Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Gay marriage in minesota

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 14
 [ 277 posts ] 
Gay marriage in minesota
Author Message
NemesiahPosts: 429Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 8:00 amLocation: Mexico Gender: Male

Post Gay marriage in minesota



Question:

Is anybody here that while being atheist / agnostic oposes gay marriage / adoption?

Why?

If you are religious please state so and mention weather you are for or against these and why.

Best regards.

Ed.

For the reccord I fully support both gay mariage and adoption. The reason being that I do not see how one's sexual orientation should change his/hers rights.
Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 am
MetalgodBannedUser avatarPosts: 196Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

I'm against any attempt to normalize homosexuality. It's just something to distract us from reality. Its not like any mother or father ever holds their newborn son and thinks "Oh I hope one day he grows up and marries another man.."
So, why pretend?

Also, it seems to me that homosexual men tend to die young from horrible diseases. My buddy Wayne just fucking died. He was only 38 years old. I was just talking to someone in the States 2 days ago who was at his funeral last week. Before he died he was in some fucked up hospitel for about year because his whole body was swollen up.
Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:04 am
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:I'm against any attempt to normalize homosexuality.

What does that mean?

Homosexuality is a natural occurence in all species by such&such percentages ... it is normal as it is.
(sorry I have neither numbers nor references - but assume they can be found )

My cousin died at the age of 17 while practicing sports that evoked the deadly incident - I never liked sports much 'cos it's all so true "Sport kills"
Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:14 am
WWW
MetalgodBannedUser avatarPosts: 196Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Vivre wrote:
Metalgod wrote:I'm against any attempt to normalize homosexuality.


What does that mean?



It means Im against any attempt to make homosexual behavior seem normal or ok.

Vivre wrote:Homosexuality is a natural occurence in all species by such&such percentages ... it is normal as it is.
(sorry I have neither numbers nor references - but assume they can be found )


I see no reason here to consider the behavior of animals.
Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:43 am
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:It means I'm against any attempt to make homosexual behavior seem normal or ok.

Thx - I wasn't sure if I might've missunderstood.

So you tell me there would be an attempt in this world that tries to make a behaviour which is normal, look like as if it would be normal?

Seems an idiotic waste of investigation to me.
I assume it's used as humiliation with the aim of exclusive exclusion ... . or does the case lie slightly different :?


I see no reason here to consider the behavior of animals.

Considering humans can do the job all fine, thus it doesn't seem to be evident enough for you. So it's always worth to not be restricted in one's thinking.
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:15 am
WWW
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 3193Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Greetings,

Vivre, by "normalize" MetalGod means to make it (socially) acceptable ("normative").

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:20 am
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Dragan Glas wrote:Vivre, by "normalize" MetalGod means to make it (socially) acceptable ("normative").

Thanks - I'm not unaware of that, but I doubt that MetalGod realizes that the verbal aim 'to make something normal' already includes a further humiliation, which he falls for.
He could take a step back and see that it's all about artificial ideology and has nothing to do with what's given by nature.

greets ~ V
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:46 am
WWW
NemesiahPosts: 429Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 8:00 amLocation: Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:I'm against any attempt to normalize homosexuality. It's just something to distract us from reality. Its not like any mother or father ever holds their newborn son and thinks "Oh I hope one day he grows up and marries another man.."
So, why pretend?

Also, it seems to me that homosexual men tend to die young from horrible diseases. My buddy Wayne just fucking died. He was only 38 years old. I was just talking to someone in the States 2 days ago who was at his funeral last week. Before he died he was in some fucked up hospitel for about year because his whole body was swollen up.


Ok, but are you an atheist? if not, which religion do you follow?

Thanks!
Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 am
FrengerBloggerUser avatarPosts: 831Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:I'm against any attempt to normalize homosexuality. It's just something to distract us from reality.


This, if it made sense, would likely be an incredibly ludicrous statement. In what way does someone's sexual orientation distract you from reality? If a man prefers older woman, does that put you off? If a woman only prefers men of a certain height, is that distracting to you? Or is it only when they find people of their own sex attractive that your mind begins to wanders from this mortal plain?

Its not like any mother or father ever holds their newborn son and thinks "Oh I hope one day he grows up and marries another man.."
So, why pretend?


No, but there are a couple of reasons for this;

One, surely the only important thing you wish for your offspring, is for them to be happy, regardless of the details.

Two, sexual orientation is so boring, so trivial, such a tedious part of someone's existence, that the question wouldn't even come up.

Someone's sexual leaning is literally the last thing I care about when I meet that person. It's as useless a piece of information as asking them what toothpaste they prefer. In other words, it makes no difference to anything, at all.

Also, it seems to me that homosexual men tend to die young from horrible diseases.


What "seems to you" is neither here nor there. Provide evidence, or have your stupid statement dismissed as quickly as you vomited it up.

My buddy Wayne just fucking died. He was only 38 years old


I'm sorry to hear that.

I was just talking to someone in the States 2 days ago who was at his funeral last week. Before he died he was in some fucked up hospitel for about year because his whole body was swollen up.


As sad as that is, I can name many people I have known who have died at an early age, so, what's your point?
Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:45 am
WWW
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod, you're putting personal anecdote over the reality.
As I've pointed out in a different thread, there was actually a study done on children of same-sex couples and the results clearly contradict any and every statement ever made by opponents of same-sex marriage/partnership.

There's a news-story here and the preliminary results of the study here.

Two results to point out: Out of the 315 people asked, 93% were in a relationship.
"On measures of general health and family cohesion children aged 5 to 17 years with same-sex attracted parents showed a significantly better score when compared to Australian children from all backgrounds and family contexts. For all other health measures there were no statistically significant differences."

So that's strange, people were actually healthier, contrary to what you claim. Care to revise your statement?
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:12 am
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

I'm against any attempt to normalize dodgeball. It's just something to distract us from reality. Its not like any mother or father ever holds their newborn son and thinks "Oh I hope one day he grows up and plays dodgeball..."
So, why pretend?

Also, it seems to me that dodgeball players tend to die young from horrible injuries. My buddy Barry just fucking died. He was only 38 years old. I was just talking to someone in the States 2 days ago who was at his funeral last week. Before he died he was in some fucked up hospital for about year because his whole body was swollen up.
Image
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am
MetalgodBannedUser avatarPosts: 196Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Nemesiah wrote:
Metalgod wrote:I'm against any attempt to normalize homosexuality. It's just something to distract us from reality. Its not like any mother or father ever holds their newborn son and thinks "Oh I hope one day he grows up and marries another man.."
So, why pretend?

Also, it seems to me that homosexual men tend to die young from horrible diseases. My buddy Wayne just fucking died. He was only 38 years old. I was just talking to someone in the States 2 days ago who was at his funeral last week. Before he died he was in some fucked up hospitel for about year because his whole body was swollen up.


Ok, but are you an atheist? if not, which religion do you follow?

Thanks!


Sorry. No Im not an atheist. I guess you could call me a non-practicing christian.
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:26 am
FrengerBloggerUser avatarPosts: 831Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

So you're ignoring Inferno then, Metalgod?
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 am
WWW
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:Sorry. No Im not an atheist. I guess you could call me a non-practicing christian.


The homophobia would indicate you're an actively practicing Christian.
Image
Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:14 pm
MetalgodBannedUser avatarPosts: 196Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Inferno wrote:Metalgod, you're putting personal anecdote over the reality.
As I've pointed out in a different thread, there was actually a study done on children of same-sex couples and the results clearly contradict any and every statement ever made by opponents of same-sex marriage/partnership.

There's a news-story here and the preliminary results of the study here.

Two results to point out: Out of the 315 people asked, 93% were in a relationship.
"On measures of general health and family cohesion children aged 5 to 17 years with same-sex attracted parents showed a significantly better score when compared to Australian children from all backgrounds and family contexts. For all other health measures there were no statistically significant differences."

So that's strange, people were actually healthier, contrary to what you claim. Care to revise your statement?


Thank you for the links. Here are some of my thoughts on this:

80% of the parents who completed the survey were lesbian women. I am already aware that lesbians tend not to come down with the health problems that gay men get.

Also

Since same-sex couples are not capable of producing children, couldnt a study on the health of children with same-sex parents be easily swayed to show conflicting results, had the same-sex couples adopted less healthier children?
Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:80% of the parents who completed the survey were lesbian women. I am already aware that lesbians tend not to come down with the health problems that gay men get.


Evidence?

Since same-sex couples are not capable of producing children, couldnt a study on the health of children with same-sex parents be easily swayed to show conflicting results, had the same-sex couples adopted less healthier children?


Couldn't a study on the health of children with same-sex parents be easily swayed to show conflicting results, had the same-sex couples adopted children who had been impregnated by the xenomorph 'face hugger'?
Image
Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm
MetalgodBannedUser avatarPosts: 196Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Also Inferno,

Do you think that, Universities across the world for last 25 years have shown a bias toward promoting homosexual behavior?
Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:32 pm
MetalgodBannedUser avatarPosts: 196Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

australopithecus wrote:I'm against any attempt to normalize dodgeball. It's just something to distract us from reality. Its not like any mother or father ever holds their newborn son and thinks "Oh I hope one day he grows up and plays dodgeball..."
So, why pretend?



I think that many fathers do dream of having a son that grows up to a star quarterback or a profesional baseball player ect.
Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:36 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:I think that many fathers do dream of having a son that grows up to a star quarterback or a profesional baseball player ect.


I think many fathers are idiots. If your primary concern upon becoming a parent is the sexuality of your child, then you have failed as a parent, and as a human being. When I have children their sexuality will be as important to me as the colour of their eyes. That is to say, utterly irrelevant.
Image
Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:40 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Gay marriage in minesota

Metalgod wrote:80% of the parents who completed the survey were lesbian women. I am already aware that lesbians tend not to come down with the health problems that gay men get.


That's true, but as far as I know there were no significant differences between gay and lesbian couples.

Metalgod wrote:Since same-sex couples are not capable of producing children, couldnt a study on the health of children with same-sex parents be easily swayed to show conflicting results, had the same-sex couples adopted less healthier children?


I'll re-post what I posted above:
"On measures of general health and family cohesion children aged 5 to 17 years with same-sex attracted parents showed a significantly better score when compared to Australian children from all backgrounds and family contexts. For all other health measures there were no statistically significant differences."

Have I highlighted it well enough?

Metalgod wrote:Do you think that, Universities across the world for last 25 years have shown a bias toward promoting homosexual behavior?


Do I understand your question correctly? Universities are pro-homosexual behaviour, is that it?
If so, no. They've certainly become more acceptant of it, but I've not heard of any University actively promoting homosexuality.

Why do you ask?
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 14
 [ 277 posts ] 
Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests
cron