Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

[ 142 posts ] 
** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2994Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Good ammo for when someone brings up the whole Nazi/atheist argument:

"We were convinced that the people needs and requires this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out."

- Adolf Hitler
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 pm
theyounghistorian77ContributorUser avatarPosts: 726Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 amLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Male

"as we say in venice ... We are Venetian first, and Christian second. Art and trade before faith." - Count Francesco da Mosto.

at 0:51

I remember it coming from somewhere in his "Francesco's Venice". Here's the 1st in the series I'll come back to this later. : Edit. Fixed.

this website gives it as "Venetians first, then Christians" (veneziani, poi cristiani) was the saying.
"Politics is weird, and creepy, and now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality." - Shep Smith
Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 pm
ajhUser avatarPosts: 137Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:40 am

"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

"Call on God, but row away from the rocks."
-Hunter S. Thompson

"I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes."
-Hunter S. Thompson

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

"There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge..."
-Hunter S. Thompson

And last, but certainly not least:

"No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master."
-Hunter S. Thompson
"Between your faith,and my Glock 9MM,I take my Glock."
Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:12 pm
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Schopenhauer wrote:Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills

Heh, I was Hunter S. Thompson for Halloween.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:57 pm
BeautyintheuniversePosts: 5Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:10 amLocation: Burnley Gender: Male

Post Re: post any notable quotes you can find here.

JustBusiness17 wrote:Tell me I'm not the only one that finds the Amazing Atheist annoying as hell...

I'm really curious why the OP has created 2 threads just to quote that fool. Seems rather divisive :geek:

I imagine I'd last about 2 minutes with the man before I ended up beating him to death.

My favourite quote:

'God. The bastard'

Samuel Beckett.
Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 pm
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

"A Stroke?! The only stroke I've had is that of GENIUS!"
-Mr. Magorium (Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emprorium)
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

There is no Religion higher than the Truth.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Sun May 01, 2011 12:34 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4325Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

"If God did create all life I think it's more likely he just created a damp planet and it went mouldy" - Robin Ince.
Fri May 06, 2011 12:08 pm
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:There is no Religion higher than the Truth.

Who said this? I've heard it more as "There is no virtue higher than the Truth.", but I can't remember if I heard it somewhere or if I just made it up.
a·the·ism: The absence of belief in god(s)

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Fri May 06, 2011 4:25 pm
WelshidiotPosts: 569Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 pm

televator wrote:
)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:There is no Religion higher than the Truth.

Who said this? I've heard it more as "There is no virtue higher than the Truth.", but I can't remember if I heard it somewhere or if I just made it up.
I believe it is the motto of the Theosophical Society, and it may have been authored by Madame Blavatsky: http://davidpratt.info/hpb.htm
Fri May 06, 2011 4:41 pm

"In a severe blow to the credibility of evolutionary science, biologist Richard Dawkins admitted today that Darwin's theory of evolution could offer no rational explanation for the continued existence of creationists. The process of natural selection sees genes which provide an advantage in the battle for survival being preserved across generations, but scientists can find no useful purpose for the gene which leads people to believe that the earth was created in only six days about 10,000 years ago."

Summary:

"Evolution cannot explain idiots."
Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 pm
BrainBlowUser avatarPosts: 370Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pmLocation: Norway Gender: Male

The worst enemy of truth and freedom in our society is the compact majority.
-Henrik Ibsen

The world is my country, and to do good my religion.
-Thomas Paine

In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
-Dalai Lama

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
-Thomas Jefferson

The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed.
-Eminem/Marshall Bruce Mathers
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Tue May 10, 2011 12:48 pm
Your Funny UncleUser avatarPosts: 556Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 amLocation: UK Gender: Male

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell
“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.” - Isaac Asimov
Tue May 10, 2011 1:44 pm
BrainBlowUser avatarPosts: 370Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pmLocation: Norway Gender: Male

"We fought for King and country, not the fucking government!"
-Alf R. Bjercke - Norwegian war veteran
Tue May 10, 2011 6:21 pm
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

BrainBlow wrote:"We fought for King and country, not the fucking government!"

