Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Hide Spoiler

Forum rules

Once an issue has been solved or a satisfactory conclusion has been achieved (by discussion or an administrator decision) threads will be locked to prevent them being bumped.

Do not expect that your suggestion will be implemented regardless of how good you think your idea it is. There are many factors as to why something may be dismissed. The thread will have been locked for good reason, and your thread should serve as a reminder to others that the suggestion has already been made and implemented or dismissed.
 [ 14 posts ] 
Hide Spoiler
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Post Hide Spoiler

I've seen a lot of forums that have a 'hide spoiler' function that conceals anything placed within it by the poster until clicked upon. This is usually used to conceal lengthy walls of text, but has several other applications of course.

I mention it mainly because of this wonderful thread:
http://forums.leagueofreason.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5426

Getting through all those pictures to a new post is a rather tedious experience.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:37 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: Hide Spoiler

I'm inclined to agree, personally. Even if it's named something else, it'll definitely improve some threads.
Click here for occult text would be quite funny.

There are hacks floating about the place.

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/8193
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:51 pm
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

Here's my answer...

[showmore]Ta da![/showmore]

I've also added the ShowMoreMsg tag... which allows you to add your own message to the link like:

[showmoremsg msg=I like cake, click here to have some][img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mN8dEHMpW_asEM:http://www.juvela.co.uk/recipes/images/victoria_cake.jpg&t=1[/img][/showmoremsg]

No hacks required ;)
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

That's mighty sweet.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:24 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

That's the perfect solution.

Now, who do I have to pay around here to get a correction to a lime-flavored typo? Do I make a lump-sum payment, or a monthly deposit?
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Very much obliged, my glorious webrodent friend.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:46 pm
FaithlessThinkerUser avatarPosts: 618Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Cake

Thanks for not locking this just yet.

I love the new ShowMore and ShowMoreMsg, except for one small thing. Is it possible to hide the spoiler once it is seen?
It was my honest attempt to find a more pure form of God that made me realise that there was none.”
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Previously known as anon1986sing. You can call me FT. :)
Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:45 am
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

anon1986sing wrote:I love the new ShowMore and ShowMoreMsg, except for one small thing. Is it possible to hide the spoiler once it is seen?

Done :)
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 pm
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:27 am
FaithlessThinkerUser avatarPosts: 618Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Cake

CosmicSpork wrote:Done :)
It was my honest attempt to find a more pure form of God that made me realise that there was none.”
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:01 pm
Jotto999User avatarPosts: 572Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 amLocation: Ontario, Canada Gender: Male

Pretty awesome CosmicSpork!
With poor mental and physical health, happiness is like smoke that you reach for with bare hands. With great health, happiness is just pouring into your lap all the time.
Last edited by Jotto999 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:33 pm
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Is it possible to make it that when you click the link within the show me, it would appear as a true link like of that bellow, of which if one clicks it opens?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-patterns

Unsupport unthink.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm

lrkun wrote:Is it possible to make it that when you click the link within the show me, it would appear as a true link like of that bellow, of which if one clicks it opens?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-patterns

You can use the URL tag as a quickfix:
until or unless Spork can fix this.
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Excuse me for pulling this up. And for the many "codes".

I would be delighted to see a ShowMoreMsg button^ in the buttons bar of the edit page. I wanted to use this feature and forgot how to do it. I tried doing these:
[ShowMore="Title"]Content[/ShowMore]
[ShowMore=Title]Content[/ShowMore]
[ShowMore='Title']Content[/ShowMore]

and realized all of them didn't work.* I had to search for this topic just to remind myself that it is:
[ShowMoreMsg msg=Title]Content[/ShowMoreMsg]

and even for this I had trouble at first because I didn't change the end tag from /ShowMore to /ShowMoreMsg.

^The button must put the following in the edit box:
[ShowMoreMsg msg=_CURSOR-HERE_][/ShowMoreMsg]

*On a side note, it would have made more sense if the ShowMore tag was like this. The URL tag actually works in a similar way:
[url]http://www.somewebsite.com[/url]
[url=http://www.somewebsite.com]Some Website[/url]
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:57 am
 [ 14 posts ] 
Return to Issues & Suggestions