Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Sherwood question

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
Sherwood question
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Post Sherwood question

I have a question. Is the equation for the average sherwood number for a cylinder parallel to a flow outside the cylinder 0.664*(Re^0.5)*Sc^(1/3)?
Thanks in advanced.

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 pm
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Sherwood question

It might depend on what your Re is.

Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot has this for the Nusselt number, but I think it should be directly analogous. It's only for Re < 10^5 though.

Sh = [0.4*Re^0.5 + 0.06*Re^(2/3)] Sc^0.4 [viscosity(bulk)/viscosity(surface)]^0.25

I imagine the viscosity ratio could probably be ignored if you didn't have a temperature gradient at which point it would look very similar to yours.

If I remember when I get home I can check my notes for any other formulations.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 pm
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1137Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Post Re: Sherwood question

I already found it. It was for a turbulent flow and it is 0.0292Re^0.8*Sc^(1/3)
thanks for your help though.
Lock thread please?

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
Return to Technology/Engineering