Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 17 posts ] 
Hello LoR and assorted lurkers
Author Message
ThyssanePosts: 13Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm Gender: Male

Post Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

About time I got to writing a little introduction here, been putting it off for a while now.

Hi all, I'm Thyssane from the Netherlands, raised christian (doopsgezind which is often translated as mennonite, though they're not half that conservative) and about 15 years ago (when I was innocently 22) I decided that church was not for me, which quickly was followed by religion not being for me.

Thanks to a longlasting period of depression the state of the world didn't really matter to me. Due to new medication this has changed, about 3-4 years ago, and I got interested in learning about politics, scientific development etc.

I've been lurking here for a while, after being pointed towards this place by my good friend Noth. Have been reading up on old and new posts, soaking up information and debating tactics. Not sure how active I'll be as a poster, but I'm sure I'll keep following the goings-on here for quite a while to come.

Best regards,
Thyssane.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 am
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

welcome
Image

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am
WWW
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Wotcha.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Welcome to the club 8-)
Image
Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:09 pm
AndromedasWakeLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 598Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 pmLocation: Captain's Chair, League HQ Gender: Cake

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Welcome. ;)
ImageImage
(( "We are 'star-stuff'. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan | Music! | Twitter - [ AndromedasWake | SiriusStargazer ] ))
Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:19 pm
WWW
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2684Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Welcome aboard, Thyssane!

I'm sorry to hear about your religious upbringing and depression. If I may ask... are they perhaps related?

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

Also, I hear there's a chatroom somwhere, and that they have cake in there.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 pm
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Thyssane wrote:About time I got to writing a little introduction here, been putting it off for a while now.

Hi all, I'm Thyssane from the Netherlands, raised christian (doopsgezind which is often translated as mennonite, though they're not half that conservative) and about 15 years ago (when I was innocently 22) I decided that church was not for me, which quickly was followed by religion not being for me.

Thanks to a longlasting period of depression the state of the world didn't really matter to me. Due to new medication this has changed, about 3-4 years ago, and I got interested in learning about politics, scientific development etc.

I've been lurking here for a while, after being pointed towards this place by my good friend Noth. Have been reading up on old and new posts, soaking up information and debating tactics. Not sure how active I'll be as a poster, but I'm sure I'll keep following the goings-on here for quite a while to come.

Best regards,
Thyssane.


Hi, welcome to the forums. ^^
Unsupport unthink.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:10 pm
ThyssanePosts: 13Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Thanks for the welcomes (which are of course the reason for writing an introduction in the first place ;) )

Gnug215 wrote:Welcome aboard, Thyssane!

I'm sorry to hear about your religious upbringing and depression. If I may ask... are they perhaps related?

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

Also, I hear there's a chatroom somwhere, and that they have cake in there.


Sure, ask away. Nope, they are not related, as religious upbringings go, mine was rather benign.
The depression is 99% certain to be genetic, though probably triggered by something in the past, though I have no idea what it was.


mmm caek.....

Best regards,
Thyssane.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 pm
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 809Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Welcome aboard. Just remember, don't check out the Creationism/ID forums for too long. They will slowly, slowly, steadily kill you.
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 pm
CaractacusUser avatarPosts: 27Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:48 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Hey! I'm an assorted lurker!!! I look forward to lurking all over your posts all lurkerish like.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:50 pm
ThyssanePosts: 13Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

CosmicJoghurt wrote:Welcome aboard. Just remember, don't check out the Creationism/ID forums for too long. They will slowly, slowly, steadily kill you.


Yes I know, but sheer morbid curiosity keeps pulling me back there :roll:

Caractacus wrote:Hey! I'm an assorted lurker!!! I look forward to lurking all over your posts all lurkerish like.


Mmmmm that somehow turned me on :mrgreen:
Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 am
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Hey dude, welcome aboard :)
Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:39 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2684Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Thyssane wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:Welcome aboard, Thyssane!

I'm sorry to hear about your religious upbringing and depression. If I may ask... are they perhaps related?

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

Also, I hear there's a chatroom somwhere, and that they have cake in there.


Sure, ask away. Nope, they are not related, as religious upbringings go, mine was rather benign.
The depression is 99% certain to be genetic, though probably triggered by something in the past, though I have no idea what it was.

mmm caek.....

Best regards,
Thyssane.


Ah, just wondering.

I had a fairly benign religious upbringing myself, but I'm pretty sure it has affected some aspects in my life (primarily negatively).

Anyway... yes, the cake. It's there, I'm sure of it.

:)
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1224Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

oh silly cake people, when will they see the light and omnomnom some pie?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:42 pm
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

WarK wrote:oh silly cake people, when will they see the light and omnomnom some pie?

I'd rather omnomnom some vlaai.
Image

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:58 pm
WWW
ThyssanePosts: 13Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:
WarK wrote:oh silly cake people, when will they see the light and omnomnom some pie?

I'd rather omnomnom some vlaai.


Vlaai is nice, but I have to agree with WarK, when given the choice, I'd pick pie everytime.

Gnug215 wrote:Ah, just wondering.

I had a fairly benign religious upbringing myself, but I'm pretty sure it has affected some aspects in my life (primarily negatively).

:)


Oww sad to hear that.
What drove me away from the church was the constantly rising amount of gossip and backstabbery going on.
None of that ever really touched on myself though, I just got incredibly annoyed with it.

Best regards,
Thyssane.
Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:32 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2684Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Hello LoR and assorted lurkers

Thyssane wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:Ah, just wondering.

I had a fairly benign religious upbringing myself, but I'm pretty sure it has affected some aspects in my life (primarily negatively).

:)


Oww sad to hear that.
What drove me away from the church was the constantly rising amount of gossip and backstabbery going on.
None of that ever really touched on myself though, I just got incredibly annoyed with it.

Best regards,
Thyssane.


Oh, it's not terrible. While it was negative (at least in some areas), it wasn't overly bad.

But yeah, it was similar experiences that moved me away from the church. I could put it this way: "The problem with Christianity is Christians."
I guess I was sort of expecting more from the people who supposedly had contact with (the real) God, divine inspiration and whatnot. But nooo... it seemed their religion was an excuse to behave badly in so many other ways (than the ones their religion happened to frown the most upon currently).

Good times!
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:01 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 17 posts ] 
Return to Introduce Yourself!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests