Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

American TV becoming more Ethnic?

[ 12 posts ] 
American TV becoming more Ethnic?
OtokogoroshiUser avatarPosts: 400Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:03 amLocation: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post American TV becoming more Ethnic?

I've noticed recently (last six months) more and more commercials are showing ethnic families. Everything from cereal to feminine hygiene products. Granted most of these ethnic families have been black, which hey is great! We don't live in this white washed world full of blonds with blue eyes... what is this, Iceland!? (sorry if anyone is an Icelander >.>)

I would like to see a greater variety. Asians, Latinos, whatever!

Random topic is random I realize. Any thoughts anyone?
Tout homme sensé, tout homme de bien, doit avoir la secte chrétienne en horreur.

Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.
-Voltaire
Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:16 am
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: American TV becoming more Ethnic?

What I always think is weird is that in commercials, black people don't have any white friends... even though every house in every television show and commercial is worth at least $500,000.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:18 am
SynystyrUser avatarPosts: 68Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 pm

They still always show white guys breaking into houses in ADT commercials. They could switch it up once in a while, sensitive asses.
This signiture was created by god and is a perfect
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:04 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Synystyr wrote:They still always show white guys breaking into houses in ADT commercials. They could switch it up once in a while, sensitive asses.

There aren't many black people within 30 miles of the million-dollar homes they show in those commercials.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm
SpasePosts: 135Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:25 amLocation: California, USA

Obama made ethnic sexy.

Seriously. The correlation is a little strange.
Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 pm
ebbixxUser avatarPosts: 227Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 amLocation: Nüå Jøïzæð

ImprobableJoe wrote:There aren't many black people within 30 miles of the million-dollar homes they show in those commercials.

Puh-lease. Most million-dollar homes in my area are located within blocks of run-down housing and a very mixed-ethnicity population. Then again, I do live in Dr. Gregory House's neighborhood, or what would be his neighborhood if they didn't shoot most of the show in LA studios, and keep sneaking in shots of certain LA neighborhoods that slightly resemble Trenton.
Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:42 pm
Kattarina98Posts: 22Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Whenever US citizens use the word ethnic I feel puzzled: Does this mean that citizens of European descent are "standard" and everyone else is ethnic? Or is "standard" everyone of British origin - sometimes I read "ethnic" in the context of Eastern or Southern Europeans.
Frankly, I am not comfortable with this word. But perhaps that's my ideosyncrasy.
Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:52 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

^That's a good point.
Would minority be a better word?
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 pm
Kattarina98Posts: 22Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Hey, I like that! (heaving a sigh of relief).
Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:02 pm
ebbixxUser avatarPosts: 227Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 amLocation: Nüå Jøïzæð

Aught3 wrote:^That's a good point.
Would minority be a better word?

Probably not. It should only be a matter of a few decades at most before Americans of "northern European" ethnicity are also well under 50% of the population, if they're not so already. And "white" (read: Northern European ethnic origin) Americans have long been well-represented in the lower ranges of income distribution, usually referred to charmingly as "trailer trash," or "rednecks" and just as likely to be regarded as unwelcome in the gated communities where most real homes looking much like a TV ad are often presumed to be located.

But in any case, thanks Kattarina for that catch.
Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:50 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Ethnically varied?
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 pm
OtokogoroshiUser avatarPosts: 400Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:03 amLocation: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Almost any term used to describe people of certain 'races' is silly and trivial. After all we're all part of the same race, the human race and separating us up by color is ridiculous and because not everyone stays in the same place they were born even words to describe their region can't be used reliably.

Ethnic was the best I could come up with and minority is just as weak of a term.
Tout homme sensé, tout homme de bien, doit avoir la secte chrétienne en horreur.

Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.
-Voltaire
Thu May 07, 2009 3:53 pm
 [ 12 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries