Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

For the ones loving LoR

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
For the ones loving LoR
Author Message
KnowThyselfNew MemberPosts: 1Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 am Gender: Other

Post For the ones loving LoR

If you people wish for League of Reason to stay alive, then you should have to take pride in having a community.
'Some' of you may want to change your attitude, and not act like an absolute retard, in order to retain this community.
Else, people will be leaving.
Some have already left, and many more will continue to leave if this goes on.
Is that what you want?

After my debating experience this night, i seriously consider to do leave.
There was no way to reason. there was no way to connect.
There was nothing but the feeling of being surrounded by absolute goons
with which i did not want to argue with.
Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

And who are you?
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Tue May 28, 2013 8:20 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

The League of Reason is not a think-tank, advocacy group or corporation. What is consensus among its members is always subject to change, and there is no established policy. The only collective belief of its team is that if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

We do not represent each other or any kind of organisation. We just happen to come to the same place, where we represent ourselves, and if we disagree with each other we’re not afraid to say so.

Sauce
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue May 28, 2013 9:02 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

KnowThyself wrote:If you people wish for League of Reason to stay alive, then you should have to take pride in having a community.
'Some' of you may want to change your attitude, and not act like an absolute retard, in order to retain this community.
Else, people will be leaving.
Some have already left, and many more will continue to leave if this goes on.
Is that what you want?

After my debating experience this night, i seriously consider to do leave.
There was no way to reason. there was no way to connect.
There was nothing but the feeling of being surrounded by absolute goons
with which i did not want to argue with.
Presumably this experience happened in the chat? I haven't been there much lately but it never seemed like there were that many people on. Which is a bit of an issue since it means a chat moderator will not always be active to see the problem as it unfolds. I would suggest trying a forum post with the topic you want to debate, that way if there is an issue with the way people respond to you the moderators have time to see it and to respond. Thanks for the feedback.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Tue May 28, 2013 9:23 am
WWW
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

Hello Thyself,

If you had a frustrating experience with a certain amount of unreasonable people who represent LoR, (according to you or to them claiming so ?), wouldn't it be more advisable to address to the board holders in private to inform them about this seemingly very important issue?

Do you seriously regard an anonymous threat of leaving this community and predicting its death a basis for a constructive concideration?

Are you sure you are supporting LoR ... and where is that pride of yours, if it is your primary required motivation to preserve what you love?

greets

edit: try to get an opaque expression right
Last edited by Vivre on Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tue May 28, 2013 9:28 am
WWW
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

Aught3 wrote:Presumably this experience happened in the chat?

Rather not. I had been in there long time last night and there was no debate, but an unusual happy chatting between half of those present.
Of course I wasn't there during US daytime - but I think it's even more quiet then.
Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 am
WWW
forgotten observerUser avatarPosts: 99Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 am

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

Vivre wrote:
Aught3 wrote:Presumably this experience happened in the chat?

Rather not. I had been in there long time last night and there was no debate, but an unusual happy chatting between half of those present.
Of course I wasn't there during US daytime - but I think it's even more quiet then.


I'm not saying you're lying but it's impossible that a member with 1 post, had a debate in the forums. Unless he had an alternate account. Which would be stupid.
"Nobody is ever born into this world as a soldier. "
—Rau Le Creuset, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

forgotten observer wrote:I'm not saying you're lying but it's impossible that a member with 1 post, had a debate in the forums. Unless he had an alternate account. Which would be stupid.

Sorry , I don't get you.
What has the chat to do with the fourm?
Why don't you confirm how it was on the chat?
Why do you invoke 'lie' - assuming I did whatever deliberately - instead of choosing a 'wrong' first?

Besides KnowThyself says "i seriously consider to do leave" which implies (at least to me) that he/she is already a member on board but doesn't want to reveal it.
And besides that - why shouldn't he/she have a debate somewhere in this world other than the LoR chat or forum. E.g. a skype-meeting.
Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 pm
WWW
forgotten observerUser avatarPosts: 99Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 am

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

Vivre wrote:
forgotten observer wrote:I'm not saying you're lying but it's impossible that a member with 1 post, had a debate in the forums. Unless he had an alternate account. Which would be stupid.

Sorry , I don't get you.
What has the chat to do with the fourm?
Why don't you confirm how it was on the chat?
Why do you invoke 'lie' - assuming I did whatever deliberately - instead of choosing a 'wrong' first?

Besides KnowThyself says "i seriously consider to do leave" which implies (at least to me) that he/she is already a member on board but doesn't want to reveal it.
And besides that - why shouldn't he/she have a debate somewhere in this world other than the LoR chat or forum. E.g. a skype-meeting.


