wrong and probably evil. Not for any reasons, mind you. Just because they are different. All the excuses are just post-hoc rationalizations. People like that start with the hate, and then twist reality to justify it.


I'm guessing from his 'liberal' attack that he's a conservative himself. And I agree, it reads to me that he is just scared of 'different' and the fear leads to hatred, and as I said above, there's no logic to it, so having logic presented to him makes him react in an aggressive manner. Ah well.
Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:23 pm
WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
Return to Debates Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest