Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

It's the end of the world as we know it....

[ 11 posts ] 
It's the end of the world as we know it....
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post It's the end of the world as we know it....

Okay, so I wanted to start a nice light-hearted topic about the collapse of civilization.

I'd like to ask two questions:

1. What plausible events of sequence of events might bring about the collapse of civilization?

2. What would the world be like for survivors in the aftermath?

Of course we'll all be speculating, but it might be fun to discuss/debate different scenarios and how they might impact us.

Cheers

Laurens
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:52 pm
IBSpifyUser avatarPosts: 463Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 am Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: It's the end of the world as we know it....

1. Look at my signature.

2. Very very kinky.
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

IBSpify wrote:1. Look at my signature.

2. Very very kinky.

:lol:

Are you planning to write a novel about that scenario? I think it would be fantastic if you did!
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:27 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

1. Mind moves from matter to energy.

as for a light-hearted note ;)
Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm

I've been toying with the idea of writing a sci-fi book set in a world that is in the process of collapse...

I'd imagine the initial stages to involve things like the government announcing that 24 hour electricity was no long available, then the stock in supermarkets slowly dwindling along with mass hysteria and panic which would inevitably result in martial law of some kind.
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Laurens wrote:1. What plausible events of sequence of events might bring about the collapse of civilization?

Replacing cattle with soya :D

Civilisations rise and fall regularly (in historical terms), so it is dependent upon the type of collapse.

2. What would the world be like for survivors in the aftermath?

All seventeen of them will lament the complete lack of new episodes of Falling Skies, The Walking Dead, and Defiance.

In all seriousness, I don't believe many people would be able to cope with living outside the modern Western lifestyle. Would people know where to get flint, let alone bring themselves to eat a badger? Do many even know what saltpetre is? When the dogs are no longer being fed and the supernoodles are all gone...
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:04 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

How about
1) the poor finally rise up and actually crush the rich. Because the rich can afford protection a lot of the poor die, but 100% of the rich do. Because the poor are, generally and without judgement, less educated, they can't use any of our modern machinery, so society falls back a few centuries. Possibly to the renaissance, possibly to the dark ages.

2) Not all people with knowledge nor all intelligent people will have died, so society will focus around them. These people will be able to cope with being treated like Gods, but their children or grandchildren will not, thus falling into a state closely resembling the previous rich people. A few centuries hence, the poor will rise up again and the cycle repeats.

I am a pessimist, ain't I?
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:08 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

All this has happened before and it will happen again...

if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 pm
EngelbertPosts: 290Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am Gender: Male

ermmmm .... 1) zombies.
..... 2) attempting to avoid zombies. - also getting to run round the supermarket and take anything you want 'cos no-one cares anymore... providing you avoid any supermarket based zombies.

I think that the impact of zombies on the economy would be a negative one.
Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:47 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3480Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Laurens wrote:1. What plausible events of sequence of events might bring about the collapse of civilization?

Electoral magnetic pulse that knocks out electronics across the earth, which plunges humanity into a new dark age.

Laurens wrote:2. What would the world be like for survivors in the aftermath?

Theocracies take power and science will be abandoned for superstition once again. Mass book burnings will happen across the world. Billions will die from starvation and what were once easily preventable diseases.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 pm
YIM WWW
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Prolescum wrote:All this has happened before and it will happen again...

So say we all.
Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 pm
 [ 11 posts ] 
Return to General Discussion