Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

New Here

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 2
 [ 30 posts ] 
New Here
Author Message
unhealthytruthseekerUser avatarPosts: 41Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post New Here

Hello, I am, as you can surely read, "unhealthytruthseeker," a handle which I use everywhere on the internet. It refers my desire to possess truth even if possessing such truth would be mentally unhealthy.

About me:

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in physics and mathematics, and I'm going to graduate school in the spring in order to take up physics. My eventual goal is to work in the area of theoretical physics, and my current interests span abstract algebra and it's physical applications, interpretations/implications of quantum theory, extensions to the standard model, cosmology, and several other things. I'm also interested in most areas of pure mathematics and several important areas of philosophical discourse. I may never know everything, but I can sure as hell try.

Religiously speaking, I'm a full-on metaphysical naturalist. Further, I verge on strong atheism. While I acknowledge that you technically cannot absolutely, totally disprove god, I also recognize that one cannot absolutely, totally prove ANYTHING outside of so-called "analytic" truths like mathematics and formal logic. I think it rather strange that we're perfectly willing to say that we know we have computers and we know that we're on the internet without absolute, total proof of the matter, but we're incapable of bringing ourselves to say that, to the extent that anything non-analytic can be known at all, we can know whether or not god exists. I don't understand the epistemological inconsistency. I also reject the classical, but incorrect myth that one cannot prove a negative. There are many negatives which can be proven. I can prove that there are no two integers a and b such that a/b is the square root of two, for example.

Nonetheless, I don't want to ramble too much. That's just a little bit about who I am and what i do.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1186Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: New Here

Hello :)

Just a word of warning, don't accept cake from strangers...
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:12 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2565Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: New Here

Hi, I'm Gnug215, and welcome to the boards, unhealthytruthseeker.

So... now that we aren't strangers, would you like some cake? We have loads in our chatroom. No, really!
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:41 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Post Re: New Here

Hi, and welcome. It would seem our points of view are somewhat aligned.

I disagree on proof a negative. I'd suggest the saying is simply employed too broadly, that it needs to be given constraints. In particular, constrain it to existence postulates pertainining to objects or phenomena with a physical manifestation.

Also, free cake in chat.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:12 pm
unhealthytruthseekerUser avatarPosts: 41Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post Re: New Here

Gnug215 wrote:Hi, I'm Gnug215, and welcome to the boards, unhealthytruthseeker.

So... now that we aren't strangers, would you like some cake? We have loads in our chatroom. No, really!


What's in this cake? Is it some kind of Jim Jones flavor aid shit? Or is it a hallucinogenic drug or something? Have I just joined a cult? ;)
Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 808Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: New Here

I'm going to like you, it seems.

Welcome to the forums.
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm
unhealthytruthseekerUser avatarPosts: 41Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post Re: New Here

Squawk wrote:Hi, and welcome. It would seem our points of view are somewhat aligned.

I disagree on proof a negative. I'd suggest the saying is simply employed too broadly, that it needs to be given constraints. In particular, constrain it to existence postulates pertainining to objects or phenomena with a physical manifestation.

Also, free cake in chat.


Well, I would make the distinction between "falsifiable in principle" and "falsifiable in practice." Most positive existence claims are falsifiable in principle, but unfalsifiable in practice. If the existence of something were to have ANY effect on the universe at all, then the complete absence of that effect would function as strong evidence against that thing's existence. Consider the lack of geologic markers for a world flood that WOULD be there if such a thing occurred.

Of course, except for ludicrous notions that have no effect on anything at all, every positive existential claim has some marker that would necessarily be there if the thing exists. The only reason why such things are often unfalsifiable in practice is because we can't check the whole universe for the absence of these marks. Thus, specific claims like a global flood happening here are falsifiable in practice, whereas claims like unicorns existing somewhere in the universe are unfalsifiable in principle, but not in practice.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:31 pm
unhealthytruthseekerUser avatarPosts: 41Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post Re: New Here

CosmicJoghurt wrote:I'm going to like you, it seems.


They all think that at first.

By the way, I have a little Youtube account with a few poorly-done videos on various subjects. However, I've learned that I'm not a good video person, and that I make my best cases in a textual medium.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Post Re: New Here

Pretty much agree entirely. Absense of evidence may not be, in a strict sense, evidence of absense, but the nature of the evidence looked for, and not found, leads extremely strongly to conclusions of absense.

For reference, my position is similar to that of your own, leanings to what may be called (to my dislike) strong atheism. I'll state I have no belief in a deity, then go further and proclaim that no deities exist. Atheist, anti-theism (not sure about anti-theist, some strange conotations there) etc. I dislike notions of an atheist movement, I prefer to think of a rational movement, but sadly the two do not always intersect.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:09 pm
unhealthytruthseekerUser avatarPosts: 41Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post Re: New Here

Squawk wrote:Pretty much agree entirely. Absense of evidence may not be, in a strict sense, evidence of absense, but the nature of the evidence looked for, and not found, leads extremely strongly to conclusions of absense.

For reference, my position is similar to that of your own, leanings to what may be called (to my dislike) strong atheism. I'll state I have no belief in a deity, then go further and proclaim that no deities exist. Atheist, anti-theism (not sure about anti-theist, some strange conotations there) etc. I dislike notions of an atheist movement, I prefer to think of a rational movement, but sadly the two do not always intersect.


I prefer to call myself a metaphysical naturalist, as it makes more sense to define myself by what I am than by what I am not.

I would also point out that "absolute proof" and "absolute disproof" are terms that only belong in a math class. Notions of knowledge and proof in science are coherent, but they aren't tautologies.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:16 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Post Re: New Here

Ok are you me reincarnate? (and am I dead to make that possible?)
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:39 pm
unhealthytruthseekerUser avatarPosts: 41Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post Re: New Here

Squawk wrote:Ok are you me reincarnate? (and am I dead to make that possible?)


Maybe your another universe's version of me? Or maybe we just have similar ideas. Nah, that's too easy!
Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:43 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Post Re: New Here

unhealthytruthseeker wrote:
Squawk wrote:Ok are you me reincarnate? (and am I dead to make that possible?)

Or maybe we just have similar ideas. Nah, that's too easy!


Couldn't possibly be that. Much more likely to be a government conspiracy of some kind. /me gets out the tinfoil hat.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:51 pm
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

Post Re: New Here

Welcome, SquawClone :)

There is chat in the cake.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:29 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: New Here

Proof

Image
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 pm
WWW
CommonEnlightenmentUser avatarPosts: 649Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 amLocation: Plato Crater Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: New Here

Hrm.....

With an Army like that, I wonder what the temperature on Mars is right about now.

Perhaps I should think about installing a proximity detector to that ship?
There is still light in the 'Earthly' darkness. Finding light in the darkness can be more satisfying than merely seeing the glaring light of our sun. It gives us a better understanding of light and a deeper understanding of our universe.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:35 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Post Re: New Here

You people have far too much time on your hands, bloody funny though.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:53 pm
unhealthytruthseekerUser avatarPosts: 41Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post Re: New Here

Squawk wrote:You people have far too much time on your hands, bloody funny though.


I just graduated and I'm not getting into graduate school until the spring semester. Of course I have way too much time on my hands. I'm positively drowning in it. I've been able to use that time lately to hit the books harder than ever.
Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: New Here

Squawk wrote:You people have far too much time on your hands, bloody funny though.


Damn straight!
...although you can tell where I got bored and just shift-dragged the parrot image across the ranks.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 am
WWW
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

Post Re: New Here

unhealthytruthseeker wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:Hi, I'm Gnug215, and welcome to the boards, unhealthytruthseeker.

So... now that we aren't strangers, would you like some cake? We have loads in our chatroom. No, really!


What's in this cake? Is it some kind of Jim Jones flavor aid shit? Or is it a hallucinogenic drug or something? Have I just joined a cult? ;)


Whaaa...? No such thing! No sir. *Quick, hide the coke and the birthday hats!* ...The cake is strictly real in a very literal sense. I promise. Welcome! :mrgreen:
a·the·ism: The absence of belief in god(s)

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 am
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 2
 [ 30 posts ] 
Return to Introduce Yourself!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests