Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Your suggestions for implementing sarcasm tags

Forum rules

Once an issue has been solved or a satisfactory conclusion has been achieved (by discussion or an administrator decision) threads will be locked to prevent them being bumped.

Do not expect that your suggestion will be implemented regardless of how good you think your idea it is. There are many factors as to why something may be dismissed. The thread will have been locked for good reason, and your thread should serve as a reminder to others that the suggestion has already been made and implemented or dismissed.
 [ 44 posts ] 
Your suggestions for implementing sarcasm tags
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Your suggestions for implementing sarcasm tags

For real, though, a custom "Hover over" text-to-tag thing would be handy.

We could use it to insert images in a clever way and to quickly make evidences on-hand during discussions.

"No real evidence? What about this beautiful so-and-so?!" (Where Italicized is text that rumbles an image preview)
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:18 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:For real, though, a custom "Hover over" text-to-tag thing would be handy.

We could use it to insert images in a clever way and to quickly make evidences on-hand during discussions.

"No real evidence? What about this beautiful so-and-so?!" (Where Italicized is text that rumbles an image preview)

As far as I am aware the tool tip tag does not allow to embed images, just plain text.
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Even if it did, I don't think pop-up images suit the nature and style of the site.

Let's make the watchword graceful.

I do appreciate your input though, Hytegia. I don't mean to be discouraging.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

I had fun to play with your ideas and would like to share my code-snippet if s.o. likes to view or keep it. A default pop-up image could quickly be achived via cursor 'styling'.

However I like :mrgreen: apearing out of the no (in my example), I must say that I don't hover over all texts and rather keep the cursor out of the way. Also customizable tool-tips might be fun or elaborating, but they can't be quoted nor captured easily.

I think there's no way around some kind of obvious styling of predicted sarcasm if it should be marked as such.

<span class="sarca" style="color:purple;" onmouseover="this.style.color = 'red';" onmouseout="this.style.color = 'yellow';">implementing sarcasm tags</span> _._._
<span class="sarca" title=" ~ this is what it is ;-) ... and if you don't get me ~ stay safe where you are ~ ">minor sarcasm note</span> _._._
<span class="sarca" style="cursor:url(http://www.theleagueofreason.co.uk/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif), move;">HEAVY sarcasm issue</span>
Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Prolescum wrote:Even if it did, I don't think pop-up images suit the nature and style of the site.

Let's make the watchword graceful.

I do appreciate your input though, Hytegia. I don't mean to be discouraging.

It's alright. It's just an idea.

If you can find a way to convey sarcasm, just let me know. Until then I'll have to be injecting italicized text and using hyperbole to drag the point across.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:17 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3308Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

I know in the few times I have used sarcasm on this forum I always follow it with this :roll: as can be seen here. I do not think we need a sarcasm tag, because things like this exist already to get sarcasm across. Whether we have a sarcasm tag or not does not mean one will use it.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm
YIM WWW
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

That's totally not how I read that smiley...
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3308Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:That's totally not how I read that smiley...

How do you read it?
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm
YIM WWW

Usually as oh for fuck's sake [. . .] or words to that effect.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 pm

I've noticed a couple of usages of the sarcasm tag; y'all happy to use that? Shall I implement a tool tip one too/instead of?

Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 am
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Prolescum wrote:I've noticed a couple of usages of the sarcasm tag; y'all happy to use that? Shall I implement a tool tip one too/instead of?

Oh how does it work?
The example you've given above was only a 'prototype'. And on another thread (quite a while ago) some managed to create a tool tip, but I couldn't resolve how he managed to achive it.

I've searched this thread several times, the edit-menu, your usage of bb-code but I can't find any sarcasm-tags.
Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 am

Vivre wrote:
Prolescum wrote:I've noticed a couple of usages of the sarcasm tag; y'all happy to use that? Shall I implement a tool tip one too/instead of?

Oh how does it work?
The example you've given above was only a 'prototype'. And on another thread (quite a while ago) some managed to create a tool tip, but I couldn't resolve how he managed to achive it.

I've searched this thread several times, the edit-menu, your usage of bb-code but I can't find any sarcasm-tags.