The chat is associated with the forum members.
I don't know how to confirm it was on the chat.
I invoke lie, I case you were to. It was preemptive.
If they had an account for any decent length, It would obvious to them why what They're posting is nonsense.
It's probably just a jason burns fan, Anyway, The ip can be tracked if it was another member incognito.
"Nobody is ever born into this world as a soldier. "
—Rau Le Creuset, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

The user details and grammar idiosyncrasies don't indicate a current user to me. Include the misunderstanding of the nature of this website (whose primary impetus is having an open, expressive, preferably rational discussion board, not an atheist/anti-theist/atheist+/whatever backslap forum), and I'd say it's a hit and run. I'm quivering in anticipation at future updates to this thread.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

KnowThyself wrote:If you people wish for League of Reason to stay alive, then you should have to take pride in having a community.
'Some' of you may want to change your attitude, and not act like an absolute retard, in order to retain this community.
Else, people will be leaving.
Some have already left, and many more will continue to leave if this goes on.
Is that what you want?

After my debating experience this night, i seriously consider to do leave.
There was no way to reason. there was no way to connect.
There was nothing but the feeling of being surrounded by absolute goons
with which i did not want to argue with.


Wut?
Image
Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

forgotten observer wrote:The chat is associated with the forum members.
My answer to Aught3 was only addressed to his pointing at the chat - it had nothing to do with an alternative option that the forum could have been the place of debate.


forgotten observer wrote:I don't know how to confirm it was on the chat.
You could have confirmed my statement that it was unlikely on the chat because we both were there at the same time.


forgotten observer wrote:I invoke lie, I case you were to. It was preemptive.
Even if you've experienced similar as I on the chat you rather speed ahead calling me a liar to prevent me from starting to call you a liar. How ridiculous is that to assume I would do the like, just because you were going to say that you prefer to determine it had to have happened on the forum.

No need to intimidate people to secure your own opinion.


forgotten observer wrote:The ip can be tracked if it was another member incognito.
A conformity might occure if someone is dull enough not to care about this possible trace.


... and whatknots and maybees ~ we're mazed by a flash in the pan :roll:
Tue May 28, 2013 7:50 pm
WWW
forgotten observerUser avatarPosts: 99Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 am

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

Vivre wrote:
forgotten observer wrote:I invoke lie, I case you were to. It was preemptive.
Even if you've experienced similar as I on the chat you rather speed ahead calling me a liar to prevent me from starting to call you a liar. How ridiculous is that to assume I would do the like, just because you were going to say that you prefer to determine it had to have happened on the forum.

No need to intimidate people to secure your own opinion.


You misunderstand me, What I meant was. often in conversation when a person is accused of being mistaken, especially in matters of personal experience, they often retort with "Are you calling me a liar?!" I meant that I never intended that to say you were lying, and I meant to outset that originally before you had the possibility of misinterpreting me. However this seems to have backfired, forgive me.
"Nobody is ever born into this world as a soldier. "
—Rau Le Creuset, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Tue May 28, 2013 8:59 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

forgotten observer wrote:You misunderstand me,
Seems we could do with a linguistic to figure out the difference beween
'I'm not saying you are that, but I think ...' _or_ 'Don't call me that, because I think ...'.


What I meant was. often in conversation when a person is accused of being mistaken, especially in matters of personal experience, they often retort with "Are you calling me a liar?!"

A mistake is no lie.
Who dares to evaluate another persons personal experience? That's impossible to do, Same goes with the prove of ones unique experience to be true. You can only try to hunt down internal contradictions to uncover lies.
Still this tactic is used to undermine the opponent. Thus it is no excuse to fall for it because it happened to oneself.
If someone accuses your personal experience to be wrong, then move on / skip it / don't get mingled up / forget it / laugh about it ...

But apart from all that - you don't know me - so why not give me a chance to let you have your freedom of own experience ... or was your intention to disown mine ? ;-)


However this seems to have backfired, forgive me.
Yes Image no hard feelings.
Tue May 28, 2013 11:16 pm
WWW
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

Post Re: For the ones loving LoR

KnowThyself wrote:If you people wish for League of Reason to stay alive, then you should have to take pride in having a community.

I'll reserve pride for palpable things in real life. I'm here for my personal enjoyment and the occasional intellectual stimulus. It just so happens I tend to like the majority of the folks on this forum. Pride does not enter into it. A community does not even have to enter into it.

'Some' of you may want to change your attitude, and not act like an absolute retard, in order to retain this community.

If you have issues with individual members, either take it up with them - it's already been stated we are not one homogenous entity - or, if they give undue offense take it up with a moderator.

Else, people will be leaving.
Some have already left, and many more will continue to leave if this goes on.
Is that what you want?

Many people have left in the past. Many people have joined. This is the way with forums. It happens. I see no need to dramatise it in any way.

After my debating experience this night, i seriously consider to do leave.
There was no way to reason. there was no way to connect.
There was nothing but the feeling of being surrounded by absolute goons
with which i did not want to argue with.

If you had a "debating experience" you either had it in one of the forums, in which case you made a sock puppet account, or you "debated" people in the chat room. Did you save an excerpt of the perceived ass-hattery? If not, what on earth do we have to go on to make us sympathise other than the word of a one-post-hit-and-run forum member?

I'm fully expecting you to comment on all of these points with detail and understanding.
Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests