Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Got Ink? General tattoo thread.

[ 5 posts ] 
Got Ink? General tattoo thread.
DaealisUser avatarPosts: 235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pmLocation: Tampere

Post Got Ink? General tattoo thread.

I couldn't find a general tattoo thread(only that thread LordDirk had about his tattoo idea), and I'm sure there are plenty of inked people here, so here goes.

I just got my first ink done last weekend, and I'm pleased on how the it turned out. Here it is:

I've had this idea in my head for a decade now, ever since I was around 18. Back then I was at the peak of my christianity. It's become even more meaningful to me after I stopped believing.

At first it was a declaration of my belief with the god-symbols(alpha & omega), the pentagram signifying the five wounds of christ at the cross and finally the cross. Legend goes that St. Peter was crucified upside down, so a tribute to that.

But now it signifies to me all that is wrong with religions and is more of a homage to ancient Greece roots of "western civilisation". And the symbols are linked in the general public to satanism or such "evils", so the shock-value is hilarious because I can just point to the reasons I had earlier for the tattoo and claim it's a christian tattoo.

All in all, it's a point & laugh at my former beliefs, telling the story of the rise & fall of my spiritual side.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:17 am
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3508Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Got Ink? General tattoo thread.

Daealis wrote:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8879877/Pew/tats.png

This looks like it's before healing (though I may be wrong)... Have any after healing?
Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm
DaealisUser avatarPosts: 235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pmLocation: Tampere

borrofburi wrote:This looks like it's before healing (though I may be wrong)... Have any after healing?

I only took it 6 days ago, so not yet.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:19 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

That reminds me: Awesome science-related tats! If I would have tats, I'd probably do something akin to the people on that blog.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 pm
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3508Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

I really want a (rather large) tattoo, but unfortunately I'm not very good at design myself and the vast majority of tattoos (and their artists) appeal to an aesthetic that I do not share. Well, except tribal, but I don't think I could do that because I'd feel entirely too judged.
Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:00 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Return to Creativity