where else can you find us?

The League of Reason still has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Acronyms for evolution

[ 6 posts ] 
Acronyms for evolution
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Acronyms for evolution

This may sound like a strange request, but I'm on an Erasmus semester from September until January but it apparently (let's see if it's true) won't be that hard or much to do, simply because I've already done a lot of it from my first (unfinished) degree. Because I will have a lot of free time, I was looking for something to do in that time. I already have my Bachelors thesis cued (category: hard work), another project of mine (category: making money) and I was looking for one that fits the category "intellectual, yet funny". I came up with the following idea:

I want to use Prezi to compile one big, as well as several small, presentations on evolution (and possibly creationism, atheism,theism and other topics as it develops), in the hopes of some day having a large set of presentations that will be edited and used by the community. Kinda like Wikipedia, but in presentation form. Yeah I know, that's a huge task I've set myself. And yeah, I also know I probably won't ever make it. Anyway, that's not the point. Right now, I want something creative to start off the presentation: An acronym of evolution for the presentation.

Basically something like:
The Theory Of Evolution

T for Theory
H for Holotype
E for ...

and so on. Basically, the heading should describe evolution (maybe something like "Evolution - The Grand Design" or "Evolution - The Greatest Show On Earth" or "Evolution - Darwin's Dangerous Idea") and the words themselves should be major topics in the theory, like genetics, palaeontology, evo-devo and others. Or related topics like "hoaxes", "creationism" and "schools".

I'm two weeks out before I finish my exams for this semester, so I'll get started on the first of July. If someone already has ideas, please let me know.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:47 pm
Gila GuerillaUser avatarPosts: 13Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Acronyms for evolution

D A R W I N :-

D.A.R.U.U.I.N.

Delere.....................Destroy

Auctorem................. the Author

Rerum.......................of Things

Ut Universum...........in order to

Infinitum.....................Understand

Nosca.........................the Infinite Universe

[Destroy the author of things, the infinite universe to understand]

Credit to: Dan Dennett "Darwin's Strange Inversion of Reasoning"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOEpmZHA1s

(about the 66 minute mark)

N.B. There's no letter 'W', in Latin
Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:26 am
Gila GuerillaUser avatarPosts: 13Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 am Gender: Male

Evolution:-

Emergence Of Viable Life Under Tiny Increments Of Nature

Egress Of Vivacious Life Upon Transmogrifying Influence Of Nomogeny

DNA:-

Derived Natural Attribute
Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

As promised, I started this project a few weeks ago. I'm mostly preoccupied with handing in late assignments, so it's going slow. Here's the first part, called "Science 101". I hope this works, so here's the
unfinished Prezi-presentation

and below is the

Right at the end, I state that I will make it into videos. This might happen or it might not.
In any case, I decided to start with an intro to science because so many creationists don't even have a rudimentary grasp of it.
I haven't yet added any pictures to the Prezi and I'm not yet content with the script, I'm sure it needs a lot of work. Criticize me as harshly as you can, attack my ideas as viciously as possible please.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:34 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2916Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Sorry to nitpick, but I think I'm right in saying that Dawkins was actually quoting someone else when he said this:

To quote Richard Dawkins: "Science is interesting. And if you don't agree, you can fuck off."

I might be mistaken, and I'm not sure who he was quoting, but perhaps someone would like to clarify?
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Laurens wrote:Sorry to nitpick, but I think I'm right in saying that Dawkins was actually quoting someone else when he said this:

To quote Richard Dawkins: "Science is interesting. And if you don't agree, you can fuck off."

I might be mistaken, and I'm not sure who he was quoting, but perhaps someone would like to clarify?

True, my bad. "A former and highly successful editor of "New Scientist Magazine" - who actually built up "New Scientist" to great new heights - was asked "What is your philosophy at "New Scientist"?" and he said "Science is interesting. And if you don't agree, you can fuck off."

TY for the nit-pick. :)

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:01 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
Return to Creativity