Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Man of Steel

[ 14 posts ] 
Man of Steel
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Man of Steel

The ugly:
Some of the fighting between Kryptonians was a bit flakey, trying to make the fighting tactics unique gave it too much of an Xbox sheen.
Zod has only one dimension, despite the special effects.

The bad:
Perry White. Larry, you lost me.

The good:
Dude who played Supes. No chemistry with Lois Lane, but that's forgivable given the amount of plot.

The jizz in my pants:
Krypton. The first maybe twenty minutes are spent there, giving us decent motivations for both Jor-El and Zod.
Liquid metal technology. Frak me that stuff was cool.
Little things like when Superman was knocked down rather severely by Zod, and one expects Superman to rise via hands and knees in a somewhat dazed or weakened manner, and he just floats up into his flying pose. Cracked me up.

Very good job for a pretty boring character. Good enough to make money and justify a JLA movie, I'd say.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:33 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4260Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Man of Steel

Is it (assuming you've read it) still loosely based on the Birthright graphic novel, as I was lead to believe?
Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:13 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

I haven't read it (not much of a Superman chap), but gave the wiki entry a quick glance and it seems that they've taken some of the ideas from there (the use of symbolic clothing is passed on by Jor-El, not an African tribe for example). Definitely, as the article says, inspired by.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 am
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4260Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Sweetabix. I would have prefered it to have been based on Red Son, but whatevs.
Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 am

Yeah! We can dream... Kingdom come, thy will be done.

Edit: Oh yeah, no John Williams score.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:33 am

Well that sucks. Was Clark played as the bumbling fool as well he should? That's a deal breaker for me, none of that Dean Cain Kent thank you very much.

On a related note, I totally forgot about Kingdom Come. That'll do as a JLA movie (obviously replacing Alan Scott with Hal).
Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:03 am

Nah, I don't think that leitmotif would've had a place in that film.

Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet, only shows up in the last minute or so. I'm saying no more :P

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 am
NemesiahPosts: 429Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 8:00 amLocation: Mexico Gender: Male

Not a great movie but good enough to justify the addmison ticket price, Kripton was gorgeous, Some parts were VERY rushed, a few plotholes, but a nice movie going experience I believe. Do bring some coffe for the middle of the movie as it halts to a crawl for a good half an hour.
Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:41 am

The film was never going to be as bad as Superman 3 & 4, so I'm allowing my expectations to be raised slightly.
Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:58 am

Overall though, I want to see it again. Now! I recommend to anyone who has or hasn't heard of Superman.
Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Nah, let Marvel have the primary palette. I think it makes sense, as DC is somewhat more fantastic than Marvel (magic rings vs. mutations) and a grittier look works for me.
Anyway, DC has Barry Allen, Jaime Reyes, and Hal Jordan if they want to add a touch of colour.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 pm
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

Same for me. I like basic colours in e.g. the 90's x-man cartoons, but if they were to dress, say, a Wolverine in a bright yellow and brown/black for a film I'd probably walk out :P

Saw Man of Steel just now. Liked it, but wasn't blown away.

Anyway, all things considered, worth the ticket. Enjoyed myself, especially after having switched on my *do-not-care-about-inconsistencies-etc* button.
If they're making a second though, I'll only go and see it if it does not have Lex Luthor.
Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:00 am
DaealisUser avatarPosts: 235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pmLocation: Tampere

I for one was fed up with the perfect posterboy Superman they've got in the previous movies. I do not like the character. I think I've seen them all, but by any measure are they my favorites.

Until I saw this movie. I feel it's a refreshing take on the alien and the movie FINALLY shows a proper Kryptonian combat on earth, where a punch packs enough energy to throw a guy through four buildings. They almost level a little town with a little bit of fisticuffs.

Kal-El is not potrayed as a perfect protector, but someone with real problems. The movie puts him face to face with decision that have no good outcomes. You're screwed either way, and he is torn with the decisions.

A friend of mine who went even as far as to say that he hates Superman, liked this movie. One of the best revamps of a franchise so far.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:36 pm
 [ 14 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries