Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Poe's Cartoon?

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 10 posts ] 
Poe's Cartoon?
Author Message
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Post Poe's Cartoon?

This cartoon was in a blogpost dissect by PZ Myers http://answersto.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/the-silliest-atheist-say-or-do/. It accuses atheists of being evil vegan, ghost hunting, satan worshipers. I don't think the article is a Poe, but I'm not so sure about the cartoon, I think it'd be hilarious if the blogger got Poe'd.

Perhaps it's supposed to be insulting, but I found myself going yep, yep, yep. Thought you all might enjoy.

Image

The one that mystifies me most is the painful urination. I don't know how a theist would interpret that; to me it sounds like fear of the unknown makes people theists.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:14 pm
DeistPaladinUser avatarPosts: 337Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pmLocation: Louisville, KY USA

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

RichardMNixon wrote:The one that mystifies me most is the painful urination. I don't know how a theist would interpret that; to me it sounds like fear of the unknown makes people theists.


A sign of V.D. with a vague reference to our sexual depravity?
"The (only) Word of God is the Creation we behold"
- Thomas Paine

http://www.godvsthebible.com
Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:23 pm
WWW
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

DeistPaladin wrote:
RichardMNixon wrote:The one that mystifies me most is the painful urination. I don't know how a theist would interpret that; to me it sounds like fear of the unknown makes people theists.


A sign of V.D. with a vague reference to our sexual depravity?


Ahh, of course. Nothing says Jesus quite like The Clap.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:00 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

That is a clear parody. The theme is so out of character to be a creationist.
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 pm
Blood WraithUser avatarPosts: 59Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:52 pmLocation: Austin, TX Gender: Male

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

Shit... I meet six of the criteria listed, and my hair is almost down to my shoulders.
"Pretentious Philosophy Quote" -- Some Obscure Chucklefuck
Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:51 pm
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

Damnit, I'm an Atheist?
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 am
masterjedijaredUser avatarPosts: 154Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:34 pmLocation: Cleveland, Ohio Gender: Male

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

I've been looking for my seeds of satan all day but I think my idle hands misplaced them

:cry:
Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:34 am
AsrahnUser avatarPosts: 102Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:53 amLocation: Sweden Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

"Comfortable footwear encourages moral decadence"?

What?

Assuming the contrary will be "uncomfortable footwear", then perhaps we have found the foundational explanation for the theist's short temper.

Regardlessly, this cracks me up in so many ways. If soul patches means compensating for the lack of an actual soul, does sporting a full beard mean I'm overcompensating?

If an atheist suddenly became religious, would they suddenly have a soul as well?
God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters.
- H.L. Mencken
Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:47 am
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

RichardMNixon wrote:This cartoon was in a blogpost dissect by PZ Myers http://answersto.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/the-silliest-atheist-say-or-do/. It accuses atheists of being evil vegan, ghost hunting, satan worshipers. I don't think the article is a Poe, but I'm not so sure about the cartoon, I think it'd be hilarious if the blogger got Poe'd.

Perhaps it's supposed to be insulting, but I found myself going yep, yep, yep. Thought you all might enjoy.

Image

The one that mystifies me most is the painful urination. I don't know how a theist would interpret that; to me it sounds like fear of the unknown makes people theists.


To some degree Satan followers are atheists(Laveyan), but that doesn't mean all atheists are Satanists.(1)

What really ticks me off is the SIN comment. It is a concept made by the church to bind men into it's beliefs. (2)

Source:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism#A ... c_Satanism

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin
Unsupport unthink.
Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:58 am
monitoradiationPosts: 566Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Post Re: Poe's Cartoon?

This is totally a Poe. No way this is a serious theist cartoon.

I'll bet my soul on it.
Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 10 posts ] 
Return to Atheism & Theism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests