Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 4
 [ 74 posts ] 
Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science
Author Message
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

Laurens wrote:As has been alluded to earlier in this topic, I really can't see why, even if climate change is a hoax (which it is not) that it would be such a bad thing to switch from our reliance on fossil fuels to more cleaner and renewable energy sources. I mean we don't have an infinite supply of oil, so we're going to need to think about what we're going to do when that runs out. And it's not like it's a change that can particularly be resisted either, as the supply of fossil fuels dwindles, the prices will go up and industry will seek cheaper alternatives.

Moving towards cleaner energy is a sensible idea even if climate change weren't an issue. The fact that it is an issue merely adds extra weight and necessity to a change that is going to have to happen anyway. I simply don't understand the mentality of denying the facts, what exactly are people trying to cling to? It's clinging to a sinking ship that's all it is...


Global warming is not a hoax, but anthropogenic global warming is most likely false. That said, I believe we should be looking for cleaner energy and try our best to preserve our rain forests and wetlands.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:Control


Of what exactly?
Image
Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:20 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:but anthropogenic global warming is most likely false

So you think that is not happening what we have predicted that should happen and observe to be happening?
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2923Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:Global warming is not a hoax, but anthropogenic global warming is most likely false. That said, I believe we should be looking for cleaner energy and try our best to preserve our rain forests and wetlands.


To me its simple, Humans dig up vast stores of Carbon that have been locked beneath the Earth for millions of years and then burn them at an alarming rate to release CO2 into the atmosphere. It has been known that CO2 has a warming effect for centuries. The fact that we are adding it to the atmosphere whilst also chopping down rainforests (which absorb CO2)at an equally alarming rate makes it pretty obvious that we are most likely the cause of the problem, or at least a major contributor towards it.

I'm curious to know, do you think the aforementioned activity has any affect on the climate at all?
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2473Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:
Uh, so you've established their agenda. Can I ask why they're doing this and what they're gaining from it?

What's the motivation of propagating this supposed hoax?


Control


I'm sorry, but I don't buy that for a single second, so you'll have to provide me with some hefty sourceage.

And as armpits already asked: control of what?

I realize that there are monetary interests in all this, but that mostly speaks against the motivations of the AGW deniers.

However, I think you are actually being somewhat naive if you think all the people involved here are sinister powermongers who are vying for "control" - whatever kind of control that would actually be. No, I don't even think the deniers are evil either, but it's a perfectly natural reaction to defend one's income (let's just use that word), even to the point of cognitive dissonance.
And most of the proponents of AGW are just regular scientists, who I should think are fully aware of the fact that "control", in any particularly important shape or form, will never really be theirs.

You may think I'm being naive here, but I think we've all seen enough about the psychology involved in... everything... to know that people generally aren't black & white versions of good & evil.

I mean, I accept AGW, and I am pretty sure I'm not out for control, but to make a better future for our world.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 am
scalyblueUser avatarPosts: 1417Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 am

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

Why is it always the rainforests? IIRC, the ocean sequesters significantly more carbon than all terrestrial plants, and anything that increases ocean temperature can have a much more drastic effect than razing all the forests to the ground. I don't have any evidence of this at hand because I'm not at my pc.
_________________
悪夢の王の一片よ
空のいましめ解き放たれし
凍れる黒き虚無の刃よ
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:43 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

australopithecus wrote:
tuxbox wrote:Control


Of what exactly?



Human behavior. The far left is not much different than the far right, both want to control our behavior. The only difference is how they try to accomplish it. The far right tries to do this via religion and government and the far left try via science and government.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:18 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

Laurens wrote:
tuxbox wrote:Global warming is not a hoax, but anthropogenic global warming is most likely false. That said, I believe we should be looking for cleaner energy and try our best to preserve our rain forests and wetlands.


To me its simple, Humans dig up vast stores of Carbon that have been locked beneath the Earth for millions of years and then burn them at an alarming rate to release CO2 into the atmosphere. It has been known that CO2 has a warming effect for centuries. The fact that we are adding it to the atmosphere whilst also chopping down rainforests (which absorb CO2)at an equally alarming rate makes it pretty obvious that we are most likely the cause of the problem, or at least a major contributor towards it.

I'm curious to know, do you think the aforementioned activity has any affect on the climate at all?


While there is plenty of evidence that humans and modern society are contributing to global warming, there is zero evidence that humans have caused it. In fact, the evidence shows that the earth's temperature has been climbing at a steady rate since the end of the last ice age.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:
Human behavior. The far left is not much different than the far right, both want to control our behavior. The only difference is how they try to accomplish it. The far right tries to do this via religion and government and the far left try via science and government.



"The far left" that has the power to influence world politics doesn't exist except in the fevered imagination of the patsies of the parasitic capitalists and such. Most of the more influential governments like the United States, Canada, and whatever those crazy Brits are doing are all centrist-conservative at best.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:
While there is plenty of evidence that humans and modern society are contributing to global warming, there is zero evidence that humans have caused it.

... once you claim that all the evidence that humans caused it is dismissed as a giant conspiracy?

You should really consider how much you are using creationist-style rhetoric on this one.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

ImprobableJoe wrote:
... once you claim that all the evidence that humans caused it is dismissed as a giant conspiracy?


It is pretty hard to dismiss evidence that does not exist. This planet's climate has always been dynamic and more than likely always will be, with or without humans.

Image

ImprobableJoe wrote:
You should really consider how much you are using creationist-style rhetoric on this one.


:lol:
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:53 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:
ImprobableJoe wrote:
You should really consider how much you are using creationist-style rhetoric on this one.


:lol:



Seriously. Worldwide conspiracy of "far left" scientists covering up "the truth" is right out of the creationist handbook. It isn't my fault you're falling into the same loony-toons trap.

... and not for nothing, but it is the same paranoia-based political movement that claims global warming is a hoax that also thinks evolution is a hoax, and Obama is a Kenyan Marxist Socialist Muslim Atheist. You might want to consider that.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:55 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

ImprobableJoe wrote:

Seriously. Worldwide conspiracy of "far left" scientists covering up "the truth" is right out of the creationist handbook. It isn't my fault you're falling into the same loony-toons trap.


Why else would they throw "anthropogenic" in front of global warming when the evidence does not support it?
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:59 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:
Why else would they throw "anthropogenic" in front of global warming when the evidence does not support it?

Because the scientists say that the evidence DOES support it. Unless you think that you and the creationists know better than the scientists?
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:08 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

ImprobableJoe wrote:
tuxbox wrote:
Why else would they throw "anthropogenic" in front of global warming when the evidence does not support it?

Because the scientists say that the evidence DOES support it. Unless you think that you and the creationists know better than the scientists?


The evidence only supports human cause global warming if you only look at the data of the last couple of centuries and ignore the earth's entire climate history. Which is exactly what they are doing.

Christopher Scotese, the creator of the Paleomap Project, is not a creationists. Anthropogenic global warming is false, unless they are willing to say humans caused the last ice age to end.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:31 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:
The evidence only supports human cause global warming if you only look at the data of the last couple of centuries and ignore the earth's entire climate history. Which is exactly what they are doing.

Christopher Scotese, the creator of the Paleomap Project, is not a creationists. Anthropogenic global warming is false, unless they are willing to say humans caused the last ice age to end.



Ummmm.... that's the dumbest thing I've read all day. (*edit* second dumbest... Michele Bachmann said something)

Do you even know what climate scientists are saying?
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:40 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3123Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Wow, a climate change denier after Dr. Richard Muller and the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project. Tell me [tuxbox], what is your opinion on all the work done by Muller and the rest of his team?
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 am
YIM WWW
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

ImprobableJoe wrote:

Ummmm.... that's the dumbest thing I've read all day. (*edit* second dumbest... Michele Bachmann said something)


lmao

ImprobableJoe wrote:
Do you even know what climate scientists are saying?


Yep
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 am
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:Wow, a climate change denier after Dr. Richard Muller and the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project. Tell me [tuxbox], what is your opinion on all the work done by Muller and the rest of his team?


I am not a global warming denier and I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion. As for BEST, from what I can tell they are doing great work.
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3123Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Anthropogenic global warming: biggest hoax in science

tuxbox wrote:I am not a global warming denier and I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion. As for BEST, from what I can tell they are doing great work.


Sorry, anthropogenic global warming denier. You do understand that the great work done by BEST supports anthropogenic climate change, right?
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 am
YIM WWW
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 4
 [ 74 posts ] 
Return to Pseudoscience

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
cron