Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Future of the automobile?

[ 25 posts ] 
Future of the automobile?
Time LordUser avatarPosts: 56Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:48 pmLocation: Aylesbury Gender: Male

Post Re: Future of the automobile?

i rekon that in the future we will be using anti-matter for fuel because if we can collide it with matter and conatin the energy it produces we should be able to get the cleanest energy possiable.
Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:12 pm
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1136Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Time Lord wrote:i rekon that in the future we will be using anti-matter for fuel because if we can collide it with matter and conatin the energy it produces we should be able to get the cleanest energy possiable.

The only way that would work would be if we had a way to make antimatter that costs less energy to make than it delivers when used. I don't see this happening so I doubt that it would ever be used as an energy source.

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:56 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatar
Posts: 2693Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Anti matter powered cars? What happens if there is a car accident? Evaporate this side of the globe?
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 pm
NetheralianUser avatarPosts: 357Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:13 pmLocation: Underwater world Gender: Cake

Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:
Time Lord wrote:i rekon that in the future we will be using anti-matter for fuel because if we can collide it with matter and conatin the energy it produces we should be able to get the cleanest energy possiable.

The only way that would work would be if we had a way to make antimatter that costs less energy to make than it delivers when used. I don't see this happening so I doubt that it would ever be used as an energy source.

That's not necessarily true - the value in antimatter is energy density. Even if it cost you more energy to produce, the fact that you can drive around for a couple of years on a thimble of fuel could be the determining factor. Assuming you actually have the technical capability to use antimatter in that way, then I would imagine the ability to create cheap energy is already a given and hence the conversion efficiency may be irrelevant...
Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:08 pm
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Let us just agree then that, whether antimatter is practicable as a fuel or not, it is not likely to be implemented in the foreseeable future. Speculation regarding its use is pointless therefore.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:04 pm
Previous
 [ 25 posts ] 
Return to Technology/Engineering