Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Quantum Consciousness

[ 12 posts ] 
Quantum Consciousness
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Quantum Consciousness

The play list can be found here continuing with 2 of 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZJ8TOK ... plpp_video

I dig watching these types of discussions.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:34 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Quantum Consciousness

I find these sorts of discussions less than useless, personally. Throwing in "quantum" nonsense doesn't get us any closer to understanding consciousness.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:46 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

ImprobableJoe wrote:I find these sorts of discussions less than useless, personally. Throwing in "quantum" nonsense doesn't get us any closer to understanding consciousness.

Millions of Americans watch American Idol and other TV shows that I find useless. I prefer watching shows on science.
Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 pm

tuxbox wrote:
Millions of Americans watch American Idol and other TV shows that I find useless. I prefer watching shows on science.

Really? Maybe you'll want to post a link to one of THOSE shows, instead of the anti-science nonsense that Hameroff is selling.
Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:24 pm

ImprobableJoe wrote:Really? Maybe you'll want to post a link to one of THOSE shows, instead of the anti-science nonsense that Hameroff is selling.

How is it "anti-science?

Would you consider the search of Dark Energy anti-science?

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:20 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1224Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

For once, dark matter and dark energy are our attempts at explaining observation.

The whole quantum subconsciousness seems like a desperate try at keeping souls.

This may be interesting, I haven't watched it yet

Stuart Hameroff, V.S. Ramachandran

edit: subconsciousnesses - spelling this grabbed my whole attention :)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:21 pm
Nom_de_PlumeUser avatarPosts: 247Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:36 pmLocation: Western Canada Gender: Female

Ok not a scientist but I've always viewed that whole "dark energy" as a place holder for when we figure it out.... we know it's something but.
It kinda reminds me of this
The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive.
~Robert A Heinlein
Last edited by Nom_de_Plume on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2750Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

tuxbox wrote:

The play list can be found here continuing with 2 of 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZJ8TOK ... plpp_video

I dig watching these types of discussions.

personally find it quite painful, you just come out more stupid in the end of that. Maybe it doesn't look like that to you because you don't understand what he is saying and that is the trick of his trade (the core of his deception), it is a fallacy of using scientific sounding jargon to convince an uneducated audience that he might be saying something valuable. For someone who actually understands the science and the terminology, he is just wrong and it is clear that he doesn't know more about quantum physics than a 5th grader. Just to put it into respective, it is the equivalent of trying to convince people that the world is flat because taking a bath in lava is good for turtle hickups (it is that nonsensical).
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:46 pm

WarK wrote:For once, dark matter and dark energy are our attempts at explaining observation.

The whole quantum subconsciousness seems like a desperate try at keeping souls.

This may be interesting, I haven't watched it yet

Stuart Hameroff, V.S. Ramachandran

edit: subconsciousnesses - spelling this grabbed my whole attention :)

Thank you WarK,

That video was great and I now know why ImJoe said the vid I posted was anti-science.
Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:51 pm

A couple of quick notes on how to make quick judgments on the likely quality of something like the OP's video:

-Avoid people who use "quantum" who aren't physicists or mathematicians: Hameroff is neither a physicist nor a mathematician.

-Doubly avoid people who use "quantum" to describe macro-level events: Hameroff's website includes phrases like "the implications for social science of thinking about human beings and society as quantum mechanical phenomena."

-Check qualifications in general: Hameroff is an anesthesiologist, and I'm sure he's pretty good at it, but that doesn't give him special insight into quantum mechanics.

-Check associations: Hameroff and Deepak Chopra are associates. 'Nuff said.

This guy's operation is a circle-jerk of fruitcakes.
Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:09 pm
Nom_de_PlumeUser avatarPosts: 247Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:36 pmLocation: Western Canada Gender: Female

ImprobableJoe wrote:

Oooh I love this!!! may I steal this quote please? I have the perfect place to use it on another forum
The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive.
~Robert A Heinlein
Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Nom_de_Plume wrote:
ImprobableJoe wrote:

Oooh I love this!!! may I steal this quote please? I have the perfect place to use it on another forum

Knock yourself out! :lol:
Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 pm
 [ 12 posts ] 
Return to Online Video