Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Board down

Forum rules

Once an issue has been solved or a satisfactory conclusion has been achieved (by discussion or an administrator decision) threads will be locked to prevent them being bumped.

Do not expect that your suggestion will be implemented regardless of how good you think your idea it is. There are many factors as to why something may be dismissed. The thread will have been locked for good reason, and your thread should serve as a reminder to others that the suggestion has already been made and implemented or dismissed.
 [ 17 posts ] 
Board down
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Board down

In the last couple of days, the board has been down quite often. Any problems or was it scheduled?
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:39 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Board down

Two more gaps of 3h (total) today. Problem on my end?
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:29 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1186Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

I only get the "This board is currently disabled" message at the top of the forum every now and then but it seems to be working.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:32 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

It's been down most of the day for me, with the message that WarK mentioned.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:40 pm
CollecemallPosts: 348Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

Same issue. Was down for at least a couple hours.
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Apologies for the late response. I'll check what's going on this afternoon and report back.

Sent from my Commodore 64
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:36 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

I've found nothing in the logs, either from the site or the host, but I've sent them an email just in case. I've updated our version of PHP (the forum software is already up to date) on the off-chance that there might be an issue there.

There's always a chance that you might have to hard-refresh your browser's cache with an F5 (or CTRL+F5 maybe?) if you experience it over a longer period.

Keep me posted ;)
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:29 pm

I've only had it in the past couple of days, never before that. Twice today, a few times each day over the weekend.

I always refresh with the refresh-sign in Firefox, does that make a difference? I'll try F5 next time.
Basically I try the site, "there's currently no board" message pops up, I wait for 30min or so and try again.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1186Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Inferno wrote:I've only had it in the past couple of days, never before that. Twice today, a few times each day over the weekend.

I always refresh with the refresh-sign in Firefox, does that make a difference? I'll try F5 next time.
Basically I try the site, "there's currently no board" message pops up, I wait for 30min or so and try again.

So this seems different from what I saw. I saw the message "This board is currently disabled" but I still could see all the forums, topics and posts and I think I made my earlier post in this topic while the message was still up. Maybe we saw different things because we are in different user groups?

F5 in Firefox is the same as the reload icon. Ctrl+F5 does refresh and also skips browser's cache so it fetches all the files like images straight from the server and not from browser's cache.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Interesting, that's a message I've never seen.
Also yesterday, I got the message that the server was down, another entirely new experience for me. Was that due to the PHP update?

However, I noticed one other site not working for me yesterday, so I'm beginning to think it's something on my end?!

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:00 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Inferno wrote:Interesting, that's a message I've never seen.
Also yesterday, I got the message that the server was down, another entirely new experience for me. Was that due to the PHP update?

However, I noticed one other site not working for me yesterday, so I'm beginning to think it's something on my end?!

Then it is my end too, because yesterday I got a server timeout, plus the message the board was down check back in a few minutes. My cache is deleted when I close my browser and after I do that I still get the message. So, not sure what is up.
Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:57 am

The board was down when I was doing updates (mods and above could still access the site), but there's been nothing else as far as I can tell. I've increased the load to see if that solves the issue. Will check back this eve.

Sent from my Commodore 64

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks Prole!
Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:27 am

Thank you kind Sir!

Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:46 pm

Haven't had a single second of downtime in the last two days, so either you made it work or my internet started working again. Whichever it is, it's all good now.

Once again many thanks.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:02 pm

I thought I'd posted a response to this last week... Sorry, yeah. All seems well.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:54 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2956Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Prolescum wrote:I thought I'd posted a response to this last week... Sorry, yeah. All seems well.

Or maybe you did post a response last week - which has been lost...

Are you sure all is well?? ;)

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 pm
 [ 17 posts ] 
Return to Issues & Suggestions