Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Hip Hop, Mashups, and Progress - CopyRIGHT vs. CopyLEFT

[ 10 posts ] 
Hip Hop, Mashups, and Progress - CopyRIGHT vs. CopyLEFT
JustBusiness17User avatarPosts: 1484Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 amLocation: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe, Etc etc... Gender: Male

Post Hip Hop, Mashups, and Progress - CopyRIGHT vs. CopyLEFT

I thought I would share this with the community that sprung out of issues surrounding copyright law. Its a blog I wrote for TheYoungTurks.com. Enjoy!

---------

About a year ago I was lucky enough to see a screening of 'Rip! A Remix Manifesto'. The director was present and answered a flood of questions from the small audience. I can tell you personally that the people who came were more than impressed with this masterpiece that has been 6 years in the making. An evolutionary movie that pays homage to the subject it covers by constantly being tweaked and re-cut. Covering everything from the origins of Mickey Mouse to the development of a low cost AIDS vaccine* (*correction: medication) which was blocked from the market by patent laws -this movie will truly give you an all new perspective on life!

Rip! A Remix Manifesto
Full Movie
Trailer:

Yesterday, I was once again awestruck by yet another documentary covering many of the same issues -'Copyright Criminals'. Despite an overlapping theme, this movie is completely unique in its focus on the history, past to present, of hip hop. While much narrower in scope, hip hop's contribution to our modern culture of remixing has been pivotal, spawning several new genres and influencing artists throughout the music industry. 'Copyright Criminals' dissects the issue in detail and similar to 'Rip!' presenting point of views from both sides of the debate (although both lean heavily to the left). Captivating throughout with some amazing musical contrasting of this new music and its incredibly diverse array of sources.

Copyright Criminals
Full Movie
Trailer:

--------------

BONUS: The Amen Break (Mini-Doc)
ttyl
Last edited by JustBusiness17 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 am
JustBusiness17User avatarPosts: 1484Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 amLocation: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe, Etc etc... Gender: Male

Post Re: Hip Hop, Mashups, and Progress - CopyRIGHT vs. CopyLEFT

And since this is an intellectual type of crowd, here is Larry Lessig at TED. If you've never seen him speak before, it's really quite unique (See "Lessig Method")

ttyl
Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Jesus was epic.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 am

Aught3 wrote:Jesus was epic.

Great point... The gospels are a classic example of remixing

This is a fantastic documentary on the bible that I'm sure many of the members here are already familiar with. But skip to the 5:10 mark of this segment to see how even the bible is a "mashup" of previous works.
ttyl
Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:32 pm
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Wait - there's a Vaccine for AIDS being kept off the market?

>.>
That's bullshit - total bullshit.

Talk about Moral Reletivity.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 am

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:Wait - there's a Vaccine for AIDS being kept off the market?

>.>
That's bullshit - total bullshit.

Talk about Moral Reletivity.

Pardon me... I meant to say medication.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further to my original response: viewtopic.php?p=45471#p45471

Nice to meet you too Hytegia
ttyl
Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:04 am

Oh the irony... Copyright Criminals was taken down with a DMCA... Seems fair though since it was posted in its full original form.
ttyl
Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 am
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

RIP - is extremely awesome. Thanks for posting!

(commenting on the bible mashup) "This theory is called the documentary hypothesis" :lol:
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Case wrote:RIP - is extremely awesome. Thanks for posting!

(commenting on the bible mashup) "This theory is called the documentary hypothesis" :lol:

No problem... I was blown away myself. Its definitely an interesting debate because on the one hand, people should be compensated for their efforts. On the other hand, innovation should not be inhibited because one person (or corporation) wants to earn a residual income...
ttyl
Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 pm
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3527Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

JustBusiness17 wrote:Oh the irony... Copyright Criminals was taken down with a DMCA... Seems fair though since it was posted in its full original form.
As has RIP

Pardon this massive necro... Been meaning to watch RIP for a while, maybe someone who is new here will be glad to see this gem of a thread.
Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:35 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
Return to General Discussion