Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Having a bit of a problem logging in to chat

Forum rules

Once an issue has been solved or a satisfactory conclusion has been achieved (by discussion or an administrator decision) threads will be locked to prevent them being bumped.

Do not expect that your suggestion will be implemented regardless of how good you think your idea it is. There are many factors as to why something may be dismissed. The thread will have been locked for good reason, and your thread should serve as a reminder to others that the suggestion has already been made and implemented or dismissed.
 [ 8 posts ] 
Having a bit of a problem logging in to chat
*SD*User avatarPosts: 128Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Post Having a bit of a problem logging in to chat

Tonight, I tried to log in to chat for the second time since I discovered this site. The first time was the other day and I had to change nicks a few times to get in because I was getting "Banned" message. Eventually got in so thought no more about it, chatted with WarK for a bit and a few others. Tonight I had the same thing, using the nick that successfully logged me in the other day, however I got the "Banned" message with that nick too so had to change it to something completely different again. Any ideas, chaps?
Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:49 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4278Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Having a bit of a problem logging in to chat

This happened to me too. I just closed down mibbit and reopened it until it worked.
Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1178Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Yes. Unfortunately, one of the address that mibbit use is banned. You can keep trying and hope that mibbit will decide to use a different address to connect from.

Or you could use a proper IRC client. The channel is #lor it's on irc.oftc.net
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1178Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

An update. Turns out mibbit will stay banned from oftc.net, where our IRC channel for chat is.

If you want to use chat in a webrowser you can use webchat provided by oftc.net themselves:

https://webchat.oftc.net/

Enter your nick and the name of the channel: #lor

or you could use an IRC client and use the following info to connect:

server: irc.oftc.net
channel: #lor

you may use secure connections on port 6697

As for what IRC program to use, I've used XChat for a while. It's free for Linux.
You can also try Chatzilla as an addon to Firefox.
Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 pm
*SD*User avatarPosts: 128Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 amLocation: Wales, UK Gender: Male

Thanks WarK - very hepful - cheers dude :)
Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

I've turned off the Mibbit client for the time being. If anyone has an alternative, I'd happily look at it.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sat May 04, 2013 11:15 am

New webchat interface will by up on Monday, thanx to our webhamster extraordinaire Prolescum

The actual chat (i.e. the IRC channel we use for it) stays the way it's always been and you can connect using information I posted earlier.
Sat May 04, 2013 11:40 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Er... bit late, but, well, you know.

I set up a new client a few days ago. No changes to usage.

Any problems (or owt else), let me know. Regularly.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 am
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to Issues & Suggestions