Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Anti-vax

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 18
 [ 355 posts ] 

Anti-vax

In general, are you anti-vax or pro-vax?
Anti-vax  4%  [ 6 ]
Pro-vax  96%  [ 152 ]
Total votes : 158
Anti-vax
Author Message
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Anti-vax

Most of you have probably heard of Jenny McCarthy an anti-vaxxer who is on a 'crusdae' (appropriate word I think) against the number of vaccines that are given to children in particular the MMR vaccine. Something I wasn't aware of was Jim Carrey's involvement with this crowd. He's recently written a piece in the Huffington Post about it.

Image

It's called 'The Judgment of Vaccines Is In???'. First of all, Jim, three question marks does not help to emphasise your point that it is a question, in fact, it makes it hard to understand what the article is about. Is he questioning the question? Questioning a question about the question? For example, if I ask 'is Jim Carrey stupid??!?!!!?'''''''....... Do you take me more or less seriously than when I ask 'is Jim Carrey stupid?'.

Secondly, the whole article came out as a big long whine that a particular court case didn't rule your way. Well get used to it, the evidence is not on your side.

Finally, all this anti-vax talk is having an effect on the public. Parents are opting out of the vaccine programs for their children, and leaving them vulnerable to new epidemics of measles and mumps. You're making people sick, Jim, killing people. Just stop, please.

Image

Btw, what the hell does it mean to green our vaccines?


Dumb & Dumber the documentary?
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 pm
WWW
GoodKatUser avatarPosts: 776Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:07 pmLocation: Hell (South Carolina)

Post Re: Anti-vax

I used to like him...
My discussions are a search for truth, and for that search to be honest, all parties involved must be open to the prospect of being wrong.
What is there to gain in guessing about that which cannot be known?
Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 pm
OtokogoroshiUser avatarPosts: 400Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:03 amLocation: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Re: Anti-vax

These people are scared and they want something/someone to blame. The causes of autism are complicated and to lay the blame at something that is vital to protect children is irresponsible. There is little more than anecdotal evidence to support their cause which is not something you can take to court.

These people make me sick.
Tout homme sensé, tout homme de bien, doit avoir la secte chrétienne en horreur.

Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.
-Voltaire
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:40 pm
COMMUNIST FLISKUser avatarPosts: 257Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:07 pmLocation: Birmingham , UK

Post Re: Anti-vax

im pro-vax of course

im autistic and this really annoys me....

the mmr triple vaccine has been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN not to cause any form of autism, or even make any type more likely

stupid ignoramouses
ImageImage
Image
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 pm
WWW
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Post Re: Anti-vax

As far I as have hear of the story, the association whit vacines and autism it is due to the coincidence that the sympthoms of autism hapens at the age when you also start to take vacines.

I'm personaly sick whit this kind of people promoting ignorance and driving people into a seriouse health problem. I can't imagin what the heck this people have in their mind, what is wrong whit this people?
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anti-vax

Aught3 wrote:
Btw, what the hell does it mean to green our vaccines?

They are co-opting the language of the environmental movement. "Green" is a positive in most people's eyes, so an unsuspecting person might assume that this is some sort of movement to keep vaccines environment-friendly or something, as opposed to it just being Jenny McCarty and her batshit crazy beliefs?

Don't forget, she used to believe that her autistic son was actually one of the "awakened and enlightened Master Souls who carry with them Divine wisdom and Universal Truths. They are here as a soul group to share their gifts, insights, and vision, which help to energetically shift the Earth's frequency, as well as, raise the consciousness of all of humanity. They are the Trailblazers, and Spiritual Warriors, who are here to breakdown and remove old paradigm systems and beliefs, which no longer serve the greater good. They are the reminders of who we are and from where we came."

Then she found out that he was just autistic, and had to find someone or something to blame. Vaccines were an easy target, thanks to a fraudulent "study" done by Andrew Wakefield,in which data was fabricated out of thin air. This is why you shouldn't trust Playboy bunnies or actors when it comes to medical decisions.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:15 pm
SpasePosts: 135Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:25 amLocation: California, USA

Post Re: Anti-vax

When first saw the post/poll I thought you meant the VAX computer architecture. I admit this was kinda an obscure response.. but yeah... I'm randomly sharing.

Anyway!

Wow, that's stupid. It's a good thing people spend years.. and years... and years in school studying so that an actor can tell them they're wrong. There needs to be more respect given to professionals in general. If you want to argue with an expert stop and ask yourself the question, "Am I just making shit up? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about?"

*sigh*
Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anti-vax

Spase wrote:When first saw the post/poll I thought you meant the VAX computer architecture. I admit this was kinda an obscure response.. but yeah... I'm randomly sharing.

Anyway!

Wow, that's stupid. It's a good thing people spend years.. and years... and years in school studying so that an actor can tell them they're wrong. There needs to be more respect given to professionals in general. If you want to argue with an expert stop and ask yourself the question, "Am I just making shit up? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about?"

*sigh*

Oh yeah, the dangers of people who have a PhD from Google University. :roll:

It is of a kind with Creationism, anti-Global Warming, and the whole "9-11 Truth" nonsense, where the mountains of evidence are seen as evidence that all of the experts are in on the conspiracy. Claims from non-experts and unconfirmed anecdotes are taken at face value, while the advice of the people best qualified to discuss the issue are ignored. Personal feelings, claims about the motives of the experts, and unrelated claims are thrown up as a way to deflect from the utter lack of evidence for their position, and to avoid the fact that the evidence destroys their position.

If the experts say that autism isn't related to vaccines, if the evidence shows that one has nothing to do with the other, do these people think that the experts WANT their children to have autism? Do they think that the entire world is duped, except for a couple of "doctors" with dubious credentials, a comedian, and a chick famous for her rack? Really?
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:09 pm
WolfAUPosts: 564Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:56 pmLocation: Australia

Post Re: Anti-vax

Vaccines are a good thing and anyone who tells you otherwise is a moron. Not only do most protect people from the disease in question, they prevent epidemics even if only half get the vaccine, the disease being slowed by the other half means alot less people will end up sick.

That said, many vaccines could use more research and help making them safer.

Like many things these days, media likes to target parents for fearmongering, telling them that a few have caused problems in children, they freak the hell out (the desired effect).

Re the vid:
too many vaccines, well too many diseases... idiots. and we wont slow life saving progress because you have doubts.
Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:48 pm
Th1sWasATriumphLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 415Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 amLocation: About two feet behind AndromedasWake, with a brick in a sock

Post Re: Anti-vax

I quite like the brunette to the right of Jim.

Just saying.
An omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would know exactly why I don't believe in him, but would send me to hell regardless. Have I just described your God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwah_9O_4i4
Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:12 am
MappUser avatarPosts: 324Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:12 pmLocation: Washington, DC, USA

Post Re: Anti-vax

So going green apparently means pro-measles, pro-mumps, and pro-rubella. Sounds like quite the movement.
Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:09 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anti-vax

Mapp wrote:So going green apparently means pro-measles, pro-mumps, and pro-rubella. Sounds like quite the movement.

Well... if that's the price the world has to pay to keep Jenny McCarthy from having to admit that she's wrong, and that there's no one she can blame for her kid's autism, then so be it. Dead and diseased children are a small price to pay to maintain Jenny's delusions and narcissism.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:32 pm
Th1sWasATriumphLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 415Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 amLocation: About two feet behind AndromedasWake, with a brick in a sock

Post Re: Anti-vax

ImprobableJoe wrote:Don't forget, she used to believe that her autistic son was actually one of the "awakened and enlightened Master Souls who carry with them Divine wisdom and Universal Truths. They are here as a soul group to share their gifts, insights, and vision, which help to energetically shift the Earth's frequency, as well as, raise the consciousness of all of humanity. They are the Trailblazers, and Spiritual Warriors, who are here to breakdown and remove old paradigm systems and beliefs, which no longer serve the greater good. They are the reminders of who we are and from where we came."


Eh?

Seriously?
An omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would know exactly why I don't believe in him, but would send me to hell regardless. Have I just described your God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwah_9O_4i4
Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:46 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anti-vax

Th1sWasATriumph wrote:Eh?

Seriously?
I wish I were kidding...

Here's a link to the Children of the New Earth website, and a quote from Jenny McCarthy:
The day I found out I was an adult Indigo will stay with me forever. I was walking hand in hand with my son down a Los Angeles street when this women approached me and said, "You're an Indigo and your son is a Crystal." I immediately replied, "Yes!" and the woman smiled at me and walked away. I stood there for a moment, because I had no idea what the heck an Indigo and Crystal was, but I seemed so sure of it when I had blurted out "Yes!" After doing some of my own research on the word Indigo, I realized not only was I an early Indigo but my son was in fact a Crystal child.


What the fuck? According to Wikipedia, the whole Indigo/Crystal children thing is :
Indigo children is a concept developed by Nancy Anne Tappe describing children who are alleged to possess special traits or abilities. Beliefs about indigo children range from their being the next stage in human evolution, possessing paranormal abilities such as telepathy, to the belief that they are simply more empathetic and creative than their non-indigo peers. There is no science or studies that give credibility to the existence or traits of indigo children. Many children labeled "indigo" are diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Skeptics suggest that the indigo phenomenon is due to parents preferring to believe their children are special, rather than having a medical diagnosis which implies damage or imperfection. Also criticized are the traits used to describe children, which have been compared to the Forer effect - so vague as to be able to apply to anyone.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 pm
PuppetXenoPosts: 131Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:23 amLocation: out there

Post Re: Anti-vax

First I thought - green vaccines meant injecting manure instead of antibody-stimulants..

Then I watched the video and it turned out they want less vaccines for the children.. That means less prevention.. Well I dono, doesn't sound like a bright idea. Wasn't it so that vaccines just trigger your natural immune system without making you sick? So whatever, your immune system does not suffer from receiving vaccines.. It just gets prepared for any real pathogens invasion... Better safe than sorry, no? Or am I being utterly misinformed?
Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:36 pm
MazzerkhanUser avatarPosts: 42Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:01 pmLocation: UK

Post Re: Anti-vax

I think this is criminal. Any body who advises somebody NOT to vaccinate their child, based on a idiotic belief as opposed to detailed clinical reseach should be charged with willful negligence. One thing that always gets swept under the carpet is that the Dr who did the research on the MMR_autism link, had shares in a company which produced the single vaccine, he made HUGE amounts of cash. Measles, due to low vax uptake is making a come back in the UK..what next polio?
Blasphemy is a victimless crime
Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:51 pm
MachineSp1ritUser avatarPosts: 180Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:52 pmLocation: Georgia

Post Re: Anti-vax

why are they against the vaccines? because of side effects? are they against all kinds of vaccination? wtf
Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:33 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Re: Anti-vax

Mazzerkhan wrote:the Dr who did the research on the MMR_autism link, had shares in a company which produced the single vaccine, he made HUGE amounts of cash.
Not to mention he faked the data.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:50 pm
WWW
MazzerkhanUser avatarPosts: 42Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:01 pmLocation: UK

Post Re: Anti-vax

He still has a big following in the states where he now resides an still practices..I know there was a GMC investigation but don't know what the outcome was.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime
Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Penguin_FactoryPosts: 22Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 amLocation: Ireland

Post Re: Anti-vax

If I met any of these people in real life I'd slap them. They're total gobshites who are putting the health of children (not only there's but everyone's) at risk.

why are they against the vaccines? because of side effects? are they against all kinds of vaccination? wtf


As far as I know it all started with a scare story that the MMR vaccine causes autism. Since that's been disproved it's changed to opposition against "toxins" (whatever those are) in vaccines and the general belief that injecting children with stuff at an early age must be harmful, despite all evidence to the contrary.
Thu May 07, 2009 2:40 pm
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 18
 [ 355 posts ] 
Return to Pseudoscience

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest