Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Your suggestions for implementing sarcasm tags

Forum rules

Once an issue has been solved or a satisfactory conclusion has been achieved (by discussion or an administrator decision) threads will be locked to prevent them being bumped.

Do not expect that your suggestion will be implemented regardless of how good you think your idea it is. There are many factors as to why something may be dismissed. The thread will have been locked for good reason, and your thread should serve as a reminder to others that the suggestion has already been made and implemented or dismissed.
 [ 44 posts ] 
Your suggestions for implementing sarcasm tags
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4998Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Your suggestions for implementing sarcasm tags

Sometimes, sarcasm is difficult to express in text.

Can you think of a way we could make it clear visually here at LoR?

Only one rule for suggestions: no comic sans.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:50 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1176Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Your suggestions for implementing sarcasm tags

Actually, with all the sarcasm that is used on this forum I wonder if it wasn't easier to introduce tags for content that isn't sarcasm.

Additionally, creationists that come to this site are confused, to say the least, with using quote tags. Adding another tag will only make them more confused.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4998Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Ha!

I'm sure I posted a guide to tags somewhere...

Edit: It's only a post. Will update, put in a new thread, and sticky. You never know, it mIght help :lol:
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:11 am
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4277Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Which upstanding and ridiculously good looking guy inspired this thread, I wonder?
Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 am

This one?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 am
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Perhaps some type of toast yellow image of a quotation marks that when you hover around it pops up the help tip Sarcasm
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:53 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2542Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

The color of sarcasm is purple.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Both of those sound great, but I thought perhaps something subtle enough to not distract (and fit the rest of the site), but still noticable...

Any good?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I guess not... :(

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:01 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Can't we have a sarcmark (plus hovertext)?

SarcMark

It could be a smilie but instead of it saying "confused" it could say "this is sarcasm".
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:25 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1176Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

There's an article on wiki about it.

They propose ⸮ or [!] or perhaps </sarcasm> or even #sarcasm to denote sarcasm.

Those all can be used without any modifications to the forums software.

Will we have a sarcasm police to enforce the rules of sarcasm?</sarcasm>
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:36 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Come to think of it, don't know if a more general concept of help tip tags might be a good idea.
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:53 pm

@Inferno:

Yes we could, but it isn't very subtle. Also, their mark isn't a very good or representative one.

@WarK:

People can already use those examples, and do. The point of this, for me, is to alert those who may be unsure, not to sign-post it. Sarcasm isn't funny if it's too obvious or pointed out directly.

@MGK:

Care to elaborate?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Prolescum wrote:Care to elaborate?

Well the sarcasm tag the way it is implemented now is having a color scheme and a help tip, well color scheme we already have, if we had a help tip tag, we could do more stuff other than just sarcasm. Of course we should make an effort not only to disable the usual html injection but also to limit the amount of characters you can put on a help tip or else people would grief the fuck out of it.
Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:41 am

Master_Ghost_Knight wrote:
Prolescum wrote:Care to elaborate?

Well the sarcasm tag the way it is implemented now is having a color scheme and a help tip, well color scheme we already have, if we had a help tip tag, we could do more stuff other than just sarcasm. Of course we should make an effort not only to disable the usual html injection but also to limit the amount of characters you can put on a help tip or else people would grief the fuck out of it.

Ah, now I get you. Like the old school <acronym>. I like that.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

This is absolutely beneficial to the site. I can't think of any possible way to convey sarcasm through text alone.

But if we're going to use a damned hover-based image, use this gem (resized, of course):

Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:22 am

Heh.

No.

MGK is on the right track, I'd say. A multi-purpose tooltip tag like

[addon="extra text here"]normal text[/addon]

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:24 pm

I don't think the tag "addon" is an intuitive name for me to know what it is when I see it.
If this is to be implemented there is something bothering me now, how would we know that there is a tool tip tag to be seen? The last thing we would want to start is a trend of hidden text, or secret jokes... well come to think of it....
Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Master_Ghost_Knight wrote:If this is to be implemented there is something bothering me now, how would we know that there is a tool tip tag to be seen? The last thing we would want to start is a trend of hidden text, or secret jokes... well come to think of it....

On the last forum I was, that was half the fun. You could have text the same colour as the background, so you'd always highlight the texts of people to see if they said something. :P
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm

It was just an illustrative example, MGK...

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 pm
Next
 [ 44 posts ] 
Return to Issues & Suggestions