Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Serious Metaphysical Discussion

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 47 posts ] 
Serious Metaphysical Discussion
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Post Serious Metaphysical Discussion

This topic is made for the Serious discussion of Metaphysics by anyone who has studied or practices in any field that involves it with true seriousness.

Namely Niocan, Exylos, and Myself.

It's alot easier to exchange information on an open format, so I ask that this topic be kept on topic. Any slighted comments will be reported as trolling (I'm not joking about this). We're going to use this thread whenever we feel like discussing Metaphysical concepts in a serious tone - not a jockied lulfest one.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Re: Serious Metaphysical Discussion

Is it on topic to suggest a name change for this thread?

There have been many serious metaphysical discussions on the LoR, one recent thread that springs to mind is So, what is time? And are we truly free?. Is what you really want to discuss the supernatural? If so, maybe it would be better to change the name of this thread to make it clearer to others.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:33 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Occult and Spiritual Discussion would be a better term for it. But that's begging to be trolled hard.
-.-
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 am
TheExylosUser avatarPosts: 42Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:24 pm Gender: Male

I agree if he actually put what we planned to talk about it would be akin to, Putting a big target on the thread.

Though Hytegia he may be correct in the sense that with this name, people might come here for something else and open us up as well.

As for the topic Idea bare in mind bro I am a hedonist, and philosophical pagan, I follow the Roman gods but not to the letter. I tend to not do all the rituals i probably should...chuckles... But hey free sex, acceptance of sexual orientation works for me.
n the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am
5810SingerPosts: 982Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:51 pm

IMO the fact that you've excluded the vast majority of forumites from this discussion right from the start is going to attract more criticism than the subject matter, and BTW speaking as a pagan myself, thanks for being so all-inclusive........FAIL.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:05 pm
NiocanBannedUser avatarPosts: 769Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:57 amLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba Gender: Male

I think this could get very interesting :) Though we'll need something to talk about, and because each of our views will be slightly different (and rightfully so) perhaps it's best to start off with a post that contains our favorite definitions and uses of various words / topics? Something we can add to as new ideas are talked about, and it'll act as a handy little cipher to those who see with exoteric eyes, if you will ;)

Some quick examples before I edit and add more later:
Exoteric eyes - The outside, objective perspective usually guided by literalism.
Esoteric eyes - The inward, subjective perspective usually guided by symbolism.

Time - The illusion of varying separation from Source.
Source - God, The Greatest Good, Philosophical Truth; Our conception of an ever-increasing limit reaching Pure Unconditional Love / The greatest amount of coherent connectivity within All that Is.
Know, O man, that Light is thine heritage. Know that darkness is only a veil. Sealed in thine heart is brightness eternal, waiting the moment of freedom to conquer, waiting to rend the veil of the night. --Thoth
Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

On a forum setup to promote free speech by people identifying as critical thinkers and rationalists, you propose a discussion on the metaphysical?

You then propose to limit this discussion to four people, at least one of whom persists in peddling pseudo scientific bullshit throughout these boards, thus far without censorship.

You create this topic in a forum named "reason", in a subforum named "General Skepticism", and in a further subforum named "Pseudoscience", and you expect people like me not to call you out on baseless assertion and waffle?

Best of luck with that.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Squawk wrote:On a forum setup to promote free speech by people identifying as critical thinkers and rationalists, you propose a discussion on the metaphysical?

You then propose to limit this discussion to four people, at least one of whom persists in peddling pseudo scientific bullshit throughout these boards, thus far without censorship.

You create this topic in a forum named "reason", in a subforum named "General Skepticism", and in a further subforum named "Pseudoscience", and you expect people like me not to call you out on baseless assertion and waffle?

Best of luck with that.

No. I actually expected people to remain on topic.
For that I apologize with all my heart. Feel free to question skepticism and inquire with a serious tone towards the discussion, but don't derail it into "Prove it or GTFO." It's not about proving it - it's about discussing it.

---------------------

I think that there's a journey outward and a journey inward, and that these two are very simmilar. Success in one begets schievement in another, and so on and so forth.
Time is a dimension of space that we are imprinted upon forever into eternity (as Kurt Vonnegut put it: "I will live on forever, in this moment, and in all of my moments. I will be that boy in the cellar of Slaughterhouse 5. I will be the old man telling this story."
The Source is all that is both Seen and unseen, and our manipulations of such, created by a Creator Diety that lets this chaotic little experement thrive onward as it sees how things play out (or if it's even there anymore).

Either way - we're about on the same base.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 pm
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:
No. I actually expected people to remain on topic.
For that I apologize with all my heart.

You can leave the hubris by the door thanks.

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote: Feel free to question skepticism and inquire with a serious tone towards the discussion, but don't derail it into "Prove it or GTFO." It's not about proving it - it's about discussing it.

You will not now, nor ever anywhere on these boards or anywhere in live chat find me asking for "proof" except in the colloquial sense, in discussion with people who understand that "proof" would generally refer to statistical signifiance of a given condience level.

What you will find me asking for, repeatedly, is evidence, or at the very least some sound basis for a particular conjecture.

If you wish to erect postulates for which there is precisely zero empirical evidence or sound inductive reason for erecting those postulates then I shall dismiss them with exactly the same rigour as they were erected. None at all. I fail to see how one can hope to have a discussion on such entities since I can be the reductionist and boil it down to "lets discuss make believe. mine vs yours".

I don't see that such a discussion has any place on this board, I feel it's the kind of discussion reserved for pre-schoolers actually, equivalent to fairy tails, ergo I will make it my business to point out every baseless assertion as exactly what it is.

So no, I won't ask you to prove anything. But I will ask you to provide at the very least a sound rational for erecting whatever assertions you care to make or else I will, as you put it, ask you to gtfo!

You can of course provide evidence for your claims.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2681Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:This topic is made for the Serious discussion of Metaphysics by anyone who has studied or practices in any field that involves it with true seriousness.

Namely Niocan, Exylos, and Myself.

It's alot easier to exchange information on an open format, so I ask that this topic be kept on topic. Any slighted comments will be reported as trolling (I'm not joking about this). We're going to use this thread whenever we feel like discussing Metaphysical concepts in a serious tone - not a jockied lulfest one.

To be honest, this sounds like something that would be best conducted in PMs.

Hytegia, I am not sure how you can expect to get away with "cornering" a section of this forum, the League of Reason, particularly when it is on a topic that clearly falls outside the area of what people on this site accept as being reasonable or rational - especially without members chiming in with their opinions, which to you might derisive when it will most likely consist of flat-out rejection - that is, unless you could provide good arguments or arguments for these things, but you seem to disavow that notion right off the bat.

The tone on these forums is what it is, and you should not expect special treatment just because you ask for it in your initial post.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:40 pm
NiocanBannedUser avatarPosts: 769Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:57 amLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba Gender: Male

I find it quite amusing that Reason be defined as adhering to scientific literalism and over-objective materialism, instead of what it should be: The structured offspring of Thought.
So bite your tongues, swine of Babylonian confusion, as I explain the connection between the physical and metaphysical.

All creation stories, mythologies, pantheons, and mythic tales are symbols of internal operations and processes of the Pyche, or Spirit. All have within them similarities that overlap to give a blueprint of what is deemed 'Salvation', or rather, the separation of Spirit from Matter. The philosophical death is the realization of our own ignorance and the philosophical resurrection births the New Man, or awakened Mind.

You've been told a thousand times of how to become like Gautama Buddah, Yasuha, Krishna, Horus, Mithra, Zoroaster, etc. Yet you're not because your veil hasn't been lifted by yourSelf. Thus, a state of ignorance exists for all of us, to varying degrees.

It's not like they had the same terms we use today, and to judge the past cultures based upon our current education system is absurd to the highest degree. So with this in mind, Astrology becomes the inner movements of added emphasis placed on the Mind through time; Alchemy is the Divine chemistry of transmutation of which the Spirit undergoes through it's ascension; The pantheon of deities become anthropomorphized characteristics of the Mind, and their interactions and rituals are reflections of what path to take, and what to watch out for.

Is this starting to make sense? Or will you continue to walk with a veil before your eyes...
Know, O man, that Light is thine heritage. Know that darkness is only a veil. Sealed in thine heart is brightness eternal, waiting the moment of freedom to conquer, waiting to rend the veil of the night. --Thoth
Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:14 am
Raistlin MajerePosts: 228Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Antagonist:

"Hey guys, I'm a creationist and I'm going to make this topic here in the Religious Forum and talk about how awesome creationism is and what I believe and why I believe it. No one else, especially you atheists, are allowed to post here unless you're a creationist. Anyone that says anything I don't like will be reported as a troll."

League of Reason:
"lolwut?"

See the problem here?
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 am

Raistlin Majere wrote:Antagonist:
"Hey guys, I'm a creationist and I'm going to make this topic here in the Religious Forum and talk about how awesome creationism is and what I believe and why I believe it. No one else, especially you atheists, are allowed to post here unless you're a creationist. Anyone that says anything I don't like will be reported as a troll."
League of Reason:
"lolwut?"
See the problem here?

The big bang is just the scientific account of creation, and in case you didn't read my post, is merely the objective and material perspective of this same event. See the problem here?
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 am

Niocan wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:Antagonist:
League of Reason:
"lolwut?"
See the problem here?

The big bang is just the scientific account of creation, and in case you didn't read my post, is merely the objective and material perspective of this same event. See the problem here?

The Big Bang has mounds of evidence backing it as a reasonable scientific explanation of the beginning of the universe. Every example you posted above is the equivalent of me shouting in the streets that I am the leader of a reptilian race that are the creators of the universe and enjoy sexual intercourse with mythical creatures like the unicorn, leprechaun and bigfoot during our off-time. There's nothing similar about them at all, forget about them being the same event. I'm sick of you posting your mystical bullshit on the forums in the form of flowery writing designed to disguise your actual idea and befuddle the mind of the reader in order to make your post more appealing to the audience. It won't fly here.

As a blatant middle finger to this entire thread, I simply say, "Evidence, please."
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:11 am

Raistlin Majere wrote:As a blatant middle finger to this entire thread, I simply say, "Evidence, please."
Your existence is more then enough evidence of the ignorance that shrouds this world, and I'll invoke the hermetic axiom of As Above, So Below to prove the other side of this coin.
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:14 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Lol, too much Dan Brown?
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:20 am

Niocan wrote:Your existence is more then enough evidence of the ignorance that shrouds this world,

My existence is a standard for logic, reason and science, and I oppose all dipshittery that pretends to stand with any of them.

Niocan wrote:and I'll invoke the hermetic axiom of As Above, So Below to prove the other side of this coin.

What? Oh! I know this game!

Pikachu, I choose you! Use "Quick Attack"!

Am I doing it right?
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:23 am

Aught3 wrote:Lol, too much Dan Brown?
No, and I thought his movies were pretty bad.
Raistlin Majere wrote:My existence is a standard for logic, reason and science, and I oppose all dipshittery that pretends to stand with any of them.
I'd argue that your existence is a standard for pavlovian dog training (Outcome based 'education'), and NLP ingrained to discount yourSelf at any and all costs.
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 am

Outcome based education? As in the outcome of my education was that I have more knowledge in real, important fields than you do? I could agree with that. Call me a dog, or call my education the equivalent to that of a dog's training, I don't care. It's not my problem that you will invariably fail whenever a real discussion requiring evidence occurs. I don't need your occult bullshit.

Also, I'd argue that you're full of shit and need to stop trying to sway people away from rationality with ridiculous ideas and psuedo-scientific retardation. Go drink some colloidal silver and turn blue or something so I don't need to watch you spew your verbal diarrhea over a forum dedicated to everything you will never comprehend.
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:36 am

You blur process with substance, think about it.
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:38 am
Next
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 47 posts ] 
Return to Pseudoscience