Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The ENCODE delusion

[ 13 posts ] 
The ENCODE delusion
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post The ENCODE delusion

Discussion thread for the blog entry "The ENCODE delusion" by Inferno.

Permalink: http://blog.theleagueofreason.co.uk/science/the-encode-delusion/
Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Post Re: The ENCODE delusion

Hello Inferno,

first of all thanks for that comprehensive article that introduced a completely unknown subject to me.
It took me some hours to work it all out - am glad that I did - and hope that your current and intended investigations will spread some clarifications into the public realm.

Your suggestion to add 'Epigenetics' as possible reason also came to my mind :-)

[joke]
Concluding my own assumption I'd suggest to call the non-coding DNA - MEPSGKJIC :
~ maybe erewhile proved success genes kept just in case ~
This would make it pretty obvious to the puplic that the scientists still have no clue at the given moment
[/joke]

And apart from fighting for facts a philosophical note arose in my mind:
:mrgreen: if 80% of the universe turns out to be dark matter why shouldn't this be found reflected in the genom as well?

again THX ... also for showing me a serious issue these creationists try to base on

greets ~ Vivre

edit: added MrGreen
Last edited by Vivre on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Thanks for the reply, Vivre.

Not knowing that ENCODE wasn't intendent as elevated 'encoding' I realized pretty late into the article that it's meant as something else ... and searched for it. Maybe make the first occurence a wiki-link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENCODE)?

My bad. Yes, I should have done that. But what with all the links already in the article, I simply missed it. And the Evo-Devo one too. Additionally, I was writing this with people in mind who might already have heard of the two. Again, not such a clever assumption on my part.

And the paragraph containing the listing of 'many more identified functions' (Genomicron, 2007) I would have prefered to see as
- one function per line -
to more easily realize the single points, likewise allow relaxed comparison among them

There are three reasons I did not do this:
1) They're like that in the original and I like to keep the original formatting as much as possible.
2) Had I spread them out, the paragraph would have been three or four times as long... not something I'd find appealing.
3) The packed writing screams, at least to me, "there's so much". As in "there's so many possible functions", whereas a long-ass list would have seemed thin.

I guess it's a preference of style...

if 80% of the universe turns out to be dark matter why shouldn't this be found reflected in the genom as well?

Ha! :D

Well Dark Matter doesn't have "no function" in the same way that Junk DNA does. But yours was a joke, right? It's difficult to judge, we need those damn sarcasm-tags.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 am
forgotten observerUser avatarPosts: 99Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 am

Inferno wrote: we need those damn sarcasm-tags.
Inferno Correct me I I'm wrong here but don't we already have them? Observe tuxbox's post here
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11555
(Put your mouse over the text)
"Nobody is ever born into this world as a soldier. "
—Rau Le Creuset, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Thanks, Forgottenobserver. For me, only the codes that are in button format are implemented, so I completely missed that.
Yay for sarcasm! :D
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

That tag shouldn't be used, as it will in all likelihood disappear; the tag's existence is as an implementation example.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:27 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

I'm glad the hints were appropriate, knowing you rather address towards the boardmembers at the moment ... but aiming towards the public on the long.

As for the respect of keeping quotations as pure as possible I too go with you. If I would be on topic I would likely just quick-glance over that addressed paragraph, for knowing its contains more or less. But for me it was just a pain to try to extinguish what of it was pregnant and what was additional source info.
At that point I simply made my own adapted off-line version of your article to comfort myself. (unfortunately the blog side doesn't supply a print view as alternative)

But as for 'The packed writing screams' I'd like to show you that in this case it would still stay a remarkable block of info but a thin list

Yes, sarcasm-tags might really be of need - I added a MrGreen above :mrgreen:
Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:51 pm

OMIFUCKINGGOD!!! This post was sourced over at Genomicron!

I'm famous! Muahahahah!

So excited! XD

Hey, does that count as a citation? :D

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Nice one Inferno, it was a hell of a post too.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:02 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3498Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Inferno wrote:OMIFUCKINGGOD!!! This post was sourced over at Genomicron!

I'm famous! Muahahahah!

So excited! XD

Hey, does that count as a citation? :D

:shock:

Congratulations! This is wonderful news.!
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:14 pm
YIM WWW
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3498Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Once again, Inferno, you have raised the bar for this blog and forum. I thank you for that and am honored to be apart of it.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 am
YIM WWW

See, now I can't tell if you're making fun of me or not.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:47 am

Inferno wrote:See, now I can't tell if you're making fun of me or not.

I am not. I mean everything I have said.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 13 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason