Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Theists crying over atheist churches

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 3
 [ 42 posts ] 
Theists crying over atheist churches
Author Message
Gendou_AugustusPosts: 26Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:33 am Gender: Time Lord

Post Theists crying over atheist churches

I was in one of those atheist-theist discussion groups. It was called Atheism and Theism Speech without restrictions (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730026393699946/) I think. Anyway, I was in a discussion with a theist about atheism being a religion. Here's what he said:

atheismisareligiondude wrote:Atheism is a religious opinion on a religious topic



He also pointed others to this article about atheism being a religion:
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21319945

He seemed to confuse theism with religion, likely leading him to his flawed conclusion. But our focal point is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Assembly

Wikipedia wrote:Sunday Assembly is a non-religious gathering co-founded by Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans in January 2013 in London, England. The gathering is mostly for non-religious people who want a similar communal experience to a religious church, though religious people are also welcome.


Seemingly him and other theists, point to this as atheism being a religion. Of course, theists that point this out, are completely ignoring the
fact that this is little more than atheists trying have a comunale "church-like" environment, where atheists and non-religious folk, can have a good time. They're basically crying over the fact that atheists are trying to create places where they have a feeling of belonging and community, where none may exist. Purely fucking pathetic, I say.
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:55 am
*SD*User avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Atheism isn't a religion.

It has nothing in common with religion. No tenets, no dogma, no holy figures, no divine entities, no scripture, no dictates, no moral pronouncements. And no loads of other things I can't be arsed to list that are common to most religions.

Back when I used to be heavily involved in the whole atheism/theism thing, this came up a lot. I would submit that most of the theists (not ALL) who make this weird claim know it isn't true and they just do it to antagonise.

Anyway, so what if atheism were a religion? What direction could the conversation go in? 'Well yeah ok God is a pretty stupid idea but you guys suck too!"

Either that or they just want to try the "well you have no business criticising religion when you belong to one too!" In which case point out the fact that atheism isn't a religion for the above reasons and many more.
Image
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 am
WWW
Steelmage99Posts: 203Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

When it comes to this particular issue I need one question answered before any discussion can take place; define religion.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 am
SparhafocPosts: 2626Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Steelmage99 wrote:... define religion.


Religion (n): not atheism
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:45 am
dandanPosts: 460Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 2:16 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Only fanatic atheists care whether if one what to label atheism as religion or not. The average atheist wouldn’t care if someone lables atheism as a religion.

Except for fanatics, nobody cares if the option “atheist” is found in a questionary that asks for the religion that you profess.
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm
*SD*User avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

dandan wrote:Only fanatic atheists


What are those? It seems a strange notion to think that one could be fanatical about atheism, so I'd be grateful if you could elaborate a little.

The average atheist wouldn’t care if someone lables atheism as a religion.


I'm an atheist. And I consider my self average in every possible way (except in the bedroom, my performance there is nothing short of astonishing) and it 'bothers' me when atheism is being referred to as a religion. Mostly because it's incorrect. Don't get me wrong, I don't sit around the place stewing and fuming about it, trying to rid the world of this strange idea, but when discussing the topic, it's something I'll care about enough to argue against.

Except for fanatics, nobody cares if the option “atheist” is found in a questionary that asks for the religion that you profess.


Most questionnaires/surveys I've completed that feature this question do have 'atheist' as an option. The more recent ones anyway.
Image
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:55 pm
WWW
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 3210Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Greetings,

dandan wrote:Only fanatic atheists care whether if one what to label atheism as religion or not. The average atheist wouldn’t care if someone lables atheism as a religion.

Except for fanatics, nobody cares if the option “atheist” is found in a questionary that asks for the religion that you profess.

To give you an idea of how that reads,...

"Only fanatic theists care whether if one wants to label theism as superstition or not. The average theist wouldn’t care if someone labels theism as superstition.

Except for fanatics, nobody cares if the option “superstition” is the only option in a questionnaire that asks for the religion that you profess."

