Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Quick question regarding RAM compatibility

[ 5 posts ] 
Quick question regarding RAM compatibility
SparkyUser avatarPosts: 148Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:17 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Quick question regarding RAM compatibility

I just bought some DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz. The i-7 processor I am getting only supports DDR3 RAM up to 1066MHz (all i-7's only support 1066MHz DDR3 RAM weirdly).

Does anyone know whether my RAM will work but just at 1066MHz (what I assumed when buying the RAM) or will it not work at all or is it fairly system dependent (i.e dependent on motherboard, etc too)?

I would usually check more thoroughly before buying but I have a mate who will buy it off me if it doesn't work with my setup so I just got it without worrying about it too much.
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
~Andre Gide
Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 pm
MineMineMineUser avatarPosts: 130Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:39 pm Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Quick question regarding RAM compatibility

my guess is that it should work just fine.

but i don't know though
"I feel almost as powerful as an exposed nipple."
- P.Z. Myers
Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:18 am
scalyblueUser avatarPosts: 1417Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 am

Most quality RAM will have the capability of SPD (Serial Presence Detect) and can pass on information regarding its timing and CAS latency to the mainboard. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:43 am
SparkyUser avatarPosts: 148Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:17 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Thanks scalyblue. Well I guess I'll be able to test whether you're right in week once I get the rest of my PC components and have some time to piece them together!
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
~Andre Gide
Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:30 am
FaithlessThinkerUser avatarPosts: 618Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Cake

You will merely have a bottleneck effect. Your RAM will function, but at the lowest speed possible.

It seems you have taken a Bloomfield or Gulftown processor. Maybe you should have taken Lynnfield instead.
It was my honest attempt to find a more pure form of God that made me realise that there was none.”
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Previously known as anon1986sing. You can call me FT. :)
Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:36 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Return to Technology/Engineering