Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Devil made Rock Music

[ 26 posts ] 
The Devil made Rock Music
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: The Devil made Rock Music

nasher168 wrote:You don't have to be a Christian to believe literally in Satan, but a belief in the Judeo-Christian god and some of the stories in Christianity is certainly a necessary prerequisite. It really depends on your definition of Christian. If we take Christian to mean you believe in that stuff, then yes, all literalist Satanists are necessarily Christians as well, but if we take it to mean actually worshipping Jesus and God, then no Satanist is a Christian.

Christians are the ones who try to pointedly fit Religions to what someone believes - like saying Atheism is a religion. This is just an example where I enjoy toying with semantics over such issues. If an atheist is religious over nothing, then Christianity is religious over Satan. Therefore Christians = Satanists.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:28 pm
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Well, then the devil makes a lot of cool things, like rock, the internet, premarital sex, secular governments, and just about anything fun or useful to society.

And I love how this pretty much turned into a "what do you have to believe to worship satan" thread
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:40 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Lallapalalable wrote:And I love how this pretty much turned into a "what do you have to believe to worship satan" thread

You're right.
This thread is now about kittens.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:16 am
theatheistguyUser avatarPosts: 424Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 amLocation: Lisburn, UK Gender: Male

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:
theatheistguy wrote:Belief in the Christian deity does not make one Christian, as therefore, within that belief, Morning Star himself would be a Christian, rather it is the worship of the Christian deity that makes one a Christian.

Are you implying that Belief is not a prerequisite to worship something?
I'd say that an imaginary friend must be recognized first to be adored - you can't worship something you don't believe in.

Huh? You may want to read what I said again, never said anything of the sort. Indeed belief is a prerequisite to worship, however belief does not predicate worship.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
-Carl Sagan
Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:01 am

theatheistguy wrote:Huh? You may want to read what I said again, never said anything of the sort. Indeed belief is a prerequisite to worship, however belief does not predicate worship.

I'm sorry - I've had a long day, and not the time to properly construct a sentence.

But I do say that if a Christian can define and Atheist as "One who believes Nothing" then can Atheists not, therefore, define Christians by what they DO believe?
For example - some Christians do not believe in Satan. We can call them "A-Satanists." But could a Christian that does believe Satan exists not be called "Satanist" by mere use of the defining term?
(Also, I do believe that in the Bible poor old Satan still recognizes Christ in his Supremacy : However, the Fallen Seraphim just lives in Hate beacue he knows his demise is soon to come)
Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:17 am
theatheistguyUser avatarPosts: 424Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 amLocation: Lisburn, UK Gender: Male

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:I'm sorry - I've had a long day, and not the time to properly construct a sentence.

That's fine, we've all had days like that and moments of illiteracy ;)

But I do say that if a Christian can define and Atheist as "One who believes Nothing" then can Atheists not, therefore, define Christians by what they DO believe?
For example - some Christians do not believe in Satan. We can call them "A-Satanists." But could a Christian that does believe Satan exists not be called "Satanist" by mere use of the defining term?

Well I don't think the appropriate response to a poor definition is to give another poor definition in kind, but rather to correct them to continue to use correct definitions. For example, someone who believes in a deity is a theist, someone who then worships that deity is a religious theist.

(Also, I do believe that in the Bible poor old Satan still recognizes Christ in his Supremacy : However, the Fallen Seraphim just lives in Hate beacue he knows his demise is soon to come)

Indeed, Morning Star realises that Yahweh is his better, and although having once worshipped him for that, he then stopped and rebelled with an army of angels.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
-Carl Sagan
Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:18 pm
Previous
 [ 26 posts ] 
Return to Atheism & Theism