Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

List of where the Bible got its stories from...

[ 4 posts ] 
List of where the Bible got its stories from...
WaffPosts: 25Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:51 am Gender: Male

Post List of where the Bible got its stories from...

Been watching AronRa's video on the 2nd FFoC. I got to the part about where the Old testament got its stories from, and I did a lil research on some of the documents he listed. But I didnt get info on all of them. The ones I didnt get much info on were The Zend Avesta, Egyptian Book of the Dead, Amenhotep's Religion of Amen-Ra, astrology of Helel ben Shahar, legends of Sargon, Mises, Hammurabi and the Pharoah Seneferu. Maybe if yall could give me the info on those. And just add whatever else the Old Testament may have gotten its stories from.
Mon May 10, 2010 4:53 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: List of where the Bible got its stories from...

The Enuma elish is one.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon May 10, 2010 8:24 am
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Waff wrote:Been watching AronRa's video on the 2nd FFoC. I got to the part about where the Old testament got its stories from, and I did a lil research on some of the documents he listed. But I didnt get info on all of them. The ones I didnt get much info on were The Zend Avesta, Egyptian Book of the Dead, Amenhotep's Religion of Amen-Ra, astrology of Helel ben Shahar, legends of Sargon, Mises, Hammurabi and the Pharoah Seneferu. Maybe if yall could give me the info on those. And just add whatever else the Old Testament may have gotten its stories from.

I think this might be the Amenhotep one, there was an Egyptian Pharoah who tried to start a monotheistic religion for the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Mon May 10, 2010 4:24 pm
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

Amenhotep IV (sometimes given its Greek form, Amenophis

Amenophis. Hahaha. Pronounce it... haha, great name for a leader.
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Tue May 11, 2010 9:03 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
Return to Atheism & Theism