Is this more noteworthy in its context? What makes fighting for a king better than fighting for government?

Here's my submission (I don't know if it's been posted already, but it deserves repetition.):

The individual human mind. In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks turned to snakes or the parting of the waters. But, now, are we to forgo all this progress because Mr. Brady now frightens us with a fable?!

- Henry Drummond (Inherit the Wind)
a·the·ism: The absence of belief in god(s)

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Tue May 10, 2011 10:43 pm

televator wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:"We fought for King and country, not the fucking government!"

Is this more noteworthy in its context? What makes fighting for a king better than fighting for government?

Yes, it is. The prime minister pretty much left the king out of the distribution of the Norwegian war cross. A medal that these veterans have waited an entire lifetime for because the government previously didn't want to give, apparently because medals were considered bad.
His Majesty wanted it to be handed out though, but suddenly the prime minister took the honor of doing that once the ceremony was to be held.
This was an enormous scandal yesterday, and Alf R. Bjercke reacted to it with this quote.
The king is supposed to hand this out, not our slippery little fucking untrustworthy politicians. Hell, the government originally wanted to surrender to Hitler during the war. The king's grandfather, Haakon VII, used his Veto right that time, and Norway continued to fight Hitler, even when Germany took over. These men fought for said king and said people, not the government.
Was I a Christian then I'd end this sentence with "God bless our Monarchy".

When the government tries to hand these medals over and leaves the king out(who according to the CONSTITUTION is the one supposed to do this) then that is a spit in the face of the veterans, the king and the Norwegian people.
Wed May 11, 2011 7:06 pm

BrainBlow wrote:
televator wrote:Is this more noteworthy in its context? What makes fighting for a king better than fighting for government?

Yes, it is. The prime minister pretty much left the king out of the distribution of the Norwegian war cross. A medal that these veterans have waited an entire lifetime for because the government previously didn't want to give, apparently because medals were considered bad.
His Majesty wanted it to be handed out though, but suddenly the prime minister took the honor of doing that once the ceremony was to be held.
This was an enormous scandal yesterday, and Alf R. Bjercke reacted to it with this quote.
The king is supposed to hand this out, not our slippery little fucking untrustworthy politicians. Hell, the government originally wanted to surrender to Hitler during the war. The king's grandfather, Haakon VII, used his Veto right that time, and Norway continued to fight Hitler, even when Germany took over. These men fought for said king and said people, not the government.
Was I a Christian then I'd end this sentence with "God bless our Monarchy".

When the government tries to hand these medals over and leaves the king out(who according to the CONSTITUTION is the one supposed to do this) then that is a spit in the face of the veterans, the king and the Norwegian people.

To put it in a better context:
It's the difference between the Queen giving you medals and knighting you, and giving you honors, and the Prime Minister jumping in at the last second to do it instead of the Queen.

>.>

I can always put it in context of American Idol, if you want.
Wed May 11, 2011 8:01 pm

I for one would rather be a hypocrite than an idle witness to mass murder. The argument to not intervene in Libya because the west/UN/NATO/etc doesn't intervene in every despot and dictatorship is a false one. It is the currency of those who justify repression and murder of innocent civilians. Perhaps those who truly believe such should watch 'Shindler's List' and then dismiss the efforts of Mr. Shindler because he was a Nazi supporter initially.

The people - actually, the recognized government according to France - asked for assistance. At what cost to NATO is giving the people the right to choose their own destiny? Boots on the grounds? Massive warplanes being shot down? No. Some pounds and euros and dollars is all. If we do not extend the same inherent universal rights we so claim to cherish to the brothers and sisters of the world who are begging for it, and require so very very little of us to do, we sorely do not deserve those rights for ourselves.

-Someone on an Al Jazeera comment section
Fri May 20, 2011 8:21 pm

‎"You develop a sense of global conciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, 'Look at that, you son of a bitch.'"
-Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 astronaut
Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:05 pm

"Faerie tales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist,
but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."
G.K. Chesterton
Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:25 am
PreviousNext
 [ 142 posts ] 
Return to General Discussion