Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The United States is still a British Colony

[ 25 posts ] 
The United States is still a British Colony
5810SingerPosts: 982Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Post The United States is still a British Colony

If your reaction to the topic title is "WTF!" then I know exactly how you feel.

I came across this bizarre theory whilst doing some research:

http://www.civil-liberties.com/books/main.html

I haven't waded throught the entirety of it so far, a lot of it relates to US law and statute that I'm unfamiliar with, and I have to admit that the American War of Independence is not a historical event that I've studied in any great detail,....so I'm not in a position to refute this guy's spiel as yet.

I'm sure US forumites will have much to say about this, and I'd appreciate them sharing their knowledge in the areas of law and statute.
Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:52 pm
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3527Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: The United States is still a British Colony

I think the simple responce is this:
Can Britain tell the US what to do? Not really.
Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 pm
DeistPaladinUser avatarPosts: 337Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pmLocation: Louisville, KY USA

If our government is secretly being manipulated from 10 Downing Street, can I make a request that you send us a better set of presidents and other leaders?
"The (only) Word of God is the Creation we behold"
- Thomas Paine

http://www.godvsthebible.com
Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 pm
MRaverzPosts: 1838Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am Gender: Pinecone

DeistPaladin wrote:If our government is secretly being manipulated from 10 Downing Street, can I make a request that you send us a better set of presidents and other leaders?

And reveal our secret plans?! As if!
Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:09 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Haven't you noticed that both Iraq and Afghanistan were both colonies once? The Empire will rise again, piece by piece... :twisted:
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:39 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

They don't rule America from Downing street, but Mornington Crescent Tube station, or the Ministry of Serendipity as it is more correctly known. Or it would be, if it wasn't a secret.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:09 am
GrimstadUser avatarPosts: 68Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:52 am

Empirialism by proxy?
Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:47 am
DeistPaladinUser avatarPosts: 337Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pmLocation: Louisville, KY USA

MRaverz wrote:And reveal our secret plans?! As if!

Wait, I think I've figured it out.

First you send us an idiot smirking radical right wing president with his sociopathic companion (who was probably actually running the country).

Then you send us a president who fills us with hope. Then we discover he's a milquetoast moderate.

This is going to be part of a series of disastrous presidents until finally we grow tired of our independent country and yearn for the competent management that could only be possible by submitting to our new British lords. I'm on to you and LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING...

...it's working.
"The (only) Word of God is the Creation we behold"
- Thomas Paine

http://www.godvsthebible.com
Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:57 am

nasher168 wrote:Haven't you noticed that both Iraq and Afghanistan were both colonies once? The Empire will rise again, piece by piece... :twisted:

That surprised me when I found out too, and to be honest I think it would be a nice surprise if there was a conspiracy to secretly bring back the British Empire. :D

DeistPaladin wrote:This is going to be part of a series of disastrous presidents until finally we grow tired of our independent country and yearn for the competent management that could only be possible by submitting to our new British lords. I'm on to you and LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING...

We just need to work on making the UK look a bit more appealing first. :lol: So that means getting rid of Gordon Brown and finding someone qualifies to be Prime Minister. :lol:
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:35 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

MRaverz wrote:We just need to work on making the UK look a bit more appealing first. :lol: So that means getting rid of Gordon Brown and finding someone qualifies to be Prime Minister. :lol:

Well there is an election in May... But whether Cameron will be any better remains to be seen...
A great Charity
Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:01 pm

nasher168 wrote:But whether Cameron will be any better remains to be seen...

Not true.......we know exactly what Cameron will be like,....he'll be a bad photocopy of Tony Blair.
Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm going to miss the election by a few months, but if I was able to vote, then chances are it would be for the Lib Dems.
Realistically, though, the Conservatives are going to get in.
A great Charity
Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:05 pm

nasher168 wrote:I'm going to miss the election by a few months, but if I was able to vote, then chances are it would be for the Lib Dems.
Realistically, though, the Conservatives are going to get in.

I'm going to be 18 in April so I'll be able to vote, most likely for the Lib Dems. Yet it's always either the Tories or Labour and seeing as Labour isn't too popular right now, we're gonna be lumped with the Tories. Still, every vote counts and as far as I can recall a large amount of young voters tend towards the Lib Dems.

I know that Tories seem to suffer with young voters, in my area at least and I wouldn't be surprised if this was quite a Tory loving area.

Overall though, no party really seems that good.
Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:10 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Find out who your local independents are, vote Green, vote Pirate party, vote Official Monster Raving Loony, UKIP or whoever, but a vote to any representative you know nothing about personally is wasted. Go talk to them, check out their websites, email them. This country is stagnating through a lack of political diversity.
There's a possibility that my constituency will be the first to go Green, which is a good thing. We need more voices in parliament, and I think we should all make the effort to choose candidates that reflect our views, not just one who is vaguely representative of a sweeping political colour.
Seriously.

I actually think there will be a hung parliament. I'm hoping for one, anyway...
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:53 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Currently I'm torn. I'm very much consodering voting Lib Dem however knowing it's between Labour and the Tories provides me with a problem. Should I vote Labour just to keep out the Tories even though I'm not impressed with Labour? Lesser of two evils.
Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

UKIP, you mean this guy?

I hope no one will be voting for him :evil:

Greenpeace wrote:"It's extremely upsetting to see this guy saying those things in front of the Warrior. Our dear colleague Fernando Pereira was murdered the day the French secret service planted that bomb. It was an act of terror, pure and simple, and to see a member of the European Parliament lauding it is jaw-dropping. Mr Bloom owes an apology to the crew of the Warrior and to Fernando's family. If he can't bring himself to say sorry then UKIP's new leader should apologise on his behalf. We can disagree about climate change without celebrating the killing of a man."
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Not the point I was trying to make... :cry:

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55 am

You know, there's not really a party which seems to put rationalism and reason at the forefront. What I'm really interested in is scientific advancement, better education and more secular values. Equality of opportunity is next on the list.

What party does that sound most like? There's so many policies to read through.

Maybe I'll do a video summing up each party, but I don't know if I would get around to it.
Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm

@ALL BRITS

Can we get back on topic please?

Meanwhile, I'll go to Politics and Law and start an election thread. ;)
Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:41 pm

5810Singer wrote:@ALL BRITS

Can we get back on topic please?

Meanwhile, I'll go to Politics and Law and start an election thread. ;)

I apologise. xD
Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 pm
Next
 [ 25 posts ] 
Return to Conspiracy Theories