Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Organisms created with synthetic DNA

[ 3 posts ] 
Organisms created with synthetic DNA
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 754Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Organisms created with synthetic DNA

In a report published on Monday, the scientists describe the modified microbes as a starting point for efforts to “create organisms with wholly unnatural attributes and traits not found elsewhere in nature.” The cells constitute a “stable form of semi-synthetic life” and “lay the foundation for achieving the central goal of synthetic biology: the creation of new life forms and functions,” they add.

Is it just me or is this in equal parts exiting and terrifying?

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... plnews_d-3

Study: http://www.pnas.org/content/114/6/1317.abstract
Wed May 31, 2017 12:18 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3304Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Organisms created with synthetic DNA

Visaki wrote:Is it just me or is this in equal parts exiting and terrifying?

I have never understood why anyone ever finds this kind of thing terrifying. It is just exciting to me.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Wed May 31, 2017 6:12 pm
YIM WWW
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 754Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Organisms created with synthetic DNA

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
Visaki wrote:Is it just me or is this in equal parts exiting and terrifying?

I have never understood why anyone ever finds this kind of thing terrifying. It is just exciting to me.

I've watched too mane of the "genetically modified bacteria meant to cure cancer (or something) almost destroy humanity" movies and series I think.
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:54 am
 [ 3 posts ] 
Return to News