Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

My Reason for using Reason :

[ 12 posts ] 
My Reason for using Reason :
joshuaadelsNew MemberPosts: 1Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:03 pm Gender: Tree

Post My Reason for using Reason :

Everything else in unreasonable .
Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:21 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: My Reason for using Reason :

Hello and welcome.

Reason is only a tool.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:14 pm
MindHackPosts: 61Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:05 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

HI there,

does your reasonable reason include emotional reasons? When do emotional reasons reasonably become bad reasons to reason from?
Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 808Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

I find your intro reasonably reasonable.
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Is it reasonable to be unreasonable, and if so, for what reason?
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 am
archolmanUser avatarPosts: 5Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:15 amLocation: Near Huddersfield. Gender: Male

Reason is a very useful tool, especially with ReWire!
Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:19 pm
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Welcome Josh - I have my reasons for my reasoning.

I'll raise you a "Why are you here?"

Not meant to be facetious, mind you.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:31 am
Thomas DoubtingUser avatarPosts: 443Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 pmLocation: 6th Circle of Hell Gender: Tree

can something be too reasonable to be reasonable?
ORLY? Not buying that, try again.
Want to convert me? Give me your best shot!
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:51 pm
CommonEnlightenmentUser avatarPosts: 649Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 amLocation: Plato Crater Gender: Time Lord

Depends on how you define reasonable, I suppose........
There is still light in the 'Earthly' darkness. Finding light in the darkness can be more satisfying than merely seeing the glaring light of our sun. It gives us a better understanding of light and a deeper understanding of our universe.
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:56 pm
Thomas DoubtingUser avatarPosts: 443Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 pmLocation: 6th Circle of Hell Gender: Tree

CommonEnlightenment wrote:Depends on how you define reasonable, I suppose........

don't dance around the bush :mrgreen:
a simple yes or no + reasonable reason why yes or no
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:02 pm
CommonEnlightenmentUser avatarPosts: 649Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 amLocation: Plato Crater Gender: Time Lord

I'm not beating around the bush.

One can take reasonable steps toward an unreasonable goal.

One can take unreasonable steps toward a reasonable goal.

One can take reasonable steps toward a reasonable goal.

One can take unreasonable steps toward a unreasonable goal.

When I state that it depends on on how you define reasonable, are you talking about the steps or the goals? What one group of people defines as reasonable another group (in the same society) could define as unreasonable.

So how are you defining reasonable? In terms of steps, in terms of goals, or in terms of the overall picture?

Are you using an utilitarian form of reasonable? A pragmatic form of reasonable? An idealistic form of reasonable? How do you determine what is reasonable and what is unreasonable?
There is still light in the 'Earthly' darkness. Finding light in the darkness can be more satisfying than merely seeing the glaring light of our sun. It gives us a better understanding of light and a deeper understanding of our universe.
Last edited by CommonEnlightenment on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:50 pm

CommonEnlightenment wrote:I'm not beating around the bush.

One can take reasonable steps toward an unreasonable goal.

One can take unreasonable steps toward a reasonable goal.

One can take reasonable steps toward a reasonable goal.

One can take unreasonable steps toward a unreasonable goal.

When I state that it depends on on how you define reasonable, are you talking about the steps or the goals? What one group of people defines as reasonable another group (in the same society) could define as unreasonable.

So how are you defining reasonable? In terms of steps, in terms of goals, or in terms of the overall picture?

Are you using an utilitarian form of reasonable? A pragmatic form of reasonable? An idealistic form of reasonable? How do you determine what is reasonable and what is unreasonable?

you actually demonstrated it perfectly now, you were being way too reasonable to be reasonable..
one can only be too reasonable to be reasonable if one uses reason to scrutinize the unreasonable.. such as my stupid question :mrgreen:
Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:11 pm
 [ 12 posts ] 
Return to Introduce Yourself!