Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Thread Rating

Forum rules

Once an issue has been solved or a satisfactory conclusion has been achieved (by discussion or an administrator decision) threads will be locked to prevent them being bumped.

Do not expect that your suggestion will be implemented regardless of how good you think your idea it is. There are many factors as to why something may be dismissed. The thread will have been locked for good reason, and your thread should serve as a reminder to others that the suggestion has already been made and implemented or dismissed.
 [ 24 posts ] 
Thread Rating
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Thread Rating

50 posts sounds reasonable I think.
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:25 am
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

meh. I think any sort of rating system wouldnt be the best idea, as it assigns a qualitative value to something thats somewhat subjective. Some people might hate the content of the thread, and rate low, thus discouraging others from reading it when they would otherwise find it enjoyable. And the other way, too.

Maybe Im reading too much into it, overthinking a tad. I say just let the individual assign value to something, and encourage them to read the thread themselves without displaying stats that may or may not actually reflect the content itself, but the opinions of the posters. I personally go by how old a thread is plus how many replies it has generated. I may not post, but I will give it a read.

If you do, in fact, decide to add a thread rating system, perhaps a few stipulations? Like show who voted which way, how many people voted, and restrict voting to those who post, just to give a little more context to the figures themselves.
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:24 am
AndromedasWakeLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 598Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 pmLocation: Captain's Chair, League HQ Gender: Cake

Lallapalalable wrote:meh. I think any sort of rating system wouldnt be the best idea, as it assigns a qualitative value to something thats somewhat subjective. Some people might hate the content of the thread, and rate low, thus discouraging others from reading it when they would otherwise find it enjoyable. And the other way, too.

Maybe Im reading too much into it, overthinking a tad. I say just let the individual assign value to something, and encourage them to read the thread themselves without displaying stats that may or may not actually reflect the content itself, but the opinions of the posters. I personally go by how old a thread is plus how many replies it has generated. I may not post, but I will give it a read.

If you do, in fact, decide to add a thread rating system, perhaps a few stipulations? Like show who voted which way, how many people voted, and restrict voting to those who post, just to give a little more context to the figures themselves.

On your last point, about restricting rating to posters, I agree.

Regarding your general concern, I do think you are reading into it too much. I am a user on a couple of forums which do have thread rating systems, and they do not prevent me from reading threads. What they do however, is make particularly useful threads stand out, and if the thread has a high rating and a lot of views/posts, it helps to bring it to the attention of moderators. This in itself would be pretty useful for the I&S forum, because it would provide me with a way to instantly gauge the community's interest in a particular idea.

Thread rating also encourages users to post well thought-out OPs and have their ideas be the ones that generate the most discussion.

There is one other somewhat secretive reason I think thread rating would be good, all will be revealed soon! ;)
ImageImage
(( "We are 'star-stuff'. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan | Music! | Twitter - [ AndromedasWake | SiriusStargazer ] ))
Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:57 pm
JustBusiness17User avatarPosts: 1484Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 amLocation: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe, Etc etc... Gender: Male

AndromedasWake wrote:There is one other somewhat secretive reason I think thread rating would be good, all will be revealed soon! ;)

What? Are the little folks going to cross the velvet rope to rub elbows with the front page social class? Assuming that's what you're giddy about, I'm not sure why you need a rating system to decide what meets LoR publishing standards - Especially considering the concerns that were brought up about featuring member videos on the LoR YouTube channel...
ttyl
Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:56 am
Previous
 [ 24 posts ] 
Return to Issues & Suggestions