Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Some questions for Atheists about OPEC

[ 16 posts ] 
Some questions for Atheists about OPEC
thenexttodiePosts: 754Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Some questions for Atheists about OPEC

OPEC has agreed to cut oil production, I guess with a sole exemption made for Iran. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-30/opec-agrees-to-cut-output-by-1-2-million-barrels-a-day

Is this something we should be happy about? Why or why not?

Is there a good reason for us to attempt to regulate the amount of oil each country is allowed or not allowed to produce?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1177Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Some questions for Atheists about OPEC

This has nothing to do with atheism.

I'm not happy about it because fuel prices will go up.

Oil output regulation seems to be just politics. When Americans want to put some pressure on Russians they call their best friends the Saudis and ask them to increase output and thus lower the prices so that Russia earns less from their oil output.

I can't wait for time when we're no longer dependent on fossil fuels.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:18 pm

WarK wrote:This has nothing to do with atheism.

Oil output regulation seems to be just politics. When Americans want to put some pressure on Russians they call their best friends the Saudis and ask them to increase output and thus lower the prices so that Russia earns less from their oil output.

I basically agree with this.

Though I believe that the idea that productivity, profits and prices should be regulated is generally supported by atheists. Is it not?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:27 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1177Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

thenexttodie wrote:
Though I believe that the idea that productivity, profits and prices should be regulated is generally supported by atheists. Is it not?

How so?
Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:34 pm

WarK wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:

How so?

In every way.
Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2544Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

thenexttodie wrote:
WarK wrote:This has nothing to do with atheism.

I basically agree with this.

You are generalizing heavily here.

I don't know of any connotation between the two. What connotation do you know of? Where are you getting this idea from?
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:24 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

He's attempting to equate atheists with suppression, little realising the irony. I suspect he'll make reference to Hitler before long.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:55 am

thenexttodie wrote:

thenexttodie wrote:
WarK wrote:
How so?

In every way.

Please explain.
Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:05 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3304Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:He's attempting to equate atheists with suppression, little realising the irony. I suspect he'll make reference to Hitler before long.

You are right about the former, wrong about the latter. He will reference Stalin and communism.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:25 pm
YIM WWW

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
Prolescum wrote:He's attempting to equate atheists with suppression, little realising the irony. I suspect he'll make reference to Hitler before long.

You are right about the former, wrong about the latter. He will reference Stalin and communism.

You both are wrong. He's just trolling.
Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:35 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3304Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

WarK wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:You are right about the former, wrong about the latter. He will reference Stalin and communism.

You both are wrong. He's just trolling.

I know the troll is trolling. That is just where the trolling was going to lead.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:35 pm
YIM WWW
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

I would like to see an end to our dependence on oil, but I can't imagine what we'd replace plastic with. Carbon nanotube or something, I suppose :)
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Gnug215 wrote:You are generalizing heavily here.

I don't know of any connotation between the two. What connotation do you know of? Where are you getting this idea from?

Well, from what little I know about Atheists, it seems to me they collectively support left wing or extreme left wing ideology. Perhaps I am wrong about this.
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:28 pm

Prolescum wrote:I would like to see an end to our dependence on oil, but I can't imagine what we'd replace plastic with. Carbon nanotube or something, I suppose :)

Just stopping use of carbon for energy production would be big. Then we could make plastic out of coal maybe or we could extract CO₂ from the atmosphere.

But it's hard to do anything about it when there's this huge disinformation campaign funded by fossil fuel industry.
Frightened by Donald Trump? You don’t know the half of it

thenexttodie wrote:

Well, from what little I know about Atheists, it seems to me they collectively support left wing or extreme left wing ideology. Perhaps I am wrong about this.

Yes, you really know very little. Not believing in one book of fiction or another doesn't make you a lefty. Where did you get this idea?
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Atheists are as homogeneous as humans at large, same as Christians and Muslims, Europeans and Chinese. Reality is, given the existence and nature of communities, "left wing". Burning fossil fuels makes our climate unstable and puts the future of our species in peril, ergo, we should be weaning ourselves off it, funding alternatives to sustain our now complex societies. How that's simply a "left wing" position and not a conservative one I have no idea.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2544Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

thenexttodie wrote:

Well, you're from the US, aren't you?
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:29 am
 [ 16 posts ] 
Return to General Discussion