Would you care to be referred to as superstitious in relation to your religious beliefs?

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 pm
dandanPosts: 460Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 2:16 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

*SD* wrote:
dandan wrote:Only fanatic atheists


What are those? It seems a strange notion to think that one could be fanatical about atheism, so I'd be grateful if you could elaborate a little.

The average atheist wouldn’t care if someone lables atheism as a religion.


I'm an atheist. And I consider my self average in every possible way (except in the bedroom, my performance there is nothing short of astonishing) and it 'bothers' me when atheism is being referred to as a religion. Mostly because it's incorrect. Don't get me wrong, I don't sit around the place stewing and fuming about it, trying to rid the world of this strange idea, but when discussing the topic, it's something I'll care about enough to argue against.

Except for fanatics, nobody cares if the option “atheist” is found in a questionary that asks for the religion that you profess.


Most questionnaires/surveys I've completed that feature this question do have 'atheist' as an option. The more recent ones anyway.



If I define what I mean by “fanatic atheist” I will open the door for a new discussion unrelated to the topic. (I personally don’t care, but you take the blame if that happens)

With fanatic atheist in this context I simply mean someone who defends atheism with the same passion and irrationality that a fanatic Christian would defend the bible.

I in this case I agree with Steelmage99 before judging if atheism is a religion or not, one has to define “religion”
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:26 pm
dandanPosts: 460Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 2:16 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Dragan Glas wrote:Greetings,

dandan wrote:Only fanatic atheists care whether if one what to label atheism as religion or not. The average atheist wouldn’t care if someone lables atheism as a religion.

Except for fanatics, nobody cares if the option “atheist” is found in a questionary that asks for the religion that you profess.

To give you an idea of how that reads,...

"Only fanatic theists care whether if one wants to label theism as superstition or not. The average theist wouldn’t care if someone labels theism as superstition.

Except for fanatics, nobody cares if the option “superstition” is the only option in a questionnaire that asks for the religion that you profess."

Would you care to be referred to as superstitious in relation to your religious beliefs?

Kindest regards,

James



No I wouldn’t care.

I personally have a set of world views, whether if you what to label them as religion, superstition or whatever would be irrelevant for me.

The crucial question is whether if these world views are correct or not, nobody should make a big deal on how we should label those views.

If you ask me whether if I personally consider my set of views superstition or not, I would ask you to define superstition.
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:31 pm
*SD*User avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

dandan wrote:If I define what I mean by “fanatic atheist” I will open the door for a new discussion unrelated to the topic.


But it is related. If I don't know what a fanatical atheist is then how can we discuss anything about these people?

I personally don’t care, but you take the blame if that happens


Deal. If you get told off or put on the naughty step for talking about something entirely ON topic I'll take the blame. Seeing as that doesn't happen, I have little to worry about.
Image
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:41 pm
WWW
SparhafocPosts: 2626Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Troll back to troll.

How many sock asses do you have your hand up?
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm
dandanPosts: 460Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 2:16 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

*SD* wrote:
dandan wrote:If I define what I mean by “fanatic atheist” I will open the door for a new discussion unrelated to the topic.


But it is related. If I don't know what a fanatical atheist is then how can we discuss anything about these people?

I personally don’t care, but you take the blame if that happens


Deal. If you get told off or put on the naughty step for talking about something entirely ON topic I'll take the blame. Seeing as that doesn't happen, I have little to worry about.

Well I already said what I had to say, including my definition of “fanatic atheist” I have nothing to add….
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm
*SD*User avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

dandan wrote:With fanatic atheist in this context I simply mean someone who defends atheism with the same passion and irrationality that a fanatic Christian would defend the bible.


You sure do use some interesting language. How could one 'defend' atheism with the same passion and irrationality as a fanatical Christian defending the Bible? This is genuinely confusing to me. Please explain further.
Image
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:03 pm
WWW
dandanPosts: 460Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 2:16 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

*SD* wrote:
dandan wrote:With fanatic atheist in this context I simply mean someone who defends atheism with the same passion and irrationality that a fanatic Christian would defend the bible.


You sure do use some interesting language. How could one 'defend' atheism with the same passion and irrationality as a fanatical Christian defending the Bible? This is genuinely confusing to me. Please explain further.


Ignoring any argument against your view, insulting those who disagree with you, having an interest in converting others in to your world viewm, willingness to adopt an incoherent or absurd position before granting that a theist made a good point, admitting that no evidence would convince you that you are wrong, etc.
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 pm
*SD*User avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Ok, well I promise not to do any of the above. So back to your assertion that most 'average atheists' don't care if atheism is labelled as a religion. I'm an average atheist and I do care. I hereby cede you the floor. Let's hear it.
Image
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 pm
WWW
SparhafocPosts: 2626Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Ignoring any argument against your view, insulting those who disagree with you, having an interest in converting others in to your world viewm, willingness to adopt an incoherent or absurd position before granting that a theist made a good point, admitting that no evidence would convince you that you are wrong, etc.


Admission that this is LEROY's M.O. when it comes to arguing for his religious beliefs in the public arena.

We know. Thousands of posts evidence this.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:43 pm
dandanPosts: 460Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 2:16 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Sparhafoc wrote:
Ignoring any argument against your view, insulting those who disagree with you, having an interest in converting others in to your world viewm, willingness to adopt an incoherent or absurd position before granting that a theist made a good point, admitting that no evidence would convince you that you are wrong, etc.


Admission that this is LEROY's M.O. when it comes to arguing for his religious beliefs in the public arena.

We know. Thousands of posts evidence this.


It has never been a secret; I changed my view on various topics since I created my “DANDAN” account, this is why I created “leroy”
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:54 pm
dandanPosts: 460Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 2:16 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

*SD* wrote:Ok, well I promise not to do any of the above. So back to your assertion that most 'average atheists' don't care if atheism is labelled as a religion. I'm an average atheist and I do care. I hereby cede you the floor. Let's hear it.


Form what I understood form previous comments, you don’t find it offensive if someone calls atheism a religion……………right?

The correct answer on whether if atheism is a religion or not, depends on how you define “religion” this is not supposed to be controversial, I don’t see why can’t we stop the conversation right there.
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:58 pm
*SD*User avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

Form what I understood form previous comments, you don’t find it offensive if someone calls atheism a religion……………right?


Offensive? No. Not offensive. Reason being that anyone engaged in this level of misunderstanding and / or willful ignorance / dishonesty is probably incapable of offending me in any capacity. If we were having a good old discussion, and you made the claim that atheism is a religion, I would argue against that. Because it's incorrect. We could spend many, many years arguing about why it's incorrect, but I still wouldn't be offended by it because the assertion in the first place would mean, like I said, that you'd be engaged in dishonesty or ignorance.

Regrettably, I won't be addressing you further until it is made clear as to whether your account will remain active or not. It would be a waste of time addressing comments from someone who's membership is sort of in question. I'm sure you understand this.
Image
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:07 pm
WWW
SparhafocPosts: 2626Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Theists crying over atheist churches

dandan wrote:
Sparhafoc wrote:Admission that this is LEROY's M.O. when it comes to arguing for his religious beliefs in the public arena.

We know. Thousands of posts evidence this.


It has never been a secret; I changed my view on various topics since I created my “DANDAN” account, this is why I created “leroy”



That's funny.

So LEROY ignored any argument against his views, insulted those who disagreed with him, had an interest in converting others to his world view, was willing to adopt an incoherent or absurd position before granting that an atheist made a good point, and admitted no evidence that would convince him he was wrong... but dandan acted differently?

No, of course not. The same fool's behind all the different usernames. A pile of shit by any other name would smell as rank.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:07 pm
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 3
 [ 42 posts ] 
Return to Atheism & Theism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
cron