While it's true that it was an example and isn't a visible selection when posting (or in the code guide), the tag itself is still active:

This isn't sarcasm

[sarcasm]This isn't sarcasm[/sarcasm]

The tool tip tag doesn't exist yet; the sarcasm tag has a tool tip :)

Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 am

Ah ~ a colorful fixed feature :-)

yes please - 1+ for custom tooltips
Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 am
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

yeah, custom tool tips. Let's give it a try and see how it goes.
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am

Okies. Custom tooltips are now available via the posting screen or using the code

The soft mystery phrase of this year's Doctor Who is spoken by [tooltip=Run you clever boy, and remember...]Clara Oswin Oswald[/tooltip]

The soft mystery phrase of this year's Doctor Who is spoken by Clara Oswin Oswald.

Anything other than simple text will fail to render. I'll add this and sarcasm to the BB Code guide.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 pm

There_s no business like show ... :mrgreen:

just testing ... but I found you can't use any special letter in either texts that needs 'strg' like: ' " ! ? ° and also ^ ( ) ; : /
tag-nesting is possible if they're outside of the tooltip

and inside of huibuh
Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 pm

[tooltip=Awsome]Great[/tooltip] Although it doesn't allow for punctuation [tooltip=No&]God[/tooltip] [tooltip=No?]damn[/tooltip] [tooltip=No!]punctuation[/tooltip]
It does still require some thinkering
Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Master_Ghost_Knight wrote:[tooltip=Awsome]Great[/tooltip] Although it doesn't allow for punctuation [tooltip=No&]God[/tooltip] [tooltip=No?]damn[/tooltip] [tooltip=No!]punctuation[/tooltip]
It does still require some thinkering

to make it Great add additional tags embracing the tooltip

[color=#FFFF00][tooltip=Awsome]Great[/tooltip][/color]
Sat May 11, 2013 12:05 am

Hmm. Gonna have to have a think about this. There are very few (if any) use cases for using most special characters in a tooltip. Exclamation and question marks, okay. Ampersand... not so much.

Could you please let me know the characters you think we might use (or want to use) in a tooltip and a brief argument or example in their favour?

As Vivre says, nesting tooltip inside other tags is fine. Consider tooltip a top-level tag, like img. Got to keep some form of control over what's put in it ;)

Also Vivre, UK/US keyboards use the shift modifier key for those, not strg (which if I understand correctly is the equivalent of ctrl whose modifying behaviour isn't applicable as its function is OS-level). In any case, I'm not sure how that'll affect this. Feel free to educate me :D

Sat May 11, 2013 9:52 am

And if you try to do image, it will get busted!

I don't know how you are doing it, but here is my suggestion:

1. Check if the number of characters inside the tool-tip is bellow a certain number, let's say a 80 character limit. If not, prevent post.
2. Check if the number of new line feeds is below a certain limit, Lest say 8. If not, prevent post. Note. Each line can hold 40 characters.
3. Check if character assortment is between (#32 and #126) or (#192 and #255) or new line (don't know if it is implemented with #10 or #13). If not, remove characters.
4. Covert forbidden characters (#34; #38; #39; #60; #62) into their respective substitution code (&#34; &#38; &#39; &#60; &#62;)
5. Store that text as the content that goes into the title="" item. Note you should have a special html tag (whit the respective CSS styling code) to indicate that the text inside is supposed to have a tooltip. (I believe you already got that)
ex.
<tip title="ToolTip Text">Stuff that has the tool tip </tip>
6. Start processing the text that shall receive the tip. Use the constructor as usual, with the exception that now there can not be a "[tooltip" before a [/tooltip]. If that happens prevent posting. (no tool tip nesting rule).
7. Increment the tool tip counter, a text should not have more than a certain limit of tooltips. Let's say 20. If not prevent post.
8. Generate the code:
ex. <tip title="ToolTip Text">Stuff that has the tool tip </tip>
Last edited by Master_Ghost_Knight on Sat May 11, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sat May 11, 2013 10:52 am
PreviousNext
 [ 44 posts ] 
Return to Issues & Suggestions