Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

**STICKY** How Do I?

Forum rules

Once an issue has been solved or a satisfactory conclusion has been achieved (by discussion or an administrator decision) threads will be locked to prevent them being bumped.

Do not expect that your suggestion will be implemented regardless of how good you think your idea it is. There are many factors as to why something may be dismissed. The thread will have been locked for good reason, and your thread should serve as a reminder to others that the suggestion has already been made and implemented or dismissed.
 [ 39 posts ] 
**STICKY** How Do I?
MithcorielPosts: 86Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Post Re: **STICKY** How Do I?

What if there is already a thread on the subject I want to post on, but it's like a year old?
Do you guys prefer "necroposting" (bumping that old thread) or starting a new one?
(Personally, I think posting in the old thread makes more sense)
Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:56 am
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3508Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

Mithcoriel wrote:What if there is already a thread on the subject I want to post on, but it's like a year old?
Do you guys prefer "necroposting" (bumping that old thread) or starting a new one?
(Personally, I think posting in the old thread makes more sense)

For me it depends... if it's an inane comment I tend to complain about necroing... If it's an on topic natural progression of what has already been said then definitely in the thread... If it's a sizable and stand-alone topic starting post then might as well start a new topic. But that's just what I do.
Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:36 am
DeanBlog EditorUser avatarPosts: 593Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 pmLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Pinecone

Re: **STICKY** How Do I?

Hi! I'm a newbie around here:

How do I create my own blog topic and discussion with its own subject title? I'm referring to the kind of blogs on the front page of the website... I'd quite like to be a blogger. Not so keen on the Chat area though, never seen it before.... :lol:
~~L.N

“You ask ‘Is there any Florida?’ I’m inclined to answer ‘No.’ There is no Florida, there’s only this, this England, which nauseates my soul.” – DH Lawrence

انقلابی
About Us
Last edited by Dean on Sun May 22, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sun May 22, 2011 3:17 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Blog posts can only be made by "Contributors" (like RabbitPirate and theyounghistorian)and others who have been given powers to post there (like Th1swasatriumph, Aught3 or Squawk).

CosmicSpork (the Webhamster) and AndromedasWake can give people power in that way.

I'll be honest though. Considering you have but 2 posts to your name and no one knows you past your introductory post, I would be reluctant to give out such powers just like that if I was CosmicSpork. Hang around, get to know us, visit the chat if you like (although I confess myself that I don't go on the chat particularly frequently) etc.

If you want to set up a blog of your own, [url]blogger.com[/url] is free and a good way to get started. A fair few people (including myself) here promote their Blogs via their signatures. If it's a good blog then there's a fair chance that it will get a fair number of hits.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sun May 22, 2011 3:41 pm
DeanBlog EditorUser avatarPosts: 593Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 pmLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Pinecone

(This is a response to the above post);
nasher168 wrote:Blog posts can only be made by "Contributors" (like RabbitPirate and theyounghistorian)and others who have been given powers to post there (like Th1swasatriumph, Aught3 or Squawk).

[. . .]

I'll be honest though. Considering you have but 2 posts to your name and no one knows you past your introductory post, I would be reluctant to give out such powers just like that if I was CosmicSpork. [. . .] etc.[. . .]

O.K. ;-)
Just wondering about it is all! :) Thank you for the help. :) Hope to see you lot around soon. Oh by the way, I must say, Blog and the rest of the Global Forums are fantastic, but.... to tell you the truth, "Chat" isn't exactly my thing either...I rarely enter into it. At the risk of sounding like a snob, it's much too informal and simplistic for my liking...
~~L.N

“You ask ‘Is there any Florida?’ I’m inclined to answer ‘No.’ There is no Florida, there’s only this, this England, which nauseates my soul.” – DH Lawrence

انقلابی
About Us
Last edited by Dean on Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sun May 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Also, how to use bullet point lists? When I try to "insert" a list, it just seems to increase the indent of whatever I have written,
Can you help me out here?
~~L.N

انقلابی
About Us
Mon May 23, 2011 7:35 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Don't think bullet points are possible, but if you type [li st=1] or [li st=a] (without the spaces in "list") then this is the result:

1. test
  2. test
  3. test
  1. test
  2. test
  3. test
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 am
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

Dean wrote:Also, how to use bullet point lists? When I try to "insert" a list, it just seems to increase the indent of whatever I have written,
Can you help me out here?

Use [*] inside your list:

[lis t]
[*] item 1
[*] item 2
[/list]

becomes
  • item 1
  • item 2
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

There really should be a post that lays out all the BBcode available on this forum.

So...

Italics

[i]Italics[/i]

Bold type

[b]Bold type[/b]

Strikethrough

[s]strikethrough[/s]

Text size

[size=150]Text size[/size]

You can set the size by changing the number.

Quoting

The other Guy wrote:Quoting

The other guy wrote:Quoting

[quote]Quoting[/quote]

[quote="The other Guy"]Quoting[/quote]

[quote="[url=http://website.crom]The other guy[/url]"]Quoting[/quote]

Centre justify

[centre]Centre justify[/centre]

[center]Center justify[/center]

[ShowMore]Hide text[/ShowMore]

[ShowMore=Hidden]Hide text[/ShowMore]

Links

[url=http://website.crom]Links[/url]

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01122/miniature-horse_1122954i.jpg[/img]

[youtube]6XQtd9cTGFM[/youtube]

Copy/Paste the end of the url - e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XQtd9cTGFM = 6XQtd9cTGFM - between the tags

Indented bullet points
    Indented bullet points
    Indented bullet points

• Indented bullet points
  • Indented bullet points
  • Indented bullet points

List of indented bullet points:
  1. Indented bullet points
  2. Indented bullet points
  3. Indented bullet points

[list]Indented bullet points
Indented bullet points
Indented bullet points[/list]

[list][*]Indented bullet points
[*]Indented bullet points
[*]Indented bullet points[/list]

[list=1][b]List of indented bullet points:[/b]
[*]Indented bullet points[/list]

Do not render code, Mr browser

[code]Do not render code, Mr browser[/code]

Tags must be nested within each other for pick'n'mix like so:

[quote][centre][img]http://www.vincentchow.net/images/tallest-horse.jpg[/img][/centre][/quote]

That's about all I can remember.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon May 23, 2011 12:50 pm

@Prolescum
Prolescum wrote:[. . .]

O.k. Thank you! :)
~~L.N

انقلابی
About Us
Tue May 24, 2011 7:37 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Blogging for a newbie is entirely possible, but you'd have to submit a couple of trial blog posts. It would also require spork to set it up, and he's pretty busy elsewhere right now so can't promise on time scales. If you fancy a go get one drafted and pm it to me and I'll see what we can do. I really ought to write one myself
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Squawk wrote:Blogging for a newbie is entirely possible, but you'd have to submit a couple of trial blog posts. It would also require spork to set it up, and he's pretty busy elsewhere right now so can't promise on time scales. If you fancy a go get one drafted and pm it to me and I'll see what we can do. I really ought to write one myself

What is a "trial blog post"?
    And is there a certain criteria for what you can/not post in a blog? Apart from the obvious, of course, such as things that are in violation of the site rules...?

To be honest, I was planning to post a blog and hence begin a discussion on NOMA (Non Overlapping Magisteria). If that's cool with you, then I'll send you a PM with it and I guess you'll take it from there. Plus please see: viewtopic.php?p=114226#p114226 - - :)
As a matter of fact, I've already got a draft sorted out, and I've saved it in a Word document for now. :D Thanks for the heads up, Squawk. :)
~~L.N

انقلابی
About Us
Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm
Foxcanine1User avatarPosts: 17Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:40 pm Gender: Male

How do I attach a signature? I already tried looking at FAQ and when I try it tells me

"The field "Signature" is too long, a maximum of 0 characters is allowed."

Also, How do you send PM's. I see no icon for send message or send PM or anything like it?
Fear is the greatest enemy of liberty, and as such, is the greatest enemy to reason.
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:40 pm
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

Foxcanine1 wrote:How do I attach a signature? I already tried looking at FAQ and when I try it tells me

"The field "Signature" is too long, a maximum of 0 characters is allowed."

Also, How do you send PM's. I see no icon for send message or send PM or anything like it?

Hi there, in an attempt to stop spam bots there is a restriction on these things until your first post has been approved. Since you have a post approved now, you should be able to do those things :)
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:30 am
theyounghistorian77ContributorUser avatarPosts: 726Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 amLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Male

How do i embed tweets, if it is at all possible?
"Politics is weird, and creepy, and now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality." - Shep Smith
Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

theyounghistorian77 wrote:How do i embed tweets, if it is at all possible?

Just added it for you, here you go:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/scottgu/status/281488783881420800[/tweet]
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:16 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1163Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 pm
MugnutsBloggerUser avatarPosts: 383Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 am Gender: Male

Can I be directed to some tips on the quote function...pls thnx
"In the end theologians are jealous of science, for they are aware that it has greater authority than do their own ways of finding “truth”: dogma, authority, and revelation. Science does find truth, faith does not. " - Jerry Coyne
Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:34 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Mugnuts wrote:Can I be directed to some tips on the quote function...pls thnx

Check here.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 am
Previous
 [ 39 posts ] 
Return to Issues & Suggestions