Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

John Cleese makes a perceptive comment on religion

[ 2 posts ] 
John Cleese makes a perceptive comment on religion
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Post John Cleese makes a perceptive comment on religion

About 0:52, responding to a comment about the stoning scene from "The Life of Brian" from a clergyman. Nothing too profound or provocative, but it is the clearest explanation of how I view the matter that I've ever come across.
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2689Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: John Cleese makes a perceptive comment on religion

Lallapalalable wrote:

About 0:52, responding to a comment about the stoning scene from "The Life of Brian" from a clergyman. Nothing too profound or provocative, but it is the clearest explanation of how I view the matter that I've ever come across.

I think I'd agree with him.

However, I'd specify that quite a few founders of religion are very likely mentally unhinged to some degree, and others are frauds, but they're all bound to be fairly intelligent and have a fair amount of people skills.

Beyond that, it's awesome that he knows David Dunning, and he explained the Dunning-Kruger effect very well.

"The skills you need to be good at something are exactly the skills you need to be able to tell if you're good at that something."

(Paraphrase.)
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:16 am
 [ 2 posts ] 
Return to Online Video