Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Man From Earth

[ 8 posts ] 
The Man From Earth
entermanUser avatarPosts: 148Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:06 pm

Post The Man From Earth

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/njU5CsrYfKM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/njU5CsrYfKM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube] Just watched this gem tonight. The trailer doesn't do it justice. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/ Extremely good movie. Thoughts or opinions on it for those that have seen it?
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:07 am
SchrodingersFinchLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 275Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pmLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: The Man From Earth

I watched it a few days ago.
Great movie, but I think it would have been better as a book.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt."
- Richard P. Feynman
Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:21 pm
entermanUser avatarPosts: 148Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:06 pm

SchrodingersFinch wrote:I watched it a few days ago.
Great movie, but I think it would have been better as a book.

Yes I thought the same thing. The setting was really simple but it was still quite good and came from a renowned sci-fi writer.
Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:36 pm
WobWobPosts: 21Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:46 pmLocation: Denmark

I saw this a while ago, and found myself surprised when it ended that i had already sat through a feature lenght film, it felt more like only 20 minutes had passed. It's nice how captivating writing and and a tiny budget can make something, that far exceeds your run of the mill multimillion $ Hollywood production in entertainment value.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shakes, the shakes becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:18 pm
Entropic ParticleUser avatarPosts: 13Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:52 amLocation: VA Beach, VA

I saw this movie a while ago too. I loved it. It is one of those movies where it is no action, just straight dialogue, and it takes good writers to pull it off. It's a good change from most movies.
"We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars."
Carl Sagan
Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm
completelybonkersUser avatarPosts: 18Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:39 amLocation: The Baltics

The simple and humble setting really appealed to me. I also liked the ending.
For a movie with no action and just dialogue I was really glued to my seat.

There's a thread on its imdb page where someone claimed it turned them into an atheist. One more reason to like the movie.
Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 am
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3527Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

This was amazing.

Kind of reminded me of "Primer: what happens if it actually works?" in that dialogue is the focus of the movie. Hmm, any others like this? Turns out I am a fan of dialogue.
Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:36 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1210Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

borrofburi wrote:This was amazing.

Kind of reminded me of "Primer: what happens if it actually works?" in that dialogue is the focus of the movie. Hmm, any others like this? Turns out I am a fan of dialogue.

Maybe not exactly like this, but "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" (a sequel) have loads of dialogue, especially the latter. They are more of a romance or something, nothing to do with sci-fi or any kind of action movies but. Basically two people wander through a city (Vienna and Paris respectively) and discuss many different things.

Actually I think that dialogues in these two movies are far better written than those in The Man from Earth. I'd say that acting is also better but I'm no film critic. I think that dialogues and acting in The Man form Earth weren't the best but the idea of a man who survived through all those centuries makes it one of my favourites.

Here are imdb links:

Before Sunrise

Before Sunset
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:55 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries