Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

McLeroy, TX State board of Ed.

[ 8 posts ] 
McLeroy, TX State board of Ed.
FordiPosts: 102Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 am

Post McLeroy, TX State board of Ed.

Just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.

As I'm sure AronRa is aware, Don McLeroy* is the creationist Chair of the TX State Board of Education. This is his latest plea to the National Center for Science Education to get his religion-friendly science education standards past them.

He uses the Cambrian Explosion as his evidence.

I'm sending the TX State Board, for which he speaks, an e-mail concerning why use of the Cambrian Explosion as evidence against Evolution is fallacy. I'm making it clear to them what the impression is that they allow him to represent them and their positions in this way. I'm also making it clear in my correspondence, that for scientific opinions, he and they ought to defer to the scientific community, rather than allow their own inexpertise to inappropriately limit their students' education, and thus, opportunity**.

... though - to any TX residents on this forum - I'm sure that constituents would have better results. My words, coming from a random loudmouth of PA - even if correct - may have little effect.

The e-mail address is: teainfo@tea.state.tx.us

* Don McLeroy is a dentist. He is appointed as chair of the TX BoE by Rick Perry, and has been on the board since 1998.
** I mean, shit, we don't let engineers teach at medical schools; how's about the mouth carpenter not muck about in biology.
Mon May 25, 2009 8:57 pm
scikidusLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 159Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 amLocation: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy Gender: Male

Post Re: McLeroy, TX State board of Ed.

shanedk's already responded wonderfully. cdk007 has, inderectly, too.

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

"Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges - it's more like apples and sewing machines." -Jack Horner

Omnes tua castra sunt habent nobis!
Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 pm
DesertphilePosts: 2Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:54 am

Last edited by SchrodingersFinch on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed. Only the part after watch?v= goes between the youtube-tags.
Wed May 27, 2009 11:40 pm
scikidusLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 159Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 amLocation: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy Gender: Male

Desertphile wrote:

^Fixed for you.
"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

"Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges - it's more like apples and sewing machines." -Jack Horner

Omnes tua castra sunt habent nobis!
Thu May 28, 2009 2:03 am
FordiPosts: 102Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 am

As one of your subs, watched it. Still, fantastic rebuttal.
Thu May 28, 2009 6:15 am
CiraricUser avatarPosts: 172Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:28 amLocation: Scotland.

Whoever invented the idea of a "board of education" should be shot.
Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:33 pm
QuindarUser avatarPosts: 15Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:34 pmLocation: Austin, Texas Gender: Male

My contempt for Rick Perry knows no limit.
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm
shovelbum26User avatarPosts: 10Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 pmLocation: A Hole in the Ground

Sometimes I wish I could travel through time or something and just shove my foot right through his teeth. Is that too much to ask for? Using the Cambrian fossils as his evidence. Is there a cream for inbred or do we still need to find a cure for that?
Deny Shampoo! Demand real poo!
Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to Pseudoscience