Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

MUSICIANS! REPORT IN HERE!

[ 128 posts ] 
MUSICIANS! REPORT IN HERE!
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: MUSICIANS! REPORT IN HERE!

ImprobableJoe wrote:Hondo guitars make me :lol:

How much did you pay for it?

About ,£100 because I traded in by busted old Epiphone Les Paul, and lol all you like, Sir, I am pleased as punch.
Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:18 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

australopithecus wrote:About ,£100 because I traded in by busted old Epiphone Les Paul, and lol all you like, Sir, I am pleased as punch.

Oh, I'm sure you are... some sucker went out and bought an Epiphone 335 copy for 5 times as much, and you got... A HONDO!! :lol:

I have this theory about vintage guitars, and Hondo guitars help to prove it. My idea is that vintage guitars are awesome because the only ones that survive are the best examples of them, not because they were always uniformly awesome when they were first made. Hondos were semi-cheap Japanese and Korean ripoff guitars 30-40 years ago, but I've never heard a bad word about the ones that are still playable today. And they can STILL be had for cheap, which makes me laugh my ass off. You did good... but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. :)
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:32 am
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

I'm getting mixed readings :? as such I'm confused. All I can say is it plays beautifully and sounds fantastic.

So there!!!1 :D
Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 am

australopithecus wrote:
I'm getting mixed readings :? as such I'm confused. All I can say is it plays beautifully and sounds fantastic.

So there!!!1 :D

No sarcasm.
Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:39 am

In that case...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:42 pm
YfelsungUser avatarPosts: 514Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:26 amLocation: Canada Gender: Male

I can play a few instruments to differing levels of competency.

I can play bass well enough to cover anything they'd play on the radio.

I can play drums well enough to keep a standard rock beat, waltz or punk/polka beat.

I used to be able to play the flute and read sheet music but I think I've drugged that out of my brain by now.

I can sing, I think. I don't really do it in public but when I've been caught by people I've been told I am good, but I find I have to sign below my natural range to sound good. If I try to sing my natural vocal range, which is higher pitched, I can't hold notes as easy as if I sing low.

I listen to a lot of extreme metal and can emulate a few different kinds of death growls and black rasps, but my lungs are shit and doing so causes me to start hacking a lung after a minute or two.
Nihilism: turning "fuck it" into a philosophy since 1818.
Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:06 pm
FlyingRainbowPenguinUser avatarPosts: 8Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:04 pm Gender: Female

Piano... Guitar.... And I sing....
Never took lessons in any of which, but I'm halfway decent at Piano and singing.... Guitar I struggle with...
Stuff I can play:
Piano: I took a stab at Kyle Laundry's version of 'Passion' From Kingdom Hearts Soundtrack.... And failed, however I can play Airplanes (B.O.B Ft Hayley Williams, Dear you (Higurashi soundtrack), and Beauty and the beast (Take a stab in the dark at who made that song T.T)
Guitar: I can do chord stuff.... Best of which being Fireflies (Owl City)
Vocals: I sang Don't stop believing in the style of Journey for a local young singers competition, I've also done several solos in my school choir including Hallelujiah ((Spelling Fail T.T)), and Mary's Boy Child at a church carol service last year.
..... I feel ilke I should stop rambling now....
ThinkingOfYou,WhereEverYouAre.
WePrayForOurSorrowsToEnd,AndOurHeartsToBlend.
NowIStepForwardToRealizeThisWish.
AndWhoKnows;StartingANewJourneyMayNotBeSoHard,
OrMaybeItHasAlreadyBegun.
ThereAreManyWorlds,AndTheyShareTheSameSky-
OneSky,OneDestiny.
Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Hey folks, just thought I would mention this cool effects pedal I ran across today!

It is an Atheist Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal from ProTone pedals. It sounds pretty killer from the demo on the website, and proceeds are donated to Non-Believers Giving Aid, which is sponsored by Richard Dawkins.

If you need a metal distortion, this one sounds as good as anything else, and the money goes towards a good cause. I'll be ordering mine on Monday. :D
Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:31 pm
Pennies for ThoughtsUser avatarPosts: 237Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 amLocation: San Francisco Gender: Male

Post How to Rid Your Place of Musicians.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you. It's what you do know that ain't so." -- Will Rogers
Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 pm
Pennies for ThoughtsUser avatarPosts: 237Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 amLocation: San Francisco Gender: Male

I dunno, but I've got a fine collection of musician-bashing videos I'd be horoured to add to this thread. Lemme know if y'want more?

Yer pal,
VJ PFT

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you. It's what you do know that ain't so." -- Will Rogers
Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:13 am
CRHThreeUser avatarPosts: 21Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:08 pmLocation: U.S Georgia Gender: Male

http://www.youtube.com/user/greydonsqua ... k85GLU0_8U I'll just leave this here for everyones entertainment.
Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:24 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatar
Posts: 2921Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

The best thing I own in the world
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Laurens wrote:
The best thing I own in the world

It must be nice to be able to pick just one. I can't seem to do it...

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 am

ARISE, DEAD THREAD!!

Bumping, just because. Anyone got anything new since the thread died?
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:29 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

OK well...

This is my #1 Baby:

Yamaha YTR-2335, 2100€. 14 years of play at this point, though I'm not nearly as good as I could be. (Studies and science gets in the way.) Did a few tours to Morocco, France and Poland with the School Band, am now in a Cover Band, but we're in the process of writing our own material.

I also own a Bass (some crappy thing for 80€), a Blues-Guitar (130€) and an acoustic.
My #2 Baby is my voice. I'm currently not using it very much, but I sang in a variety of choirs and also sang Baritone solo once.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 pm

I still have my hondo, which is still fantastic and awesome.

I also still have my Peavey Zodiac bass, however that's likely to be traded in at some point soon for an acoustic bass.

I have a couple of new additions, first being an Ibanez AMF73. It was an engagement present from the Mrs. She gets a ring, I get a guitar. I think I won.

...and finally, an entry level Encore SG copy, which was a birthday present last year. It's not the best guitar, but it does the job and it's perfect for lugging round my mates for a jam.
Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Ooh, I do love an SG.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:30 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 504Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

My baby...

Been playing for 15 years. Currently I'm working on Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement presto agitato by Beethoven and Valse Fantasie by Glinka.
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:02 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Dustnite wrote:Currently I'm working on Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement presto agitato by Beethoven

:D
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatar
Posts: 2921Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Here's what I play:

I love it to death
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook