Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

A Response to Islamophobia

[ 24 posts ] 
A Response to Islamophobia
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

Post Re: A Response to Islamophobia

tuxbox wrote:
SpecialFrog wrote:Indeed, but treating Islam and Muslims as monolithic is at best unhelpful.

Islam is the religion practised by Muslims. There are over 1.5 billion Muslims.

A worldview that fails to recognize the existence of nuance is unlikely to yield useful solutions.

Again, that makes sense.

That's why it's impossible to take Sam Harris seriously as a thinker when he says that Ben Carson has a more accurate view of Islamic terrorism than Noam Chomsky because Chomsky recognizes that the cause -- and therefore the solution -- is complicated and is unwilling to say that it's all happening because of some things in the Quran.
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:36 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2952Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

SpecialFrog wrote:
tuxbox wrote:[quote="SpecialFrog"]
Indeed, but treating Islam and Muslims as monolithic is at best unhelpful.

Islam is the religion practised by Muslims. There are over 1.5 billion Muslims.

A worldview that fails to recognize the existence of nuance is unlikely to yield useful solutions.

Again, that makes sense.

That's why it's impossible to take Sam Harris seriously as a thinker when he says that Ben Carson has a more accurate view of Islamic terrorism than Noam Chomsky because Chomsky recognizes that the cause -- and therefore the solution -- is complicated and is unwilling to say that it's all happening because of some things in the Quran.[/quote]
Agreed. Harris seems to postulate that Islamists just really really believe the Qu'ran and that is why they act the way they do. He also postulates that moderate Muslims don't take their beliefs seriously which is why they aren't violent psychopaths. I don't know what authority he thinks he has to say such a thing.

His exchange with Chomsky was the most embarrassing thing I've read in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:26 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2959Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Kenyan Muslims shield Christians in Mandera bus attack

Wonder if America's right-wing media will feature this?!

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:53 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2959Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Somewhat related...

Religion and politics led to social tension and conflict, then and now

It seems Hitchens was right.

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:51 pm
Previous
 [ 24 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason