Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 5 of 8
 [ 144 posts ] 
** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.
Author Message
nemesissUser avatarPosts: 1259Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

found on "Crazy thing parents say"

(Telling my mum of a clip I had watched on Youtube.)
Me: Two guys said that the only proof needed that God exists is the banana, that it's designed to fit into our hand and is easy to peel and eat.
Mum: And how do they explain the coconut?
Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1221Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

nemesiss wrote:Mum: And how do they explain the coconut?


See? If god hadn't wanted people to have gay sex he'd have devised our genitalia like a coconut, and not like a banana that just fits holes.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 pm
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

My Brilliant Self wrote:There is no such thing as a dangerous question.
Just uncomfortable answers with bouts of awkward pauses.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:34 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

nemesiss wrote:Mum: And how do they explain the coconut?


Coconuts are bears eggs.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:42 pm
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

I refuse to believe that corporations are people until Texas executes one.
-A Funny Thing-
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:07 am
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:I refuse to believe that corporations are people until Texas executes one.
-A Funny Thing-

+10 internets for you.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:46 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

It's my Facebook page.
3 more likes, and I show up on Facebook's Search Bar!
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:05 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

"How can a three-pound mass of jelly that you can hold in your palm imagine angels, contemplate the meaning of infinity, and even question its own place in the cosmos? Especially awe inspiring is the fact that any single brain, including yours, is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless, far-flung stars billions of years ago. These particles drifted for eons and light-years until gravity and change brought them together here, now. These atoms now form a conglomerate- your brain- that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans, it has been said, the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, it the greatest mystery of all."

- V.S. Ramachandran
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:46 pm
BrainBlowUser avatarPosts: 370Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pmLocation: Norway Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

"I'm a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I've been up linked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond!

I'm new wave, but I'm old school and my inner child is outward bound. I'm a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I'm interactive, I'm hyperactive and from time to time I'm radioactive.

Behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, ridin the wave, dodgin the bullet and pushin the envelope. I'm on-point, on-task, on-message and off drugs. I've got no need for coke and speed. I've got no urge to binge and purge. I'm in-the-moment, on-the-edge, over-the-top and under-the-radar. A high-concept, low-profile, medium-range ballistic missionary. A street-wise smart bomb. A top-gun bottom feeder. I wear power ties, I tell power lies, I take power naps and run victory laps. I'm a totally ongoing big-foot, slam-dunk, rainmaker with a pro-active outreach. A raging workaholic. A working rageaholic. Out of rehab and in denial!

I've got a personal trainer, a personal shopper, a personal assistant and a personal agenda. You can't shut me up. You can't dumb me down because I'm tireless and I'm wireless, I'm an alpha male on beta-blockers.

I'm a non-believer and an over-achiever, laid-back but fashion-forward. Up-front, down-home, low-rent, high-maintenance. Super-sized, long-lasting, high-definition, fast-acting, oven-ready and built-to-last! I'm a hands-on, foot-loose, knee-jerk head case pretty maturely post-traumatic and I've got a love-child that sends me hate mail.

But, I'm feeling, I'm caring, I'm healing, I'm sharing-- a supportive, bonding, nurturing primary care-giver. My output is down, but my income is up. I took a short position on the long bond and my revenue stream has its own cash-flow. I read junk mail, I eat junk food, I buy junk bonds and I watch trash sports! I'm gender specific, capital intensive, user-friendly and lactose intolerant.

I like rough sex. I like tough love. I use the "F" word in my emails and the software on my hard-drive is hardcore--no soft porn.

I bought a microwave at a mini-mall; I bought a mini-van at a mega-store. I eat fast-food in the slow lane. I'm toll-free, bite-sized, ready-to-wear and I come in all sizes. A fully-equipped, factory-authorized, hospital-tested, clinically-proven, scientifically- formulated medical miracle. I've been pre-wash, pre-cooked, pre-heated, pre-screened, pre-approved, pre-packaged, post-dated, freeze-dried, double-wrapped, vacuum-packed and, I have an unlimited broadband capacity.

I'm a rude dude, but I'm the real deal. Lean and mean! Cocked, locked and ready-to-rock. Rough, tough and hard to bluff. I take it slow, I go with the flow, I ride with the tide. I've got glide in my stride. Drivin and movin, sailin and spinin, jiving and groovin, wailin and winnin. I don't snooze, so I don't lose. I keep the pedal to the metal and the rubber on the road. I party hearty and lunch time is crunch time. I'm hangin in, there ain't no doubt and I'm hangin tough, over and out!"
-George Carlin

Yes, that is a quote. He said everything in one go.
Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:43 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Friend of mine: Why do you have to question everything?... Oh right, you're an atheist.

(She's one too.)
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 pm
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Laurens wrote:"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius

Citation needed.


You know what? Nevermind. It sounded so good I [don't] care who said it.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:55 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Anachronous Rex wrote:Citation needed.


You know what? Nevermind. It sounded so good I care who said it.


I take it you meant "I don't care"? :P
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:59 pm
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Inferno wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Citation needed.


You know what? Nevermind. It sounded so good I care who said it.


I take it you meant "I don't care"? :P

I admit nothing but subtly introduce an edit.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Anachronous Rex wrote:I admit nothing but subtly introduce an edit.


Shoulda edited my post too, to make every trace of it disappear! ;)
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:58 pm
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

An atheist, communist, ACLU lawyer professor was teaching a class on Karl Marx. "Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and accept that Marx was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, greater than Jesus Christ!" At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL stood up, holding a rock. "How old is this rock, professor?" The arrogant professor smirked, and smugly... replied "4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian." "Wrong. It's been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real"¦ then it should be an animal now." The professor was visibly shaken. He dropped his chalk and stormed out of the classroom. The students applauded and all registered Republican. An eagle flew into the room and perched atop, the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. That flag waves until this day, despite the lack of wind in the classroom. Semper Fi.

-Erika Salton
Evolution Facebook Page
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:54 am
bluejatheistPosts: 525Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:28 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the
likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness
to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking,
but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable."

Sun Tzu
Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 pm
The Felonius PopePosts: 324Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 amLocation: Arizona

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:56 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

Science&Vie, Un dossier sous influence?, November 2011 wrote:L'exercice du doute et du sens critique face à  tout discours est une démarche non seulment légitime mais, plus encore, bien souvent nécessaire. C'est d'ailleurs une telle attitude qui est à  l'origine de l'esprit scientifique. Mais cet esprit critique doit s'exercer sous le contrà´le de la raison, et non pas passions.


Translation: The exercise of doubt and a sense of criticism (critical thinking) in a discourse is not only a legitimate course of action, but indeed often a necessary one. In addition, it is this attitude that is at the heart of (or origin of) the scientific mindset. But this critical mindset should be exercised under the control of reason, not of passion.

I thought that was rather beautiful, though I'm not sure if my translation adequately reflects the nature of this quote. It is however rather better than the google translate version:
The exercise of the doubt and think critically about all rhetoric is not ONLY a legitimate approach, but even more often necessary. Moreover, it is this attitude which is the origin of the scientific spirit. But this criticism is to be exercised under the control of reason, not passion.


This was the opening statement in an article about 9/11 truthers and how the evidence does not suggest that missiles hit the tower or some other crap.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm
bluejatheistPosts: 525Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:28 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Post any notable quotes you can find here.

" I don't like what we have become. ... become so... fearful, have we become so cowardly... that we must extinguish a man? Because he carries the blood of a current enemy?"
Captain Picard
Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:26 am
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 5 of 8
 [ 144 posts ] 
Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests