Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

A daft question perhaps...

[ 10 posts ] 
A daft question perhaps...
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Post A daft question perhaps...

I have a 32-bit version of Windows. Will a 64-bit version of Java work on it?

If yes, how do I go about acquiring a 64-bit version?

Specifically, I'm trying to play Minecraft in 64-bit Java to get around an annoying crash.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm
SnufkinPosts: 55Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:02 am

Post Re: A daft question perhaps...

I don't think you can.
64 bit software is made to work with 64 bit architecture, a 32 bit OS wouldn't understand the instructions.

You might be able to install VirtualBox or some other virtualization software that allows emulation of a 64 bit OS (if you don't have a 64bit windows CD you'd need to download a 64 bit linux distro to install on it).
Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:33 pm
Master_Ghost_KnightContributorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pmLocation: Netherlands Gender: Male

Short answer, No!
If your Java system isn't working right then reinstall a proper version, if it is only minecraft that it is not working right then go complain to the developers of minecraft. I have no idea where did you get the idea that installing a 64bit version would help, it just doesn't.
"I have an irrefutable argument for the existence of...." NO, STOP! You are already wrong!
Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:19 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Fair enough, then. It's not too big a deal, TBH.

Master_Ghost_Knight wrote:I have no idea where did you get the idea that installing a 64bit version would help, it just doesn't.

From the game itself, as it happens. Putting it on to certain, higher settings makes red writing pop up recommending I only do that with a 64-bit version. I can still do it, but I suspect some crashes are linked to it.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:37 pm
KittenKoderPosts: 65Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm Gender: Cake

No.

Java coder here. ;)

It will not, simple method, you can only use lower bit counts than the OS. So a 64 bit OS could run a 32 bit program, but, and here's why it's better to get the same bit count, it will not run nearly as well.

As for Java, there has been a bit of a rush by Oracle to streamline and improve Java lately, so there is a chance you got an update in Java that would make older programs not work, depending on how well the programs were written. This is why versioning of an application is really important. The Java VM cannot know which opcodes go where without the application's preferred version being in a reasonable range, so it has to guess, which will lead to crashes.

So yeah, tell the Minecraft dev team they need to fix their code. If you can open the Java console during play, see what it outputs when it crashes, that can help a lot. I don't remember how to open that in Windows though as I have not even bothered touching it in more than a decade.

Oh, almost forgot, also make sure you have the official Java installed, a while ago Windows kept installing a MS knock off over the official Java libraries and that was causing a LOT of serious crashes.
Gone
Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 pm
scalyblueUser avatarPosts: 1417Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 am

The way minecraft is built, any sufficiently sized world can overflow 32 bit registers on even simple values. Minecraft was built around 64 bit and using it on 32 is admittedly a kludge.
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4994Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Ah, Java. Saying it's nice because it works on all OSes is like saying anal sex is nice because it works on all genders.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:21 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1169Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

scalyblue wrote:The way minecraft is built, any sufficiently sized world can overflow 32 bit registers on even simple values. Minecraft was built around 64 bit and using it on 32 is admittedly a kludge.

Could you elaborate on this? For Java it does't matter which OS you're using, 32 or 64 bit, types have the same size on both.

@Prole, you and your anal jokes :P
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm
malicious_blokeUser avatarPosts: 305Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:12 pmLocation: Proper Westcountry Gender: Male

nasher168 wrote:Fair enough, then. It's not too big a deal, TBH.

Master_Ghost_Knight wrote:I have no idea where did you get the idea that installing a 64bit version would help, it just doesn't.

From the game itself, as it happens. Putting it on to certain, higher settings makes red writing pop up recommending I only do that with a 64-bit version. I can still do it, but I suspect some crashes are linked to it.

Yeah I get that when I try and set the render distance to Far. The easiest solution is just to leave it on normal, this sucks if you want to make screenshots of your epic creations but otherwise it's fine as a workaround.

Or I could update my OS, but I really can't be bothered.
[sarcasm ][/sarcasm ]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it
Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:12 pm
CEbbesenPosts: 224Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 amLocation: Seoul, South Korea. Gender: Male

Why would you run 32 bit anyways? :)
Nvidia, Fuck you!
- Linus Torvalds
Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:36 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
Return to Technology/Engineering